• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Getting Kayla to eat

Jen114

Kayla is an extremly picky eater...... extremly picky...... She started to like royal canine but i have just been told that it is the chips of dog food that is wy they like it so much... Apparently it is not the best type of food for them and the best is supposed to be Hills Science plan?????? any opiions on this comment?

well i hope she starts eating well as i hate to see her getting thin...

Busta is/was a picky eater so I know what it is like. The reason the vets recommend Hill's is they get paid for selling it, I am sure the Karlin has put a thread on dog food, and many owners feed Royal Canine, have you tried adding fruit, tuna, sardines, boiled chicken to it to make it different..... our lot are on James Wellbeloved which they are really into it - a few times a week something is added as a treat which they always woof down...

Thanks for answer... in Malta the vet does not sell the food....i just go to a local pet shope which is norammly really really tiny and then they have the food on the shelfs

Eukenuba
Hills
Royal
Iams
Nutro
Pedigree

Royal Canin is an excellent food and a better quality food than Hills (higher quality protein sources and without the additives). Of that list Nutro is probably the only other food I would feed.

Dogs tend to become picky eaters if they are allowed to be picky eaters, though there are obviously some exceptions! There aree several threads here on how to deal with picky eaters, the main rule being: don't indulge them. Pick a food, set the bowl down, give them 15 minutes, then pick up the bowl, no comments, no fuss, and put it away til the next *scheduled* feeding. Do not feed treats at all, do not try to bribe the dog to eat, do not test to see if maybe later on it will eat a bit more. At the next scheduled feeding, repeat the process.

Many dogs use the 'picky food' approach to get lots of extra attention from owners and to see what else will keep emerging from the kitchen. It has nothing at all to do with whether they like a given food or not; it is just more interesting to see what else comes up. It's a kind of game and not eating to them is worth the extra involvement with you. Or it can be a sign of boredom too -- it's a game that passes time. Try feeding the dog's entire dry meal in a treat ball so they have to work to get the food -- works their brain and makes mealtime more interesting.

Generally I would never just feed dry food day in and out. You can always add more interesting real food to a dry diet, as per the suggestions above.

Dog foods tend to cause more division and partisanship amongst people than world politics BTW 8) . Lots more on feeding here:

http://roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

We feed Royal Canin, I believe it's on the Whole Dog Journal's list of good quality foods. I don't believe you will find Science Diet on their list.

feeding

My Sasha didn't eat much as a puppy either. I switched a couple different times - now that I have one girl at 17 lbs. and one girl at 28 lbs. it's hard to find a balance!! I currently feed Nat. Balance Reduced Calorie.

I feed both two small meals/day. Sasha needs her food soften (with water) as she has throat problems. Her eating habits changed greatl when we got another dog - the ole' "hurry up before somebody else gets it" saga. Now, my overweight Sophie "patiently waits" for Sasha to finish - just in case something might fall out of Sasha's bowl :roll:

Our little Lhasa ate Nutro for many years, then developed stomach problems/vomiting, so we have switched him to Nat. Balance as well. And boy is he finicky!! (he'd rather have cooked beef every night)

I have for the first time been supplementing with fruits/veggies, altho' Sasha and our little Lhasa don't like any veggies - but then neither does my daughter! So poor Sophie and I have to eat all the veggies in the house! During these hot days of summer, they each get a weekly dollap of ice cream too - esp. when we go to Sonic Drive-In's and they get to go along!!

Sheri
Nebraska

Back