Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hooray for neurontin (gabapentin)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default hooray for neurontin (gabapentin)

For anyone considering using this for an affected cavalier -- I have seen a 100% improvement for Leo with this on his very first dose and wish I'd started him sooner.

From regular hard scratching sessions especially late night/first thing on waking, plus a few sessions through the night, he has gone to minimal scratching sessions and just seems so much more lively. He hasn't scratched at all during the night.

He's on the minimal dose so I'll see how he does. For anyone with an affected cavalier I really strongly suggest looking into using this to relieve pain and discomfort. NSAIDS (eg rimadyl) had done nothing at all for the scratching that I could see.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

It is used often in humans for neuropathic pain and is also being used with difficult behaviors. The only negative thing I have seen so far sometimes in our residents is it can be too sedating but usually a dose adjustment does the trick. Glad it is working so well in canines also.
    Mary-owned by Maya, Scout, Jazz and Sassy
    Annie at the bridge 3/13
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance......

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the comments, Mary. I have a family member too who takes it so I knew that it can be a bit sedating and cause dizziness sometimes (it sure helps to get people feedback on side effects when your dog can't talk to you!). He seems to be doing well on the half capsule rather than the full capsule; he definitely was a bit wiped out on the full capsule! My pharmacist thought it was interesting that I was getting the prescription filled for a dog.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it great that animal medicine and human medicine seem to be more willing to share each others knowledge these days. I remember when my basset Sophie had intractable back pain a few years back...the choices my vet offered me for pain control /comfort care were not very good options in my thoughts. She has since gone to heaven and it seems her back pain was more likely liver cancer but I see now they are even starting to offer hospice type services for end stage canine disease...wonderful!!!!
    Mary-owned by Maya, Scout, Jazz and Sassy
    Annie at the bridge 3/13
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance......

Post Thanks / Like

Yea!!!
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

So glad you've got something to help Leo.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Karlin,

It was the best drug for all of my three. I used it every time and had excellent results.

The maximum dose that I used was 600mg in 24hrs for the very difficult times.

I know in the U.S they can get a syrup formula but I couldn't find it in the U.K. I looked for it when I needed it for a small puppy but in the end, under my vets advice, I had to split a 100mg capsule into empty shells and do my own to make smaller 50mg capsules.

All the very best with Leo, may he remain comfortable with Neurontin.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh that's great news Karlin, really pleased it's helping him.

TedBear was very sedated just on 200mg per day until I started the homoeopathic remedy alongside it - he's been fine since. He's now up to 300mg divided into 3 doses, which seems to keep him comfortable most of the time.

Really hope this will help Leo and keep him comfortable and scratch free for years to come.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad they are working fine...and he is doing better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Karlin, when I was at the vets yesterday we were talking about drugs - actually my vet mentioned that he'd been talking to the local pharmacist about a similar drug to Gabapentin {but couldn't remember the name}...I said I know the one you mean, it's Lyrica!!

This has a similar effect at lower dosages and has been helpful for some dogs for whom Gabapentin was no longer working.

I was really thrilled that my vet had obviously been thinking about it, as he only has 3 affected dogs, 2 of them mine {there aren't that many Cavaliers locally}

My vets are interested in learning about it, and recently moved my awareness poster from the noticeboard...to the front of the reception desk where it is more obvious! They have the poster for Sandy's book up next to it!! and the copy I donated on the reception desk, and say quite a few people pick it up and look at it, so we are getitng the message across.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org