• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

exciting exciting newsssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jen114

:D

( just so you remember kayla is my baby , but mom takes care of her everyday so we actually share her) (we been looking for a puppy for a very long time but nothing)

SOOOOO

Yesterday My husband bumped into a friend and they mentioned that they just picked up a cav pup the other day..... my husband knew my mom was dyig for a bitch tri and they said that they have soooooo there was panic stations ... calling the breeder / calling my dad/ and 1 hour later the Puppy was at home with my mom!!!!!!!!!!

HOW FANTASTIC...... ( oh by the way she saw both mom and dad of baby)

she is gourgous........... more news will come i am sure from my mom
]
she is at vet having her checked out

Wonderful :D a new baby on the list :paw:

I bet your mum is Sssssooooo excited! :jump:

What have they called her? :wggle:

Photos soon? please! :snap:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

I am so happy for your Mom. I know she so much wanted her own cavalier. :w*w: :w**h**:
How wonderful. :mexwav:

Pictures Gillian please

Congrats!!! Your whole family must be so happy and in love. :l*v: I'm happy for you all.

Hi all. My daughter spread the news. Well her name is Abby and she is a tri colour bitch 7 weeks old tomorrow. she is so cute.
The only problem is she is hardly eating anything. the vet said she is a healthy pup and I have an appointment to vaccinate her on June 26th. I have tried feeding her what the breeder said she ate but she wont eat it. she will eat a really tiny bit of dry puppy food. The vet said to buy her puppy milk as she is still very young, which I did and she will only have a tiny bit of that. Its worrying . Any suggestions?? She drinks water well and plays and is very energetic.

boil some skinless boneless chicken and mix it with a little rice and feed it to her warmed up. get some liquid vitamins you can squirt in her mouth.

7 weeks is so young, maybe you could talk to the breeder and let her go back and be with her mom a couple more weeks?

i'm not sure what all the pros and cons are but i've heard that, especially with pure bred dogs, postponing vaccinations may be better for overall health in the long run. If she seems vulnerable now, maybe it would be good for her to wait until she adjusts to the stress of the changes in her home and loss of her mother and siblings, and adapts to the food you give her. and then, when you feel she's strong, look into which vaccinations are absolutely necessary.

Just since i've gotten Zack, I've been learning a lot that i didn't know about vaccinations. Right before i read your post, i read the following article that was posted on the Possible Canine mail list (it's not about vaccinating too early but rather too many times and unnecessarily, but i've read stuff about vaccinating too early, when the puppy's immune system is not yet stable--i think what i read was about rabies in particular):

Are Our Pets Being Over-Vaccinated? by Melissa Burden
June 16, 2006
Jean Dodds, DVM, a world renowned vaccine research scientist, in Santa Monica, CA, told The Press many boosters are unnecessary.
"Why should we be giving pets foreign substances when they do not need them," said Dodds, who has researched the vaccination guidelines for over 30 years. Veterinarians, she said, have been giving annual vaccinations simply because it's assumed they are needed and were recommended by the United States Department of Agriculture.

"There never was any data that suggested vaccines must be given yearly," Dodds said. "Veterinarians assumed there was data but there wasn't." Vaccines like parvovirus and canine distemper are responsible for many diseases of the immune system in dogs, she contends. Anemia, arthritis, epilepsy, thyroid disease, liver failure, diabetes, allergies and other conditions, she believes, are linked to vaccines.

"Approximately five to 10 percent will develop problems," Dodds said. "That increases to 20 percent in pure breeds." Irish Setters, Great Danes, German Shepherds, weimaraners and akitas are at higher risk of developing Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy, a bone disease that causes a 107 degree fever, pain, and the inability to walk as a result of vaccinations, she said.

"But there is really no breed that is not at risk," she said. The only vaccination needed, she asserts, is the rabies vaccine because it is legally required. Dogs' and cats' immune systems mature fully at 6 months old, she explained. If canine distemper, feline distemper and parvovirus vaccines are given after 6 months, a pet has immunity for the rest of its life.

No effect

However, if another vaccine is given a year later, antibodies from the first vaccine neutralize the second vaccine, producing little or no effect.Not only are annual boosters for parvovirus and distemper unnecessary, they subject a pet to potential risks of allergic reactions and immune-mediated hemolytic anemia, a life threatening disease that generally has unknown causes, said Dodds. There is no scientific documentation to back up label claims for annual administration of these vaccines, she said.

Dr. Bob Rogers, DVM, Critter Fixer Pet Hospital, in Texas, agrees.

"Dogs and cats no longer need to be vaccinated against distemper, parvo, and feline leukemia every year," Rogers said. "Once the initial series of puppy or kitten vaccinations and first annual vaccinations are completed, immunity.persists for life. Not only are annual boosters for parvo and distemper unnecessary, they subject the pet to the potential risk of adverse reactions, he added.

Vaccines against Corona virus, Leptospirosis, and Lyme disease for dogs should be avoided, he said.

"The duration of immunity for vaccines for diseases like rabies, distemper, and parvovirus have been shown to be 7 years," Rogers said. "More importantly it has been scientifically proven that, after the initial series, when vaccines are re-administered, the immune status of the patient is not enhanced. Antibodies from the initial vaccine block the subsequent vaccines from having any effect. In cats, the risk of Vaccine Associated Fibrosarcomas can be reduced by avoiding adjuvanted vaccines and unnecessary vaccines like chlamydia for cats."

Dodds and Rogers suggest pet owners ask their veterinarians to perform vaccine antibody titer tests, which test antibodies for distemper and parvovirus annually after the initial series of vaccines.

PS if she drinks water well and is energetic, it doesn't sound like she has a problem. When my daughter got her cavalier, she, Belle, ate very little. She was fed the same as what the breeder fed her, just kibble, maybe Iams, i don't remember now.

They got her when she was about two months old i think, maybe a little more. They brought her over to my place for a visit when she was about 3 1/2 months old and i was alarmed at how thin she was, this was the first cavalier i ever met. They said she doesn't eat much, but then we heard her in the other room wolfing down the cat's food.

At that time, i didn't know anything about these things, so at the time, i didnt' realize it was because the cat's food is higher protein and more tasty to dogs than dog food is (unfortunately, since it's not healthy for dogs to eat). I bought the cat food at the health store so they got some dog kibble from the pet store, and they said she ate it better than the other food.

I was so concerned about how thin she was, i urged them to take her to the vet. They did and the vet said she was fine, cavaliers are just normally slender dogs. she was energetic and happy so i guess that's the important thing.

Thanks a lot for all the advice. My baby also has a urine infection but already seems to be clearing up. The vet ordered Septrin. She had a little blood in her urine. Seems to have gone since yesterday. I was told to give her the Septrin for five days. She ate a little more this morning I mushed up the original food , the breeder gave me, Science Plan, with puppy milk and she tucked in at least. Although only a little. She weighs 3 1/2 lbs but is quite a chubby chunky little thing and so so energetic
I know , I know, that she was too young to take from her mother but if I didnt take her they were going to sell her to someone else. So I felt that she was meant for me. I found her so unexpectedly and exactly what I was looking for , A tri coloured bitch..
Since she is so young any advice would be welcome. Please dont tell me off. Cavaliers are so hard to come by in Malta.
Thanks ,
Gillian

it sure does sound like she was meant for you. :) about sending her back to her mama, i was just thinking now that you've bought her and she's yours, maybe the breeder would let her come back for bit. but it sounds like she is already adapting and there's no turning back. she sounds so delightful!

what is puppys milk?

It is milk specially made for puppies. Powder form like formula for babies.
Of course I wouldnt give it to her for long as it is supposed to be for puppies who still need mothers milk
She is just sooo adorable and beautiful. As soon as I can I will put pictures up

I forgot to add that they didnt want to keep her and kept saying that the mothers milk had dried up.

HI Gillian and congratulations on your new baby.

I know it must be very difficult for you there, Cavaliers are few and far between. We are all looking at it from an ideal point of view, which would be that the pup was with Mom until at least 8 weeks, and esp. as she is a bit poorly - that was probably why she was off her food.

Please don't think we are telling you off, we just want the best for you and wee Abby.

You did the right thing gettting her to your vet, and hopefully now that is being sorted she will eat a bit better.

She should have been weaned by now anyway, Mom's milk should have been drying up for a few weeks and the breeder should have been giving her first soaked food and then dry kibble by now.

It won't hurt her to have puppy milk for a while, and as long as she's drinking and running around and obviously happy, then she sounds fine and she will probably start to eat better in a few days anyway.

Looking forward to the photos!!

Thanks for all the advice and good wishes. It is really appreciated. I am so happy as Abby ate all her meals , three. and also has already started weeing on the paper. I live in an apartment.She is soooo sweet.

:w**h**: :w**h**: :w**h**: :w**h**: :w**h**: :w**h**: Nothing more exciting than when they actually wee on the paper :lol:

So glad she's feeling better, nothing more worrying thatn a poorly baby :flwr:

gillian, awesome news! you are obviously doing a wonderful job of making her feel at home and happy and secure with lots of mother's love and she is thriving. i'm so happy that you came into each others' lives.

last night i saw this auction on ebay, i almost bought it but used self control as i've been spending a bit too much recently and paid bills yesterday. icon_whistling
http://cgi.ebay.com/SHIRT-Property-...NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ShippingPayment
:lol:

Back