Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: unusual behavior

Post Thanks / Like

[quote="judy"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Moviedust
    after you put the frontline on, how long before, if you pet their fur on the back of their neck, how long before it won't come off on your hand?
    It has to dry, so it depends on the humidity. A few hours, generally. After a few hours, the treatment is waterproof, so the dog can go swimming, have a bath, etc., and he's still protected.

The difference between Frontline and Frontline plus has more to do with the flea life cycle, I think. Frontline Plus also kills flea larva and eggs, whereas Frontline doesnt.

You can check out more information about Frontline products at their website. Just like you would for homeopathic meds, you can research these products and find out all the details before you use them.

Here you go: http://frontline.us.merial.com/home/index.asp

There are is also a lot of information online that isnt from the company. A quick search will give you a lot. You might want to even look for old threads on these discussion boards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I feel for you and Zack. It's good that you have a vet appointment.

I would give him a bath and use a gentle puppy shampoo, rinse his feet extra well, then wipe his eyes with a cotton ball soaked in water or preservative free saline solution (spray can in contact lense section of store.) I'd also vacuum, wash, and rinse the floors. Then wash his bedding in Dreft (for washing baby clothes.) And only feed him a food he has been fine with. Do you use California Natural?

I read somewhere on this website that garlic is bad for dogs, so please check that out. (I was surprised that right after I read that about garlic, there was also a dog biscuit recipe with garlic in it.) I'm sure that I also read in Dog Fancy magazine recently that garlic is bad for dogs!

I too hate pesticides and will not use chemicals on my lawn and garden, nor will I walk my dogs in my neighborhood this time of year when everyone is using fertilizers and pesticides, but I do use Frontline Plus on them because fleas, ticks, mites, lice, and mange are worse!!!

I hope you and Zack feel better soon
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Cathy. While the symptoms COULD be SM, the SM symptoms are hard to diagnose because they are often issues related to other issues (including regular dog behavior!). I'd start with the precautions for an allergy. This time of year, there are allll sorts of things that could have bitten him or that could be in the air.

I hate it when I know something's up with Cedar but I dont know exactly what it is. It is way worse than knowing it is something bad! At least then you know what's going on.

Hopefully, this litle guy will be back to his old self in a day or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rory
    i don't want to freak you out judy, but what you're describing does sound like SM symptoms. Have you checked out Karlin's site on SM? See if it sounds like what you're observing. I know that on top of the scratching at the head/neck, he also chews on his feet rather obsessively occasionally. Whipping around at his back feet like something bit him. It tends to go in spells. He'll be kinda of freaked out on his feet (i describe it as the monsters attacking his feet... )
    If you haven't already, check out this site for more info: http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/
    i did think of SM but i figured it had been going on less than one day. But I am definitely worried, he's not acting right. he was fine, then it started so suddenly.

i visited some SM pages back during the first month i had zack, i really thought he had SM because he was scratching a lot for no apparent reason. at first, i just thought it was a scary possibility, but then one day when he went to scratch, he started shrieking, i've never heard a dog do that while scratching, he continued shrieking after he stopped scratching and ran into the house still shrieking. i got a dull ache inside of knowing he had SM. he only shrieked that one time. but i know the symptoms can wax and wane. but his scratching did abruptly stop after the worming.

whether this is SM or ends up being explained by something else, SM always hangs over the cavalier. as long as he's not having symptoms, i dont' think about it, but if he has any unexplained weird thing, i do think of it.

i gave him about 1 1/2 tsp of benadryl and soon he was snoring. before he crashed out, i sprayed Bitter Yuk on his paws, the two he's been licking and biting. the vet had said 25mg benadryl, but on the bottle it said children under six, consult physician, and over six, they got two tsp which is 25mg. I felt reluctant to give him more that the recommendation for a six year old child. so i gave him a little less than 25mg.

how do you protect rory's paws from too much biting? does it become a problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Moon
    I feel for you and Zack. It's good that you have a vet appointment.

I would give him a bath and use a gentle puppy shampoo, rinse his feet extra well, then wipe his eyes with a cotton ball soaked in water or preservative free saline solution (spray can in contact lense section of store.) I'd also vacuum, wash, and rinse the floors. Then wash his bedding in Dreft (for washing baby clothes.) And only feed him a food he has been fine with. Do you use California Natural?

I read somewhere on this website that garlic is bad for dogs, so please check that out. (I was surprised that right after I read that about garlic, there was also a dog biscuit recipe with garlic in it.) I'm sure that I also read in Dog Fancy magazine recently that garlic is bad for dogs!
    cathy, thanks for the guidance on the bathing. yes, i do have California Natural chicken and rice, among other brands.

no more garlic! thanks for telling me. In Dr Pitcairn's book, i think he recommends garlic. or he lists it as somethnig people try, and he says that research has not shown that it works but that people can try it and see if it works for them with their pet. he doesn't say anything negative.

but now that you mention it, i think i've heard that before too, and that dogs should never have onion.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Zack is feeling better soon Judy

Post Thanks / Like

Oh poor {{{{{{{{Zack}}}}}}}} and poor you too, Judy. I must admit that Zack's symptoms do sound suspiciously like SM to me too. Maxx has SM and he too will suddenly start obsessively biting his paws for no reason.

The one thing to remember is that if he does have SM (and really, to diagnose it properly, he'd need an MRI scan) is that, if he should get anything else wrong with him that causes pain or distress then this could actually trigger an SM 'attack'. I found this out last Friday when Maxx suddenly went from being a happy little boy into one that was extremely distressed and could hardly stand up for scratching and biting

A trip to the Vets and a few doses of medication later he was once more a happy little boy again

It's awful to see our babies in distress, Judy and I know how worrying it is for you. If I were you, I'd pop Zack in to see the Vets anyway & if he keeps getting the scratching and other symptoms then get him referred for an MRI. It's the only way you are going to be 100% certain that he has or hasn't got SM.

Even if he does have SM, it's not the end of the world, it's very upsetting and distressing but it usually can be controlled. There are plenty of us around who have SM dogs to support you too.

Big hugs for you and Zack xxxxx

Post Thanks / Like

aww poor Zack, and poor u Judy..u seem more stress and freaked out then Zack...but it could b seasonal or an allergic reaction to something... i remember when King was a puppy he had a very high fever that when i brought him to the vet he gave give a shot (of something i can't remember) that King had an allergic reaction to and the majority of his hair fell out...so he went from a lil fluffy puppy, to a skinny lil rat thing... (but its noted in his medical file never to give him that kind of shot again) so i could b a number of things...also the only time King will lick his legs/paws is after chewing on a bully stick, chicken filet, or booda bone...i guess the smell is still there so he wants to lick his feet cuz they smell...but its only 4 a few minutes and usually he stops if i tell him to...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by judy
    how do you protect rory's paws from too much biting? does it become a problem?

He doesn't bother them too much. he was just licking them right now and has been doing that on and off the last few days, but generally doesn't bother them much. But he is on medicine for the pain, which certainly helps.
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

the vet appointment got moved up from 6:30pm til 2pm today--i could've waited til tomorrow but zack is suffering. He just lays around. It seems worse each day. he sleeps in the kitchen and this morning he didn't get up when i came in. i took him outside to pee but he just stood there waiting for me to let him go back inside. i think it looks like his back legs might be stiff or weak, maybe i'm imagining things, don't know. he just stays in his crate which he never does, except when he was first recovering from neutering.
    he still licks his paws. it seems like he keeps trying to get comfortable and can't.

what shall i try to accomplish with the vet? if SM is suspected, there'll have to be a neuro consult, but is there something i can aske for as far as medication goes so he won't be suffering? I'm going to print up all the info to take to the vet. Can she give him an injection?

me and zack had plans tomorrow to go to my friend's house and play with him and his two dogs. Is there any way he could be OK by tomorrow? I already told my friend it doesn't look good for tomorrow.
    but people here are saying that a dog can snap out of the pain quickly so i'm wondering.