• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cedar's Rally Class

Moviedust

Cedar and I went to our first rally class this week. I had a very limited understanding about what rally was to begin with; My main goals for enrolling were to get Cedar socialized and for the two of us to do more stuff together. Looking at the list of signs given to us by the trainer, though, I can see that I had better keep my expectations low!!

For our first lesson, we worked with some of the most basic signs/commands. It was clear that Cedar is obviously the smallest dog there but perhaps even the youngest. She also appears to be the least trained. :S Most of the dogs are large breed and they all pretty much knew all the commands from the first lesson. Cedar didnt know "stand" at all, so we are working on that. She also had to get a refresher on staying while I walked around her (she stayed sat, but she scooted around 180 degree so she could watch me go around her :roll: ). She SHOULD know how to go from a down to a sit, but when we did it in class she wouldnt do it. When we were going through the course individually--with everyone watching--and we reached the final sign (halt/sit/down/sit), she did great with stopping, sitting, and downing. However, when I said sit the second time, she rolled over on her back belly up and tail wagging. The entire class awwwwed and giggled, saying "too cute!". This is the exact same thing she did (with the exact same audience encouragement!) during her CGC test. It's like she knows it's the last command and wants to ham it up rather than obey. :roll:

At least she was having a good time. As I said, I have to keep my expectations pretty low. :flwr:

I like the idea of Rally being a bridge between CGC and formal obedience competition.

Last fall I volunteered to steward Rally at the Dobeman Nationals. What I discovered was that many of the dogs had already earned obedience titles. That is probably why many of the other dogs in class seem more advanced than Cedar.

I think Rally is a fun way to review the skills you know and learn others. (Lacey did not know stand when we started class either.) Boy, this makes me want to get back in another Rally class.

Bridgette, Lacey & Tilly

Thanks for replying! It is definitely a good perspective to consider that the other dogs in Cedar's class could already be showing in obedience trials. Even if that's not the case (I have no idea), at least it makes me feel a bit better!!

We had our second class tonight, and Cedar did really well. I was very pleased. She's got her sit/walk around and down/walk around figured out, and she picked up the moving down really quickly in class. Less then two minutes! She is even improving with the stand command. It is coming along a bit more slowly, but she did do it once perfectly without any underbody handling. So I know she's on her way.

Most of tonight's lessons had to do with the turns. Cedar learned how to heal and do all those turns while she was loose lead training, so most of tonight's learning curve was for me to figure out those signs! I get motion sick really easily, so by the end of the class, after doing all those turns, I was reeling. I hope Cedar doesnt get mad when we loose points in competition when I puke in the middle of the course. :S

Moviedust wrote:
I get motion sick really easily, so by the end of the class, after doing all those turns, I was reeling.

Oh dear....just wait until you get to spirals! Be sure to bring your airsickness bag with you!

Monty and I are doing our first ever trials tomorrow. We are entered in Novice A which means a dog with no titles and a handler who has never titled a dog, "Newbies" :dgwlk:

I hope I don't get lost on the course.
J.

Good luck to you Jay!

I envy your position. Lacey and I never got a chance to do real competition because my other Cav, Tilly, became seriously ill.

I'm am so excited for you! You two will do fine. For me, the real challenge was to not get lost on the course!

Bridgette, Lacey & Tilly

I have never even heard of 'rally' so will have to check this out. You are doing it for all the right reasons -- to have fun with Cedar -- so I wouldn't worry about all the others with perfect down stays!! :lol: I know what you mean about motion sickness when doing lots of turns and so on -- same thing happens to me. :*gh:

Jay, that's exactly what the trainer said when she heard me say "I'm getting dizzy!" I wonder when we'll start spirals? I had better take my dramamine!

Karlin: I didnt know much about rally O, either, and I work at the same university of the man who invented it!! It's a growing sport here in the US. It's sorta like a combination between obedience and agility. A handler and the dog work through a course. The course is set up with different stations. At each station, a sign tells the handler what obedience command she and the dog need to perform. The dog-handler team is scored, with different deductions for different types of errors. In competition, the total score and the time to complete the course work to rank each team in the competition.

Here's the website from the inventor: http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~kramerc/home.htm

Moviedust said:
Jay, that's exactly what the trainer said when she heard me say "I'm getting dizzy!" I wonder when we'll start spirals? I had better take my dramamine!

Karlin: I didnt know much about rally O, either, and I work at the same university of the man who invented it!! It's a growing sport here in the US. It's sorta like a combination between obedience and agility. A handler and the dog work through a course. The course is set up with different stations. At each station, a sign tells the handler what obedience command she and the dog need to perform. The dog-handler team is scored, with different deductions for different types of errors. In competition, the total score and the time to complete the course work to rank each team in the competition.

Here's the website from the inventor: http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~kramerc/home.htm

Thanks for the site, I've been looking into this for Gus. I think he'd be good at either rally or agility, and our training facility offers both.

Thanks for the link and explanation; I was talking about this with the Dog Training Ireland folks and they are interested in learning more too. Sounds really fun!

Just wanted to let you know how Monty and I did on our first ever weekend of Rally O trials. Monty (and I) received qualifying scores on both runs! We barely squeaked by on Saturday but improved by 10 points on Sunday. We had a good time and we actually got a couple of ribbons to boot. He (we) need to qualify in one more run to get our rally novice title. We are looking for a trial to enter so that we can hopefully earn that last leg. The jump up to Advanced is huge so after novice, we will practice, practice, practice. Gem is in training also. She is still a little flighty but we will start trialling with her as soon as we can. It was a lot of fun and I know what we need to improve on....faster sits and overall faster between stations (to keep Monty more focused). Rally is a fun way to improve obedience skills and to develop teamwork with your dog. As with all dog sports, keep it FUN!
We are also training for agility, but not quite ready for trials.
J.

:rah: :rah:

It's wonderful that so many people are doing such fun things with their dogs! I like the sound of rally; I will now have to push Tara and Lisa to look into it... *poke, poke* :lol:

Jay said:
Just wanted to let you know how Monty and I did on our first ever weekend of Rally O trials. Monty (and I) received qualifying scores on both runs!

Good work, Jay!! I dont know if Cedar and I will ever compete. We'll see. Right now, we just enjoy going to the classes.

We had our 3rd class tonight and we worked on front calls and finishes. We also worked on pivots and formal stays. Thanks goodness no spirals yet!!

Right now, Cedar needs to work on her heel sit. She sits on a hault, but she sits so that she can see up to me. That means she sits a bit away and faces me rather than straight forward. :S We treat train, so she's looking for that treat. I think I'll get a clicker and start working with that. Hopefully, as she learns the sound as a reward, she'll be less inclined to look up. We'll see, anyway. That's our focus in this next week. I've already given DH his instructions on how to make Cedar do a formal heel before giving her any treat. ;)

Oh if you get a chance to compete, I highly recommend it, even if you just do novice level. It was a lot of fun! (a little expensive though, $50 dollars for both days). If you never have competed in Rally, you will compete in Novice A, which is what we did. The judges were so great. They helped us walk the course, and helped explain the signs to make sure that we understood what they were looking for, gave us pointers and lots of support. I was really surprised when Monty qualified on Saturday. The judges want people to get involved in the sport and hopefully move on to formal obedience. Once Monty gets his last qualifying leg, it will be a big jump to the next level, but we are looking forward to it. I will start Gem competing once Monty gets his RN. Poor Gem will have to compete in Novice B level. There were around 26-28 dogs competing at that level this last weekend. I am sure she will qualify (eventually) but I doubt she will earn a ribbon, but you never know! You are really only competing against yourself. What you are looking to do is qualify. We are now getting our show set up together. We are going to dig the EZ up out of the garage and are looking to buy a really nice mat and a hand cart to transport everything. My husband was even jokingly starting to talk about buying a RV. I nixed that one :swear:
J.

Back