• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Paper training???????

G

Gillian

I know that it is said that if you paper train then there is more trouble to get them to go outside. but at the moment I DONT THINK I have a choice as I live in a 6th floor apartment and little Abby hasnt finished her vacinations yet , which means I cant take her outside for another four weeks because of Parvo virus.

I am having a very hard time training her. She just doesnt seem to get it. I tried the oh oh grabbing her and putting her on the paper. I have also tried putting her on the paper every 15 min. She just runs off , of course I catch her and put her back but it is a constant hastle. In regards to poo she just wont do it at all on the paper. If I catch her in the act she stops doing. Any advice anyone. Abby is 8 weeks old.
I also have a balcony, which is safe. Maybe I should put the papers outside???

We paper trained maxwell by spraying Phermone ( Sp? ) spray on the papers and then carrying that to outside once it got warm enough,( We get 30 below in the winter and I didnt want pup outside in that cold of weather)

There is a stake ( I think its called the pee post? ) that you put in your lawn that has scent already on it and it carried over from the paper smell that he was already used to~ Just a suggestion as I havnt read the book that was suggested~

King is Wee-wee pad trained, but only because dogs are not allowed in my apartment (but we're sneeky non the less) but if we're not home he knows to hold it and go outside...Gillian try using a house-breaking pad of some sort...i kno it will teach her to go inside but use it only if u can' get her outside its good to have...plus i kno a lot of ppl who use them when there is bad weather and can't take their dogs outside...so there is a plus to having her paper-trained. the only down side to having King pad-trained is sometimes he thinks he's goin on the pad but he's actually 1/2 on and 1/2 off leavin :yuk: pee on the floor...but thats wat Nature's Miracle is 4 :lol:

In the Cavalier book I got, they suggested getting a small section of sod (grass) to put in the house, and keep it by the door, and have them go on that, so it's like going outside, it's near the door, then it's only one additional step to get them to go to the door when they want out. I like the Pheramone idea, too...maybe do both? If you can't stick a stake in the grass outside (since it probably isn't yours to "decorate"), then maybe you could just spray the grass right before she goes?

Good luck! It sounds like a tricky situation! :yuk:

Thanks for you advice and replies. i have tried the spray, not the brand you mentioned as we dont have it here. She just sits on the paper and looks at me. then the second I am distracted she wees on the floor. :yikes
We dont have grass outside for her to do on . And for now , the next four weeks, she is not allowed outside because of Parvovirus
I have tried putting her back in the cage but its still doesnt seem to work.
Wish me luck.
Thanks.

dont put her in her crate just cuz she went on the floor that teaches her that the crate is 4 punishment...wat i did wit King when he was lil was everytime i saw him go into "sniffing mode" i brought him to the pads. it only took him bout 3 days to get the hang of it. But from wat I've read/heard/seen u should NEVER put them in their crate if they did soemthing wrong.....i did that once and King was mad :x at me for bout 2 hrs....well cuz i never punished him like that b4

Karlin, does the book How to Housetrain your dog in 7 days, teach you how to paper train?? As I cant take her outside for four more weeks.

Gillian,

How parvo-ridden is your area? Do you have a place where you know the other dogs?

While it is definitely good to limit the puppy from public places if your area has a high parvo exposure rate, but if you have some outdoor area that is restricted from unknown dogs, you would probably be okay. I learned this information from a vet tech (and wife of a vet) who is also a dog trainer.

If your area has a right rate of exposure then being absolute about where the dog goes is important. But otherwise, the dog can at least go outside to relieve itself.

No There is the public street outside our front door. So any dog can pass from there. We have been told by the vet that it would be dangerous to take her out. As parvo virus kills. That was her exact words.

Gillian, I would totally recommend the wee-wee pads (you can get them in most petstores or on internet if there's none near to you)...

We did this for our two and it worked in 2 DAYS!!!! We only finished our pack of 7 as we had them but after about 3/4 pads, they knew what to do ....

They MAY miss a little in the beginning but you really should see the results very quicky ....

Good luck

We used wee pads with paper underneath so it showed around the edges with all our three, we had one in the kitchen by the back door, one on the landing and one in the living room, try placed a bit of her wee on the mat so she can smell it and as she learns to wee on it, give praise and a treat, the more she does it move it closer to the door......

Also there is another product out there that will help with training them to go outside...its the "Pee-post" It basically works like the wee-wee pads but 4 outside..u just post it where u want the dogs to go and bring them to that same spot until they get the hang of it...then u won't need it anymore (but keep it just in case u get another pup)

Thanks for all the tips. I bought the wee wee pads.At first she wouldnt do on them . then she had a couple of good days when she did . Now She wont again. I dont know what is going on.I am just continuing to persist. Hopefully she will get the idea.
Thanks again.What did you do when she wee weed on the floor.???

Gillian

She is so very young yet so it will take lots of patience. You can only correct her if you catch her in the act of pottying off the pads. If you catch while she is doing it simply pick her up and give her a firm "No!" and put her on the pad with "potty here". When she does wee on the pad praise her like the is absolutely the best girl in the world. Cavaliers -some- can be stubborn with potty training and this baby is yet so young. Give her time and have patience. I know it can be frustrating but you are doing a good job. Good luck.

Back