• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Considerations for puppies in obedience training?

RockNRollCav

We're planning to start taking our puppy to obedience training a week or two after we get him (he'll be 17-18 weeks then). Is there anything we need to know before we do this? We know it's a really reputable place, and our friend has her 3-4 month old puppy in it - but her puppy is a golden retriever! A lot different from a Cav!

Thanks!

If you're already enrolled, youll have learned the types of shots the dogs are required to have before enrolling. Different classes will have different requirements, so it is important to find out what you need to do.

Other than that, dont worry too much about the size. You'll want your dog on a leash and halter; all the other dogs will be on leash, too. It's good to let your dog socialize with other dogs of all breeds and sizes. When they are puppies, they all generally get along pretty well.

As far as the training goes, you'll want to have a treat of some type. I found that Cherrios worked well when Cedar was a puppy starting out. She was so small I had to break them into quarters!! You probably wont have to do that. ;)

Final piece of advice: Have fun!! Dont stress anything. Dogs will learn at different rates, and training takes time and consistency. So you might as well have fun while you're doing it!

I would make sure the trainer uses ONLY positive reinforcement methods, and I would also make sure that the training method encourages operant behavior in the pups. This is called 'shaping' and is used in clicker training.

Your dog will be more mentally and physically active and eager to learn if your pup is trained using this type of method, and will be easier to train in the long run!

The older more traditional training methods can cause a dog to be too passive and also cause learned helplessness in the pup.

Good luck and make the training fun for your little puppy! Well trained is well loved!! :l*v: :d*g:

Cathy Moon said:
I would make sure the trainer uses ONLY positive reinforcement methods, and I would also make sure that the training method encourages operant behavior in the pups. This is called 'shaping' and is used in clicker training.

That's exactly the training that we're putting him (and our older dog) into! www.allaboutdogsinc.com is their website. We've visited, and they seem great! We can't wait to have both of our dogs in classes with them!

That looks like a good place. Just remember if you're not comfortable with something in the training, don't be afraid to question them about it. A friend had her little dog in a class with mostly large breeds and felt something they were teaching was not appropriate for her tiny pup. They agreed, and she and the other owner of a small dog learned it a different way (wish I could remember what "it" was).

I love that issue of Washingtonian. :D We're pretty much neighbors. I'm in N.Bethesda/Rockville.

Congrats on your new pup.

Back