Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Busta got funny belly

Post Thanks / Like

Default Busta got funny belly

Busta had his booster on Friday and then I wormed him on the Saturday evening, he was fine no problems.... but he had soft stools which have seemed to have got worse - we stuck with the James Welbeloved biscuits for a few day and didn't improve, so has been on chicken and rice for the last few days - still very runny, and there are bits of rice in a light brown gel consistency..... he will try and go a few times, the last few are very small amounts with a little blood in. He has never really been bad with poo (the last time he ate one of the bones but that passed through).... he is fine in himself, his last feed was last night, Darren suggested leaving his feed today and then feeding him tomorrow just to give his tummy some time to settle.... any comments.... I called the vets and they said keep with the chicken and rice (or try koly) and if not cleared up in a couple of days call them.....

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Busta. Yes in people they say to let the bowel rest 24 hours. I do that when my pups occaisionly get the GI thing. But make sure they have water to drink and are drinking. Then I just use chicken broth and rice and little pieces of chicken til I can see the poops are norma. The blood is likely just because of irritation to the bowel with the loose poops. Good luck. Make sure he is not running a temp also...if so I would call the vet back.
    Mary-owned by Maya, Scout, Jazz and Sassy
    Annie at the bridge 3/13
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance......

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Poor Busta - sometimes worming can set off tummies

Several suggestions - a couple of dessert spoons of live natural yogurt with a baked potato for a couple of meals.

If really bad, try starving again first, then chicken broth {Monica Segal's recipe!}-

5 cups water
    2 chicken wings
    small carrot
    stick of celery
    1/2 sm potato
    sm pinch of salt {to replace lost sodium etc}

Bring to the boil and simmer until the chicken is soft.
    Leave to cool a bit and strain - I keep the chicken for later but dispose of the veg.
    Once cold, strain off the fat.

They can manage quite well on this for a few days, and it seems to help through a bad patch of diarrhoea.

If you are seeing more than a tiny amount of blood in it though I would go straight to the vets - and/or if they are very flat.

Hope he's better soon.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Fanks Aunty Nicki...... Mums going to starve me for 24 hours, so no treats or chicken.......

Post Thanks / Like

I think the biggest piece of advice I ever got about a bad tummy was to let the tummy rest for 24 hours. The tract needs to clean itself out completely and then go with chicken and rice for several days.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Poor Busty wusti...we nowes How use feeeels...ouYR Rotttten Mummie strvs us 2 sumtimes xxxxx
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Arr Mummee starrrvs us as well its not fairrrrrrrrrrrr

AND CharlEe wen ta see Unkul Jaymz tadee an I ad ta stay ome

Luvs Maxxy xxxXxx

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to hear about the symptoms. glad to hear he's acting like he feels OK at least. that's so important. was it a rabies booster?

what's koly?

Post Thanks / Like

I think Claire meant Coley - it's a bland white fish, a bit similar to cod only more plentiful.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, thats what I mean't.... Busta still wasn't all the good last night so we took him to the vets, he had a temperature and was very gassy, and on the way there he did a poo so I took that in - he is on Kaobiotic for 5 days and his poo has been sent away for analysis (another 100.00 at the vet!!!). He had chicken and rice last night and did not go during the night so fingers crossed, little sod this morning didn't want the rice and only had chicken - although I got to admit I cooked wrong so it was a bit stodgy.