• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rory's recheck neuro exam! :)

rory

On Tuesday, Rory had a neuro exam recheck. It's been almost 7 months since his decompression surgery for Syringomyelia. He's been doing reallly well, but I was still worried about how his recheck would go.

It went great!!! :D Before the surgery, he had started showing neurological deficits in his back legs which we could test by putting his paw upside down (top on the ground) and waiting for him to sense the incorrect positionn and flip it. He had delayed reaction in his back legs before the surgery. On Tuesday, he only had "equivocal" (meaning, the neurologist couldn't even get the same repeatable reaction every time) delay on his back right leg!!! meaning -- he is either no worse, or better than he was before!! :D I am just sooooo happy. He is ALMOST neurologically normal!!

Of course, there's still the chance of relapse, but I am just so happy that he is doing so well right now. :) He is on gabapentin (neurontin) and furosemide (lasix), both of which really really help. A couplee neurologist said they tend to see the dogs rellapse around 6 -8 months, so I'm still on guard for the next few months, especially. But I am very very glad that I went through with the surgery and that I did it early on right when I first noticed the neurological deficits, and before he got too bad. :)

Also - this same neurologist heard a "maybe 1/6 murmur" before the surgery and tuesday he couldn't hear anything! :D Yippee!!

Thanks again to everyone here who has been there for me during thsi whole thing. There were a few months that were really really tough and I couldn't have done it without the support and prayers of everyone here. So, thank you all. It means soooo much. :)

:jump: :jump:

This is just such fantastic news and both he and you are so deserving of such good tidings -- you've had so many uncertain moments too since the surgery, waiting to see if he would stabilise and improve, and being afraid he had gotten worse... what a welcome report this is!

Great news Kendall!!! You must be so relieved. We'll have to keep those prayers going that it continues. Way to go Rory!! :D
Julie and the girls

Yay for Rory! You give such hope to other little pups afflicted with this horrible disease and to their owners.

thanks, all!! I'm just so happy that he has maintained so well and I just hope he can continue to do this well for a while so I can enjoy his joyful company for years to come! it's so much more than I ever would have hoped for 8 months ago... :)

Oh that's just fantastic news Kendall - have been thinking about you both and wondering how it was going.

It's lovely to hear of a surgery which appears to have been successful...I'm hearing of many that have not been sadly.

Wishing you many many happy healthy years together.

Awesome!!! I'm so, so happy for you and Rory. How encouraging for others dealing with SM!! cl*p

Back