Thread: Stillborn

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stillborn

Hi all. I need some advice, and cheering up! You may recall I was waiting for my puppy to be born and was given the choice of 3 litters. The first litter was born recently but all were stillborn. What's strange is that the previous litter the breeder had were born ok but all died in the end. This is a really good breeder but I'm getting worried. She must be worried too as she asked the vet to take one of the pups for an autopsy as they looked perfect. She told me not to get my hopes up for the next litter due on Thursday just in case. Failing that, she has a litter due in August. What do you think? Does this happen often?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any answers, but I just wanted to send you a little support. You never know what will come of Thursday's litter...it may be all good news.

It's just so sad, and, at least to me, rather perplexing. Hopefully the breeder will get some answers.
    ....Sally
    Mom to Pixie - DOB 5/27/04
    And rescue kitties Max and Sophie

Post Thanks / Like

That's too bad. Hopefully she will find out why this is happening. I have a breeder friend who is very diligent about her breeding...her last litter had 2 stillborns. Perfectly formed and couldn't see what was wrong. In the future she will have this mama c-sectioned.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about that. It's so sad when that happens, but it does happen once in a while. Almost every breeder I know who has been around for a while has had that happen. Keeping my fingers crossed for the next litter.

We just had that happen with our ruby girl Isis; I posted about it in the "5 Months in the Life of a Breeder" under the post "Sometimes we have bad luck". Isis lost her 2 puppies. We don't really know for sure what went wrong. The reproductive vet thought that maybe the progesterone level dropped during the pregnancy, so with her next pregnancy we will be monitoring that. My wife also has talked to a number of breeders who have some other ideas we are going to check out. And sometimes bad things happen for reasons known only to God.
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sally, Cathy and Bruce. You made me feel a bit better. If I'm being honest, I worry more than most about everything. I worry that maybe it was a virus that caused the stillborns and the mum due on Thursday could have caught it too or the fact that all the pregnant girls were mated with the same dog, maybe the problem is genetic. I have no idea, I'm just letting myself worry like mad. I'm really longing for this puppy! I decided to call her "Poppy" but I'm open to suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

polly
    it seems natural and understandable to worry under these circumstances. even though it 's probably an unexplained act of nature that happens now and then, the breeder is worried too, and it's just a natural way to feel at this point. she's doing all she can by getting an autopsy. try to keep in mind all the healthy puppies she has bred and keep fingers crossed.
    judy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm sure the breeder is pursuing all these angles. I'd guess she would probably also be talking to the owner of the stud, especially if the first litter where all the pups eventually dies were from the same father. It is likely just coincidence. I'm sorry to hear you are going through all this.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your messages Karlin and Judy. I'm feeling a little better. Thanks so much for your support. Pauline x