• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dandruff

blue_star

Does anyone else CKCS suffer from this?? Toby gets it quite a lot on his back. The vet has just suggested giving him Olive oil with his meat.

He doesn't get washed too often (about onces every 6-12 weeks). I do try and give him a brush when his coat is longer but very i'm very gentle. It doesn't seem to itch either.

Blue star

My Vet reccommended a good human dandruff shampoo. I used Selsun Blue. After one shampoo, the flakes were mostly gone. Brushing removed the rest and nothing has reappeared.

My black & tan girl has dandruff on her back; I don't notice very much until I brush her. The vet checked her and said she's ok. He put her on 3V Caps skin formula - they are oil capsules with Omega-3 plus vitamins A, D, & E. There is less dandruff now than when we started her on these last January. Her coat is shinier, too.

I'm thinking about trying the dandruff shampoo just once to see if it will completely get rid of the dandruff!

Thats for the suggestions. Next time Toby goes to the hairdressers i will sent him with a bottle of antidandruff shampoo and see if it helps.

Also on my first message i said that i fed on Toby olive oil, my mind must be going as its actually Cod Liver oil!!

blue star

How much cod liver oil do you put on Toby's food? The 3V Caps are a little expensive, and I'm thinking of switching to cod liver oil when I run out of 3V.

BTW, Toby looks like a sweet cuddly boy! :flwr:

My mother's lab had this issue as a pup. We bathed her less frequently and gave her Vitamin D capsules. She's now 11 years old and dandruff free!

I'm not too sure about this, but the pH balance of human shampoo is different than is needed for dogs. If you use a human dandruff shampoo frequently, it could cause other issues.

I wouldnt be surprised at all to discover that there's doggie dandruff shampoo out there. Anyone know?

Cathy Moon Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:40 am Post subject:

How much cod liver oil do you put on Toby's food? The 3V Caps are a little expensive, and I'm thinking of switching to cod liver oil when I run out of 3V.

BTW, Toby looks like a sweet cuddly boy!
Hi thanks for the compliment about Toby.
I usually just pour a 'glug' in. Probably around a tablespoon. But it stinks. bust i must stay the bowl stays very clean and shiny with it

I might try and speak to the lady who baths him and see if she has anything else she can use as Taffy is going the same way now. As i wouldn't want to make it worse if i did use human shampoo.

When I brought Darby home 4 weeks ago he had white flakes all over his back the Vet said it was caused from the food he was eating.

I switched his food and she also advised to add 1/8 of a tsp of fish oil to his food daily as long as it did not give him the runs.

But absolutely no human shampoo, I use Pet Silk and I also give him
fish once a week he no longer has any white flakes. :D :D :D :D :D

I'm unable to change Tobys food as he is on something called R/D by Hills (I think, I will check later). Its for doggies who need to lose a few extra inches and for those who find it difficult to keep their weight down. It has been prescribed by the vet who is the only person round here we can get it off.

I'm still giving him the cod liver oil, I don't really want to increase the dose in case he gets the runs

blue_star said:
It has been prescribed by the vet who is the only person round here we can get it off.

Hmmmm.....

Did the vet offer any other alternative foods for weight loss? If not, I'd look into it. The vet might not mention other--perhaps even better--foods simply because of the profit s/he is making from selling the Hills food. Not saying that is the case, but it has been known to happen!

There are other threads on the board on food selection and on weight loss. They might be helpful.

Back