• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How much do they weigh!!!!

G

Gillian

Just wondering how much should a 9 week old pup ,Cavalier , weighs. Abby weighs 4 1/2 lbs. Is that a good weight for her age??
Also how much food should she be having. She is really great at eating . I am feeding her Royal Canin , dry only. about 1/2 cup per day as that is 50grms and thats what the packet recommends. She is quite a chub. Is that a good amount. She also eats some banana and apple every day.This is split up in three feeds.

i don't know the answers but it sounds like she's doing great. when zack was around 14 weeks, he was about 9 pounds. like humans, they vary in size. me and zack just visited my daughter and her cav belle this week. Belle is a year old and is 12 pounds. zack is 9 months and is 15 pounds. neither one of them appear overweight for their frames.

i just want to say that i love your avatar photo. i wouldn't mind seeing an enlarged version of it.

I remember having Twinle weighed at 9 weeks in the vets and she weighed 4 pounds, at 11 weeks she was just under 5 pounds so I reckon Abi is a good size. Twinkle has always loved her food and never has been fussy. She's nearly eight months old now and weighs about 13 pounds. However, that's one pound heavier than my one year old!

Sounds like she is doing great as well. When my last litter had their vet exam at 9 weeks they were all in the 4-41/2 lbs range. At six months they were around 12-15 lbs.

Thanks for the replys. Any comments on the amount of food I am feeding??

50 grammes sounds fine to me. However, my vet advised us to feed 4 times a day until 16 weeks old because their tummies are so small.

That sounds fine...although u don't always wanna go by wat the package says cuz that giving u an average amount...every dog is different and depending on age, and activity level they all eat different amounts..My King eats 1 cup a day 1/2cup morning 1/2cup nit and he's fine..I know a couple dogs King weight that eat almost twice that King eats but their more active then he is so they need to eat more...As long as ur pup acts fine isn't lookin 4 more then ur doin a fine job feeding her

Darby is eating 1/4 of a cup of Innova Puppy Kibble mixed with a couple tablespoons of Monica Segals food 3 times a day. On his last check-up at 12 weeks he weighed in at 6 1/2 lbs and the Vet advised for me to continue feeding the way I am.
When I picked him up at 8 weeks he weighed 4 1/2 lbs so in 1 month gained 2 lbs, the Vet was very very pleased.

It sounds kind of a small amount to me; is that the amount recommended on the adult or the puppy food? Jaspar ate about a cup of adult Royal Canin a day as a puppy, split into three meals, then two, and was about that size at that age. If the vet thinks that's a fine amount though then sounds like she is doing fine. Puppies usually tend to be roly poly and also to look much larger right after meals. They all have different metabolisms.

Again as always it would be a good idea to use Laura Lang's feeding page as a reference point with any questions on feeding from puppies to normal to overweight adults. Also to see what you cavalier should look like when fit and when fit starts to become fat.

http://www.roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

Its the puppy food. It says that a 2 kilo{4.4lbs} puppy should eat 50grms a day split into three meals. She does seem to look for more and when I give her treats she almost takes my hand with it. But I dont want her to be fat.Not sure what to do. I will checkout the website.
Thanks

If she's anything like Twinkle she will always look for more. Don't give in though, she's the right weight and you're feeding enough.

Well I feel like I have a porker. Sabrina weighed 5lbs 2 oz when she wa 8 weeks old. I haven't weighed her this week but she is now 9 1/2 weeks old. When she wakes up I am weighing her. She was the biggest one of the litter. She doesn't overeat and I don't think she looks large, of course what can look large at a bit over 5 lbs. LOL.

Ok Sabrina woke up and I weighed her, she is 5lbs 7oz. Her father is a larger cavalier now that I think about it and her mom is average for a cavalier. Maybe I worry too much. LOL

Darby was 4.8 lbs at 8 weeks and 9 weeks
At 12 weeks he was 6.8 lbs and he is going to the Vet next week at 16
weeks I will let you know how much he weighs then.

I know he has gained at least another lb or two.

Back