• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Food and Dodgy Tum

fuzzie bear

Anyone any ideas on a good food to feed cavaliers ?

I have all my 4 on the same food but Bailey just has the most smelliest windy poos that is just awful - even the other dogs run away from him !

I've changed his food twice because of this. Currently he is on Clinivet as it was recommended by a vet, but obviously no good as it still hasn't changed the problem.

Have to do something soon cos i'm sure he's uncomfortable and i'm not sure how much longer I can keep on holding my nose when giving him hugs... lol

Try him on the James Wellbeloved adult sensitive diet (the puppy food is richer and may be causing some disagreement if he's still on puppy food but can;t remember the ages of yours now!). I know this has worked for lots of people.

You could also try homecooked or try him on just rise and boukled chicken for a week then move to the Wellbeloved and see if that works.

Smell and wind could indicate some sort of worm or tummy bug but presume the vet has checked for that? Has he had a stool sample analysed at all? Also any chance that he's getting into something like cat poos and eating them?

Bailey is 2 now....

The vet advised me to change his diet first to eliminate that before checking anything else.

Hes had wormers and flea stuff etc so it can't be that.

You could also try homecooked

Lol... i'm lucky if I cook for myself ;o)

No, hes not getting near any cat poo - and I'd imagine one of the others eating it more so than him ! He has been going for to eat the grass a lot which worries me about him....

Why can't they speak !![/code]

It can take a while for a tum to settle into a new food. I'd try the wellbeloved sensitive diet as it doesn't have a lot of the things that upset tummies in it. Has he always been this way or is it new? I can;t believe he is two!! :shock:

Funnily enough, I can't remember if hes always had it - then again I was working full time for the first 6 months when I got him, so maybe I just didn't notice...

Hes been on Clinivet for about 6/7 weeks now at this stage, so I would have though that would have been long enough for his tum to get used to it ?? All the other dogs got their food changed at the same time and they're all fine...

I know, I can't believe hes two either - that whole year of having him has just flown past !! It was a year ago last month that we adopted him !

I feed my two on JWB sensitive/light and it suits Maxx's dodgy tummy just fine. Cavaliers can get colitis :( especially if they are stressed or upset in any way and this can give them bad wind but usually also gives them a dodgy tummy as well. The JWB has been so good that Maxx has only had colitis once since I put him on it and that was when my friend's boisterous, undisciplined Cavalier came to stay :roll:

Edited to add that you can get some free samples from www.wellbeloved.co.uk :D

I thought it was just Kosmo who occasionally got the "windy poop" for no reason! It's nice to know there are others of us out there. 2 years is a long time to suffer with that problem! I keep telling the vet that the dog hasn't gotten into ANYTHING because I watch him like a hawk and she doesn't believe me. He doesn't have worms, either. And his poo can be fine for a week and then all of a sudden for no reason at all it just turns. I don't get it. The vet recommended eukanuba to me but I think that's just because they help vets pay for their school and stuff. It hasn't rated too high on any quiz I've given it. I am actually looking to switch Kosmo's food as well. That sucks that James Wellbeloved is only available in the UK! I was actually going to see about buying the biggest bag and getting it shipped here to canada :lol: , but they only ship it to the UK! Besides James Wellbeloved, what do you guys recommend? I am thinking of either Nutro Holistic or Royal Canin. Has anybody had experience with either of these? Thanks :)

HIII there.....

My cav is SUCH a fussy eater but i must say i have had her over a year and i have not smelt anything bad from here so it must bee good food...

I feed her a mixture of

Royal Canine
Nutro
Science plan

I just mix them all up together and put a bit of ground chicken for the flavour

I feed Nutro now to both my dogs and find it great. My cav used to have very smelly windys aswell, Nutro was recomended to me and I have no problem since :p

I feed my two Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul. I live in a smaller town in the US and it is harder to find the good stuff like Royal Canine and some of the others. We have tons of Science diet available but I discourage anyone to use that stuff :yikes I haven't had any problems at all with the Chicken Soup formulas, I even start my puppies out on the puppy food and I have had no problems at all with it. It is just a bit pricey but that don't bother me... ;)

We don't appear to have the same range of quality foods here either and I have one with a sensitivity to chicken which is the base of most foods. I have been using Advance Turkey and Rice for sensitive digestion but am in the process of trying Eukanuba Lamb and Rice which has been designed for those with dietary sensitivities so we will see how they go!
Julie and the girls

Ok, I'm going to change him to James Welbelloved to see if that makes any difference.

Good job I own a pet shop... lol

Royal Canin does a natural blend that I think may well be the US version of james Wellbeloved, which is actually owned by Royal Canin, which is in turn owned by one of the big conglomerates now. The natural Royal Canin was on the Whole Dog Journal list of good foods (it doesn;t seem to be now, but this only lists their top 10, which changes around as new ones come out). But there are many good foods in the US.

I highly, highly recommend getting the WDJ -- google it and it will come up -- I get the digital version as I don;t live in the US and really like it and it is generally highly thought of amongst breeders and trainers too.

Laura has their top 10 dry food recommendations at the bottom of this page:

http://www.roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

i feed my Merlin on Bakers Complete (the big boy size) about 150 grams and then just sprinkle a few bits of cooked chicken mince on the top to tempt him - he only gets dodgy belly when he is wormed. If find the bigger pieces clean his teeth plus he ikes to show you what a big boy he is!

Back