My new pup (7mos.), Grace has been having problems with loose stools and diarrhea - it isn't constant but more intermittent. I put her on Lamb and Rice kibble and her stools got a lot better, but then there was one that was back to the messy gunky stage with what looked like some blood. Well I freaked and grabbed up the sample and ran it to the vet.
They checked it for worms and it was negative (I thought it might be Giardia) and then the vet told her assistant that she was putting Grace on antibiotics (she wanted to do that earlier but I resisted). I never saw the vet in person as she was in surgery but her assistant ran back and forth with messages. I had been calling her and maybe overreacting about the diarrhea.
It has been going on for about 5 weeks now but it does seem to be getting less frequent. I don't know whether I led the vet to believe it was a lot more than it was but now I think she's overreacted. I gave Grace the first day's dosage of both meds and a couple of hours after the last one of two Grace seemed very lethargic uncharacteristically sleeping for twelve hours. I couldn't get her to perk up and it really scared me. She's better this morning but I'm afraid to keep her on the meds.
I feel like I should wait to see if things get worse before I put her on such an extreme regimen or at the very most cut the pills in half. She's only 11 pounds and she was on two 100 mg of the amoxitab and two halves of a 250 flagyl. I'm not a vet but my gut reaction after seeing Grace's reaction is to wait and see and if she seems to need it put her on half the dose. I'd really appreciate any comments, advice, etc.
Thanks, Ann and Grace