• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Miss Lily (Lara)

All rit Lilly, u can do it...Go all the way...King could use a nice relaxing spa day, but sadly Ireland is so far away 4 us... :lol: so i'll make a lil spa day hear 4 King on Monday...first a hike in the fresh air to clean the inside of the body and soul...then a bath to clean the dirt on the outside from the hike :lol:

I'll likely rehome her, but no decisions made yet. 8) She is doing so well; she is 100% more lively with even a bit of weight off, and playing with toys now sometimes. She LOVES to be groomed... :lol: I was away in the Uk for two days and am told she was so good, slept in a large crate all night with no complaints.

Oh bless her. If you don't want her then come and 'dump' her on my doorstep, ring the bell and run away - hubby would most certainly bring her in saying 'look what I've found' - just the way he used to do with all the stray cats we ended up with :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've used up all my emotional blackmail points with him when I got Charlie. Now I need to pretend I don't want another dog and let him convince me that I do :lol: :lol: :lol:

Incidentally, considering that it's me who does everything for Charlie, guess who he loves the most and waits by the door for????? :roll:

Lily

Hi Karlin,
How's herself? Sounds like she's doing great.
Just wondering how's her snoring?!!
Brid

Maxxs_Mummy said:
karlin said:
Oh my word, poor darling :( She sounds like she was in the same state as Holly was when we brought her home for the first time.

By the time she left us to go to her new home she looked and behaved like a different dog. We couldn't believe how much white she actually had on her :yikes

So rewarding though, Karlin :lotsaluv:

what a wonderful feeling that must be, to watch the transformation that love and kindness can bring, to make such a difference for ones so deserving.

Judy,

It's the best feeling in the world :D . You should have seen how nervous Charlie was when I first brought him home in November. This morning he woke me up by biting my nose & walloping my face :yikes - nothing stops my boy when he wants his breakfast :lol:

If hubby would let me I'd fill my home with foster Cavaliers, the teansformation in them is something else when they are shown what love, kindness and discipline (all be it gentle) is :lotsaluv: xxxxx

Brid, she's doing really well and the snoring has decreased somewhat, which gives me hope! :slp:

I had them all out at the beach last night as it was such a beautiful evening. She ran nonstop, which was a first. All three of them love to run and run along the sand and shore, and Lily likes to terrorise the strands of seaweed by shaking them hard then shredding them into pieces and throwing them in the air. :lol: She used to bark every time we met other dogs on walks, but this has decreased enormously in the past week or so -- I think she just has more confidence. They also had to stop and smell every jellyfish -- there are a lot of them stranded on Dollymount at the moment.

For a real scare story about how seriously being overweight can affect our dogs, I was on the phone last night to a friend who's westie is now so fat that his hind legs cannot support him properly, he is having problems lifting his leg to wee, and xrays show his spine is moving out of alignment and that his legs can no longer adequately support the weight of his body. Because the dog is so fat he couldn't exercise, and because he doesn't exercise he was getting even fatter. I hasten to add my friend didn't get him in this condition but a relative who has minded him, did.

The vet said basically the dog would be dead within a year at this rate (he's only 5 or 6). He said even if he loses weight he may still need spinal surgery which isn't generally very successful, but is hopeful that as the dog is relatively young, he will recover himself simply by taking off the weight and exercising to get some strength back in the supporting muscles around the bones.

In four weeks on a strict diet with daily half hour walks, he has lost a little over a kilo (about 2.5 lbs). He has gone from being dragged along by another westie on walks to keeping pace and now playing with the two other dogs in the house. This of course is also helping him to exercise and shed weight.

I have seen many a cavalier as fat or nearly as fat as this dog. It is a real eye opener as to the effects of about two years of gradually gaining weight, going from heavy to gross obesity in this particular dog. My friend is so shocked, especially by those x-rays. For cavaliers, there's the extra demands weight makes on the mitral valve in the heart, hastening MVD -- so we have extra reasons to keep them slim!!

Anyway it reconfirmed me in efforts to get that weight off of Lily. :shock:

You go Karlin :rah: Lily will only thank you for it :D

As you probably know I have a weight issue with Maxx. I wouldn't have if well meaning people who live here (points at daddy) stopped feeding him with cr@p :(

We have had so many rows about this that I have even threatened divorce.

Maxx has 30g of JWB light twice a day & the odd bit of chicken or tiny bit of cheese with his tablets & we (me and James the Vet) couldn't understand why he wasn't losing weight and was some weeks, gaining it :yikes

Eventually, I found DH feeding him on whole big bonios and slices of buttered toast :yikes I flipped and went crazy telling him that he was killing my dog! Now we have come to a compromise, he is allowed to give him a piece of carrot when he gets up in the morning and also when he comes in from work - anything else is down to me and heaven help him if I find he's been feeding him again :swear:

I can truly hear you about the "buttered toast". That is definitely my Sophie's favorite tidbit.

I am trying very hard to stick to the diet that I have started for Sophie. Esp. after reading Karlin's newest post about the Westie. I know it's in her best interest - too bad my Sophie doesn't exactly get that! She does however, seem to like the bananas/apples & fr. green beans/pumpkin I'm filling her dish with (and cutting back her dog food).

I will take her in for a weigh in about a week. It's been so hot/humid here (even first thing in the morning) we can hardly take a walk these days. Ugh!!

Sheri

Same here Sheri :( I hate the heat with a vengeance :yuk: . Yesterday we reached 32 degrees where I live 8) :yikes My two are getting their walks late at night when everyone else is sleeping :lol:

Back