• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi from GA!

michelle

Hi there... I am new to this site and am so glad to find it and all the great info here. I have a 7 month Cav named Freddy. He is the most adorable friend anyone can have!! I am just a bit worried about him because I have done alot of reading about pet store puppies and that is where I got Freddy. He was so cute and I could not look away! I had to have him! Now I am fearful he will get sick and I will be heart broken. I am always on guard fro starange behavior or any signs of the conditions I have read about. I will keep on readnig and watching him but it sure is not fun worrying all the time. Happy 4th everyone!!

Michelle and Freddy

Hey Michelle. Welcome. I say stop worrying and enjoy that little Freddie. The more knowledge you gain from boards such as this will allow you to know better if and when you purchase another cavalier but sometimes even though you have done your research and purchased from the best breeder you can find you can still end up with a dog with a health issue. The difference being though the breeder will be there to help you through it. Freddy may or may not develop problems..you can't change that but it sounds like you do know now that a pet shop is not the best place to purchase a pup. Seems Freddie was meant to be in your life no matter what :) Love and enjoy that Freddie and please post some pictures so we can see the little guy.

icon_welcome and I agree with what Mary says. There are many reasons not to buy from pet stores or indifferent, backyard breeders. Every dog deserves to be loved and if one of these has found its way to you, then that is what you should do! :) You will know more about the real situation behind pet store puppies for the future and will be able to warn others, too. (y)

Bad health can affect any dog so we all cross our fngers that ours will remain well and enjoy them each day, while doing our best to make sure they stay in good health. :)

trying to post pics

Hey all,

Thanks for your encouragement... I am trying to post pics and put them on this site but this is the URL to Flikr

He is sooo cute... Hope you all have a great Holiday!

Michelle[/img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/87944513@N00/179731194/

OMG Michelle. He is the cutest baby. No wonder you fell in love with him.

My pup, JJ came from a pet store also. He was sick when we brought him home, but , with proper vet care and A LOT of love he is now fine. I don't know how long you have had him, but, according to our vet, most "pet store illnesses" will appear quickly and chances are you are in the clear. If not, just make sure Freddy gets good vet care and I know TLC will not be a problem. You will be fine!! :D

Welcome Michele and Freddy - it seems that you have been bitten by the cav bug...... have a happy time. :D

THANKS EVERYONE!! Yes I have been bitten big time...

When I first got Freddy, he had a little upper respitory infection which cleared right up. I just hope he does not develope the more serious conditions like SM and Mitral Valve issues. I know that I cannot change anything that may or may not happen but I still worry. I will continue to love and enjoy him every day!.

Thanks again

Michelle and Freddy

Glad you figured out the pic-posting so we can see your fellow! Now I just need to refer you here:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1706

It gives an explanation on the maximum size for avatars. You'll want to reduce your avatar pic a bit -- you can see how a larger pic stretches out the whole thread to accommodate it, so there's a max size set for the board which is about half the size of the pic you have posted at the moment (my pic right below your post is at the maximum size so you can see what you are aiming for). If you have any problems resizing, let me know.

Don't beat yourself up about your pup coming from a petstore. Most of the people in this country believe you are suppose to buy dogs from a petstore. Your pup is one of the lucky ones. He got a home where his conditions at the store were taken care of. Some pups don't survive to be adopted and loved. It is the parents of these pups that I really feel sorry for. Most pet stores tell people that the dogs weren't purchased from a mill-- of course not-- they were purchased through a broker (who buys them from mills) Here are some pictures of how the parents are kept-http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.puppymillprotest.org/images/puppymills/animalsrighttolife-004.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.puppymillprotest.org/photos.htm&h=247&w=330&sz=17&hl=en&start=10&tbnid=t3LjJvzoGqmxFM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpuppy%2Bmill%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLD,GGLD:2004-25,GGLD:en%26sa%3DX

I don't know if that link will work. If you google puppymill and go to images - you will see what I mean. Give your pup a hug from me- Sandy

I agree withn what the others have said. Just enjoy your gorgeous baby :flwr: At least with coming on here you are forewarned of illnesses etc that can affect Cavaliers. I'm sure your little angel couldn't have wished for a better Mummy - sadly, not all are so lucky :(

That is the most heartbreaking web site I have ever seen!! What is wrong with people?? Were they born without a heart? Thanks everyone for your kind words.... I will keep my eye on Freddy and hope it all works out well. Please tell me what I can do ojn a personal level to help stop the kind of things I see on that website. I guess I alreay contributed to it by buying from a pet store but I would not trade fred for anything! But he will be the last from the store. Anyway have a good night!

Hey Michelle - you know what? What's done is done! Absolutely enjoy your precious boy to the fullest. The best thing you can do is share your knowledge of why not to buy from a backyard breeder or pet shop. I spread the word whenever possible...and feel I have really made an impact on lots of people. People don't know until you tell them.

Freddy is adorable. Love that little boy up!

Question on Pedigree

I have a question about Freddy's Pedigree. I stated that Fred was bought at a pet store and I know he was brokered by the biggeset broker inthe USA, The HUNTE CORP. I received a pedigree with Freddy when I boughthim. After looking on the internet, I found that his origin is in HUNGRY and his breeder is from Budapest Hungry. I also found a woman in Texas who has a little Cav girl named Brandy with a Freddy's Grandparent in her Pedigree and a little boy Cav named Rohan with one of Fred's Grandparents in his Pedigree. Does anyone think this predigree is made up or should I believe it to be true? I was thinking of contacting them in texas. They are called Kingdom Cavaliers. I still have hope that my Fred does not come from a puppy mill. I will take any info anyone has.

Michelle and Fred

Well, www.kingdomcavaliers.com are on the net and Rohan's pedigree is up there on the site. So is Brandy's. Why not contact them and send them the lineage from Fred's pedigree? I think the only true way of knowing if you do have the correct pedigree for your dog when you buy from a store, a broker or a mill is by DNA testing though.

I haven't a clue about Charlie's lineage as he was a rescue but I have met Maxx's parents on several occasions and it's really weird but just like human children he has characteristics of both of them. He also has an almost identical face to his Dad and a black spot on his tummy in the same shape and place as his Mum LOL

Thanks for the info. I was planning on giving them a call and seeing where it is they have gotten Brandy and Rohan from. I do not know if Freddy's pedigree is made up or accurate but I will call and see if they know anything about it. I was just curious as to if it is common to falsify these papers or not. Thanks!

Back