• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

hooray for neurontin (gabapentin)

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
For anyone considering using this for an affected cavalier -- I have seen a 100% improvement for Leo with this on his very first dose and wish I'd started him sooner.

From regular hard scratching sessions especially late night/first thing on waking, plus a few sessions through the night, he has gone to minimal scratching sessions and just seems so much more lively. He hasn't scratched at all during the night.

He's on the minimal dose so I'll see how he does. For anyone with an affected cavalier I really strongly suggest looking into using this to relieve pain and discomfort. NSAIDS (eg rimadyl) had done nothing at all for the scratching that I could see.

It is used often in humans for neuropathic pain and is also being used with difficult behaviors. The only negative thing I have seen so far sometimes in our residents is it can be too sedating but usually a dose adjustment does the trick. Glad it is working so well in canines also.

Thanks for the comments, Mary. I have a family member too who takes it so I knew that it can be a bit sedating and cause dizziness sometimes (it sure helps to get people feedback on side effects when your dog can't talk to you!). He seems to be doing well on the half capsule rather than the full capsule; he definitely was a bit wiped out on the full capsule! My pharmacist thought it was interesting that I was getting the prescription filled for a dog. :p

Isn't it great that animal medicine and human medicine seem to be more willing to share each others knowledge these days. I remember when my basset Sophie had intractable back pain a few years back...the choices my vet offered me for pain control /comfort care were not very good options in my thoughts. She has since gone to heaven and it seems her back pain was more likely liver cancer but I see now they are even starting to offer hospice type services for end stage canine disease...wonderful!!!!

Karlin,

It was the best drug for all of my three. I used it every time and had excellent results.

The maximum dose that I used was 600mg in 24hrs for the very difficult times.

I know in the U.S they can get a syrup formula but I couldn't find it in the U.K. I looked for it when I needed it for a small puppy but in the end, under my vets advice, I had to split a 100mg capsule into empty shells and do my own to make smaller 50mg capsules.

All the very best with Leo, may he remain comfortable with Neurontin.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Oh that's great news Karlin, really pleased it's helping him.

TedBear was very sedated just on 200mg per day until I started the homoeopathic remedy alongside it - he's been fine since. He's now up to 300mg divided into 3 doses, which seems to keep him comfortable most of the time.

Really hope this will help Leo and keep him comfortable and scratch free for years to come.

Karlin, when I was at the vets yesterday we were talking about drugs - actually my vet mentioned that he'd been talking to the local pharmacist about a similar drug to Gabapentin {but couldn't remember the name}...I said I know the one you mean, it's Lyrica!!

This has a similar effect at lower dosages and has been helpful for some dogs for whom Gabapentin was no longer working.

I was really thrilled that my vet had obviously been thinking about it, as he only has 3 affected dogs, 2 of them mine :( {there aren't that many Cavaliers locally}

My vets are interested in learning about it, and recently moved my awareness poster from the noticeboard...to the front of the reception desk where it is more obvious! They have the poster for Sandy's book up next to it!! and the copy I donated on the reception desk, and say quite a few people pick it up and look at it, so we are getitng the message across.

How interesting - my daughter had to take Neurontin for several years for her seizures until she had major brain surgery.

I'm glad it's working in other areas too -

Sheri
Nebraska

That's it, Lyrica. It is related to gabapentin but a slightly different combination of things according to my dad.

That is interesting that someone has been using it for dogs already.

Alison, interesting too that you were splitting capsules. It is a pain, isn't it? I have been just rolling the powder into a bit of chicken paste and feeding that. Can you just get empty capsules from the chemist? And how did you get the powder into the capsules?

Very interesting. My father has just started taking this medication. He is in a home hospice situation. We have found it to be very sedating. However he is also taking other meds which are also sedating, so we are trying to find the best dosing of his meds for maximun relief with minimum side effects. It is good to know that there are meds which can give dogs with SM good relief.
J.

Karlin, I think there is a study going on, might even be Dr Dewey. I think Sandy's Smith's Maggie is included for the Lyrica.

I did read on a certain unmentionable "support" group about it icon_whistling a few were trying it and impressed with the results.

I do remember reading that you could get empty capsules from the chemist...I guess you could make a very small funnel with a strip of paper, but Alison will probably reply later anyway.

Sheri, glad to hear it helped your daughter, but so sorry she had to have the surgery - hope shes' ok now?

Jay, sorry too to hear about your Father. I hope they manage to balance his medication.

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/now-foods/caps-and-capping-kits/vcaps-empty-(size-00)/vcaps-empty-(size-00).cfm

I have no idea if this is the right thing, will keep searching.

If you want/need to split caps then really you should be weighing out the contents on an accurate weighing scale to make sure that the doses are equal.

Some capsules are designed not to release the medication until they are actually in the stomach. I think I'd be inclined to get the prescription from the Vets and take it to the chemists to get it filled on a private prescription. That way you can get the capsules made up for you as a 'special' - this usually takes up to seven days. I would have thought that if you have insurance then you can still claim as the pharmacy will give you a receipt for the prescription and has to keep a record of it in the Private Prescription book by law and also keeps hold of the prescription itself for about 12 mths. You could always photocopy the prescription and attach the receipt to it to send to the insurance anyway.

However, if you really want to do it yourself, as I said above, an accurate scale is essential & not many will measure mcg or mg :( . Break open the capsule and gradually tip the required amount onto a small piece of paper on the scale (greaseproof is best but make sure you weigh it first!), then pick up the paper and pour into the thinner half of the capsule then snap both parts together.

Back