Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hooray for neurontin (gabapentin)

Post Thanks / Like

How interesting - my daughter had to take Neurontin for several years for her seizures until she had major brain surgery.

I'm glad it's working in other areas too -

Sheri
    Nebraska

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's it, Lyrica. It is related to gabapentin but a slightly different combination of things according to my dad.

That is interesting that someone has been using it for dogs already.

Alison, interesting too that you were splitting capsules. It is a pain, isn't it? I have been just rolling the powder into a bit of chicken paste and feeding that. Can you just get empty capsules from the chemist? And how did you get the powder into the capsules?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting. My father has just started taking this medication. He is in a home hospice situation. We have found it to be very sedating. However he is also taking other meds which are also sedating, so we are trying to find the best dosing of his meds for maximun relief with minimum side effects. It is good to know that there are meds which can give dogs with SM good relief.
    J.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Karlin, I think there is a study going on, might even be Dr Dewey. I think Sandy's Smith's Maggie is included for the Lyrica.

I did read on a certain unmentionable "support" group about it a few were trying it and impressed with the results.

I do remember reading that you could get empty capsules from the chemist...I guess you could make a very small funnel with a strip of paper, but Alison will probably reply later anyway.

Sheri, glad to hear it helped your daughter, but so sorry she had to have the surgery - hope shes' ok now?

Jay, sorry too to hear about your Father. I hope they manage to balance his medication.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/now-foods/caps-and-capping-kits/vcaps-empty-(size-00)/vcaps-empty-(size-00).cfm

I have no idea if this is the right thing, will keep searching.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

If you want/need to split caps then really you should be weighing out the contents on an accurate weighing scale to make sure that the doses are equal.

Some capsules are designed not to release the medication until they are actually in the stomach. I think I'd be inclined to get the prescription from the Vets and take it to the chemists to get it filled on a private prescription. That way you can get the capsules made up for you as a 'special' - this usually takes up to seven days. I would have thought that if you have insurance then you can still claim as the pharmacy will give you a receipt for the prescription and has to keep a record of it in the Private Prescription book by law and also keeps hold of the prescription itself for about 12 mths. You could always photocopy the prescription and attach the receipt to it to send to the insurance anyway.

However, if you really want to do it yourself, as I said above, an accurate scale is essential & not many will measure mcg or mg . Break open the capsule and gradually tip the required amount onto a small piece of paper on the scale (greaseproof is best but make sure you weigh it first!), then pick up the paper and pour into the thinner half of the capsule then snap both parts together.