• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Gentle leader no-pull harnesses

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Tara and Lisa have these in stock at Dog Training Ireland so I picked up two.

More info and explanation: http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?ID=75

ezwalk-halter-green275.jpg

While both Jaspar and Leo are generally OK walking on their own, when walked together they tend to pull and can pull very hard when they really want to get somewhere. Adding Lily to the walking mix has made this all more complicated, though she is very polite on the lead and doesn't pull at all.

I was out at Dog Training Ireland today and these Easy-walk Harnesses had just come in so I bought two -- I've seen them used before so had been considering them.

Well -- they are magic. They simply can't pull in these harnesses as all that happens is they turn themselves around. As soon as they start to pull they are turned to one side. All of this is gentle and not painful or pinching or anything like that. Walking the two boys was so easy -- they trotted right alongside when I got them home and took them for a test drive. They didn't even pull as we approached the doorway into a little park they love -- normally they start heaving like sled dogs about 50 feet before we get there. What a great product; highly recommended. They are widely available in the US and Tara and Lisa have them in Ireland.

Oh i like the sound of those and i'm in need of new harnesses too icon_whistling Mine don't pull that much but the first 5 or 10 minutes of a walk can be a bit of a battle of wills :lol:

I love the Gentle Leader---I tell everyone about it!! It's used for curbing behavioral issues as well. Our trainer has Gus using it, and it totally works in calming him and keeping him quiet--he barks more when he doesn't have it on. The strap over the muzzle mimics a mother dog putting her mouth over her pup's muzzle to quiet them. She's suggested keeping him in it every waking hour, for now, and we do, because we've seen the difference w/out it on and it's not fun!

We used the gentle leader body harnesses about 2 years ago, and I remember India and Geordie stopped pulling. I must have misplaced them when we moved, but will try to find them again, as now we have 3 dogs and it is difficult (impossible) for one person to walk all three at once! Thanks for the info :thnx:

The Gentle Leader halter collars are different, just to clarify. According to their brochure, they aren't recommended for short-nosed dogs like cavaliers but would be great on a schnauzer! I think some people do find them helpful with cavaliers though as I know people have used them. These are the harnesses the same crowd also do, just to be clear that they are two different items! :lol:

Tara and Lisa also have the collars, plus Canny collars too. The harnesses are perfect for me, as they resolve the one difficulty I have with walking the whole crew together, the pulling from the boys. Makes it so much easier to manage them all.

My mistake, I should have clarified the style we're using with Gus. I love all their products, though, they all seem to have excellent results.

Chester has a Gentle Leader harness and it works great. He generally doesn't pull but if he sees a person he wants to greet (or a squirrel he wants to eat) he will pull rather hard and this harness helps a great deal.

Karlin,

The store were i work has these and every trainer recommends them over the halter collars now...every1 that purchases one comes back in a week or 2 sayin that it works wonders 4 their dogs....although most that bought the harness had boxers, pits, retreivers, big spaniels, rotties, there were a few little dogs: 2 rat terrie mixes (which i help fit them) and a few other lil but strong dogs.... so i hope they work out 4 ur 2...King rarely ever pulls when walkin so there is no need 4 one 4 him....but im looking into a Puppia Harness for him to make walking comfortable....

Karlin,

This seems excellent and I would be interested in purchasing 2 but when I go onto the link to dogtrainingireland you have in your message I can't see a products page to purchase them?? Am I missing something or do I HAVE to go to a physical store?? If so, can you please let me know and I can contact them to see their opening hours .....

Cheers

Hi

We don't have products online just yet we only have them in the training centre. We like to properly fit the dogs and make sure they are comfortable.

petitchien - We are near Dublin Airport if you want to call to our training centre anytime feel free. There is a map online too.

The store were i work has these and every trainer recommends them over the halter collars now

I would have to agree. These harnesses are wonderful and almost replace the need for head collars in many dogs.

We have imported EVERY colour and size.

Petite €24, Small €26, Medium €28, Large €30 and XLarge €32
Black, Green, Red and Purple

We also have Puppia Harness in Small €22 and Medium €24 in the following colours:
Red, Navy, Black, Yellow, Pink, Turquoise, Green, Pink Flowers, Aqua Stripe and Camouflage.

If you are outside Ireland or can't get to our training centre and need any of the above just send an email to [email protected] with your address. Include size and colour requirement too and we will be happy to post them to you asap. Email is checked frequently daily.

Hope that helps :)

Great thanks for that info ....

Will look at map and see opening times so I can bring my two and get them fitted out....

Thank you so much for introducing me to the Easy Walk harness!! :thnx:
For 3 long months i have been trying to walk Riley without him pulling me. I thought i had tried everything and we weren't having much success. I swear Riley thinks he's a sled dog! Then i read the post about this harness and all the responses and thought i should try it. Well, it worked from the moment i put it on him. For the first time he didn't try to pull at all, I was thrilled! :jump: Today i was actually able to take Riley on a real walk. It was great, the neighbors commented on how lovely my little dog was and it felt so good to just walk freely with my little buddy right beside me. I was so proud and i could see what a lovely little dog he really is with his head up off the ground and tail up and waving, just trotting along. I loved it, i was so proud! :lotsaluv: :dgwlk:
I cannot thank you enough for this, now i can finally enjoy walks with Riley and take him into all the dog friendly stores and parks and downtown locales that i have been longing to do. Finally we can enjoy going everywhere together. You have no idea how much this has helped me and given Riley a freedom he has not had up til now. Thanks a million Karlin! :mexwav:

Hey that's great! They work really well -- they simply change the point of resistence so that dogs cannot pull. If they pull, they turn themselves completely around because they are being led from the front of the chest. Nothing pinches or hurts them for doing this; there's just no result if they try to forge ahead and they can't pull against you without suddenly not being able to go in the direction they want to go.

It's the same idea of leading a horse on a halter. There's no reason you couldn;t put a collar around the neck of a horse but it would give them a powerful point of resistence.

In a way it is funny that people decided collars were the 'right' way to walk a dog. A halter type head collar or harness of this sort, designed to give you more control, makes so much more sense. I suppose it is mostly the inconvenience of putting something else on a dog when it is already in a collar.

Hi, was looking on the net and ended up ordering them there for handiness ...... good to know there's a place in dublin for them though ... will recommend to friends (all getting doggies at the mo! ) Think it's less responsibility than kids!!! Hope to see them on your website too soon ... ;)

Oh my God ....... these harnesses are amazing .......
I could never bring Charlie and Gizmo together for a walk by myself before but this is a miracle..... they walk together by my side very contentedly now .....

Thank you so much for recommending them ....

These are really good too -- same idea, think these were the original design:

http://www.softouchconcepts.com/

I am going to try one out as well. I think they may work even a bit better for cavaliers as the lead won;t swing loose quite as much as with with easywalk harnesses becayse the ring where you clip the lead lies flat on the chest.

I'll let you know!!

These can be better because this company invented the front connection harness. BUT we have found the premier harness to fit some dogs better. So it's best to get fitted really.

We have both in stock :)

Back