Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: neutering "problem?"

Post Thanks / Like

He sure is a little cutie. I hope he is better soon.
    Julie and the girls

Post Thanks / Like

What a gorgeous baby. Maxx had a cough after some surgery but it was caused by the intubation - it lasted just over a week and I was told to just get him some simple linctus from the chemist for him (this is just flaovoured glycerin that coats the throat and makes it easier to swallow etc.

If he doesn't get any better then take him back to the Vets. Maxx has got a problem with his tonsils that cause the problem of him coughing whenever he runs around or gets really excited as they swell up. We could have them removed but then there is a major risk of haemmorhaging so we've left them.

Good luck with this little man, I don't know that I could have bought from a petstore but I do understand your sentiments - I don't think I could have left him there either....

Post Thanks / Like

He is lovely, we got Woody home had the first set of injections then he started coughing (hacking), back to the vets and was diagnosed as kennel cough, then Busta got it - they went onto antibiotics (2 lots for Woody and 1 set for Busta) - the vet just said it is like flu or a cold and would right itself - took about 5-7 and was gone..

Post Thanks / Like

Maxxs_Mummy,

Thank you for your comments. I am leaning more towards his intibation being the cause of his coughing. He was vaccinated for kennel cough but it's been so long ago (like 6 weeks?) that I think it's irrelevant to what is going on now. He just coughs a little bit when he gets over excited (like when I go to grab his leash !) It does seem to be getting less frequent with time though. It sure did worry me though! I also think one of his glands are a little bit swollen but it's not bad and it's just one, so I'm going to see how it goes through the next few days. He does have an appointment next wednesday to get his hernia stitches taken out and a follow up exam. Have you ever had any experience with an open wound such as hernia stitches before? Kosmo is being a constant pill because he wants to go on his normal, long walks, but I have been only walking him until he goes wee or #2 because I am scared he'll get some dirt caught up in his tummy. When should I resume the full schedule do you think? Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Arasara,

I wouldn't panic too much about his wound, just keep it clean with some cooled boiled water and he should be OK.

Maxx was neutered at six months due to the fact that he had an undescended testicle which was found attached to the inside of the top of his ribs he also had a hernia repaired at the same time so you can imagine the scar he had, bless him.

Obviously we tried to stop him from jumping up on the furniture in case he hurt himself but he was absolutely fine. We didn't walk him for the first few days as I thought he would be too sore - Maxx had other ideas though and kept bringing us his lead and harness LOL

Honestly, they heal so much quicker than a human would in the same circumstances, it's unbelieveable

Post Thanks / Like

Ozzy had a huge swollen gland - come up twice, looked like he was growing another head - he went on pink antibiotics and it went down - nothing since then.