• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

If anyone has any problems with the board

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Let me know. I am trying a new technique to block the spammers as I am averaging 2-3 spam registrations a DAY now.

The technique doesn;t seem to have affected the way the board operates but just in case, let me know.

I've checked creating new registrations and that works too so we'll see how the method works. Spam has become a serious admin problem now -- so annoying.

i haven't had any problems that i'm aware of.

thanks for your hard work, this site has been such a spam free and ad free environment. so pure.

:lol: Only because I have to handpick them out each day!! It used to be only a couple a month, now it is a couple a day; very annoting though it is satisfying and therapeutic when you hit the 'delete user' button.

If people wonder why they have to wait for me to activate their account, that is to keep spammers from being able to make posts. If a username and email sounds suspicious, I will wait to activate and try to check out the name etc. Obviously if it is clear they are a spammer -- eg their registration email bounces back from a fake address, or they stick a website URL up on their profile that is a junk site -- I can delete them, right away.

So far I have only OKed one subscriber who turned out to be a spammer and posted shortly after; thankfully an eagle-eyed board member spotted the post and PMd me and I deleted the account. I also forgot to lock down one part of the board and some other spammers posted there too. But overall it has been pretty watertight.

I am told by security people that now some of the spammers hire people in developing countries at low wages to hand-register to get around the visual confirmation on sites, etc so it is getting harder to notice the spammers sometimes as they will register with a normal name that looks real (eg John Smith) rather than hfjhdskf :roll: .

The new changes are internally to the code to make it harder for spambots to do registrations and also new registrations don't appear at the bottom under the newest member until I activate their account -- one of the main reasons they register is to get you to click the link on the latest member.

I have another modification that I'll probaby install before too long that should eliminate even more of them, but I'm waiting for it to get official approval from the board software people.

Thanks Karlin for all the hard work you do to keep this board operating smoothly. We all appreciate you!!

Back