Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Charlie's got spots :(

Post Thanks / Like

Fingers crossed he is okay, my mob are sending big licks.... have they been anyway where someone has sprayed pesticides or anything?

Post Thanks / Like

Morning girls,

Thanks for all the replies . Firstly, no, Charlie hasn't been anywhere that they've been spraying & I'm really careful about what I use/plant in the garden too - even my holly and daffodils are fenced off out of their way. I only use 'Growing Success' garden stuff too as it's organic and perfectly safe to pets, wildlife and children.

Nicki, I think I'm just on the lookout for signs of SM all the time, having already got one baby with it. Does that make sense? I try not to be paranoid about it though - unilke some people we know (no one who posts on here but you and Alison will know who I mean ) *Slaps own wrist*

Judy, bless you for your detective work Benadryl is available here in all the formulations except for Diphenhydramine HCI (Hydrochloride) ... http://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/searchresults.asp? I've posted a link so you can see the difference!

Diphenhydramine is found in Benylin & some OTC sleep remedies - I have some Benylin in the kitchen so if his tablets don't come in soon, I'll give him 1/2 tsp and see how he gets on. He's running around like a lunatic at the minute but still feels really hot to the touch, poor love . There is definitely a difference between his and Maxx's temperatures as Maxx just feels 'normal'!

I know he's not himself though because he adores my eldest son (they play rough together & Charlie loves to 'attack' him). However, when Rhys got in from work last night, Charlie didn't even get up from the sofa to greet him and when Rhys went over to tickle his tummy, Charlie pushed his hand away and moaned

Will go and check Zack's thread now, I hope he gets better soon, poor baby

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxs_Mummy
    ... Benadryl is available here in all the formulations except for Diphenhydramine HCI (Hydrochloride) ... http://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/searchresults.asp? I've posted a link so you can see the difference!
    for some reason i can't open the link. If i delete the last part, /searchresuls.asp?, the site opens up. but if i leave that part on, the page won't load, it just sits there. I tried deleting it, getting onto the site and then typing benadryl into the search field, but then the page just sits there. don't know what's wrong.

...He's running around like a lunatic at the minute but still feels really hot to the touch, poor love . There is definitely a difference between his and Maxx's temperatures as Maxx just feels 'normal'!
    How's Charlie doing today? Does he still feel hot?

I know he's not himself though because he adores my eldest son (they play rough together & Charlie loves to 'attack' him). However, when Rhys got in from work last night, Charlie didn't even get up from the sofa to greet him and when Rhys went over to tickle his tummy, Charlie pushed his hand away and moaned
    It's that kind of thing that tells us when something is wrong, that's when i get worried, when things like that happen.

I hope Charlie is improving--if he has pyoderma, maybe that can explain his abnormal behavior and moaning. Zack sure was miserable for 3 days. But it was when the lesions appeared that he started acting a little better and steadily improved over the next 24 hours. Anyway, pyoderma, i read, is almost always secondary to something else. So it may not be the lesions that are causing the dog to feel crummy..

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm, that's weird that the page wouldn't open Have a look on the Boots website and see if you can open that www.boots.com and type in Benadryl - Boots is probably our biggest chemists chain here.

Charlie's tablets didn't come in until mid afternoon at the Vet's yesterday so I gave him 2.5ml of Benylin (diphenhydramine) which knocked him out

He's now had two of his tablets and is still a bit itchy scratchy but nowhere near as much. He's also cooled down loads too He must be feeling better as he's running round like a flipping loony having one of his mad zoomy fits . Maxx doesn't do this anymore as he's too old and dignified so it's nice that Charlie does Maxx stands and watches him with this look on his face that semms to say kids! .

How is little Zack today? I sure hope he's feeling better

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So pleased that Ickle Wickle Charlie Farley is feelling better, bless him.

I have TWO running around doing those mad zoomy moments, then they get a bit rough and it all stops! SO funny to watch, and it's lovley to see TedBear play. He forgets everything for a few minutes, but it doesn't last long
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Awwww {{{{{{{{TedBear}}}}}}}} bless your ickle furry paws .

It's nice that he has got Jack to run around with though, Nicki. Charlie just runs around like a loony by himself. My friend brought her Cav girl up a couple of weeks ago (the one I looked after, before) but she keeps growling at Charlie and he's scared of her so not much playing went on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxs_Mummy
    ...he's running round like a flipping loony having one of his mad zoomy fits .

How is little Zack today? I sure hope he's feeling better

dog zoomy fits are great--you're lucky, very entertaining. zack doesn't have zoomy fits. he does do this wiggle waggle thing where he wags his whole body instead of just his tail but he doesnt' zoom around. my last dog that i had before him, Frank, used to have mad zoomy fits. i loved that.

zack is fine and normal now, except for the bumps that are still bothering him--on his upper legs, he has whole areas that are clusters of bumps, and a couple of times today he's been licking them a lot, but they are definitely healing, the scabs crumbling off.

i saw on another thread that you were at the vet with Charlie, hemorrhaging money. i do relate. any thing new? any info on what's going on? has he had any bloodwork?

Post Thanks / Like

He's had bloods taken and also skin scrapings. He's now on antihistamines (Tavegil - clemastine) until we get the results. I am convinced he has SM and has come up in bumps with the stress of it all

Post Thanks / Like

poor boy, you said you've suspected SM for a while--what makes you suspicious, the scratching is scary, if no other cause. does he have other possible symptoms too? It must be so scary having gone through discovering it with maxx. does the frusemide keep him feeling ok most of the time? damn disease.

i hope the blood tests come back with some more treatable explanation. Zack's hasn't turned out to be allergy (though i've gotten contradictory messages from vets, including from the same vet)--but one thing that's similar to charlie is that the bumps popped pup later, not in the beginning of the scratching. but in zack's case it was on the 3rd day. i think you said charlie's been scratching for a while.

when if first got zack when he was just under 4 months old, he was scratching a lot, so much that even though i'd always avoided using the insecticides before, i did have Advantage put on him, that's how much he was scratching. and one day he had a screeching shrieking fit while he was scratching, he continued to screech after he stopped scratching and ran in the house. . there was no obvious explanation for the scratching, so i was very worried it was SM. but he also had intermittent bloody diarrhea and intermittent vomiting (mostly on different days from the diarrhea) and when that was finally treated successfully after finally being correctly diagnosed, the scratching went away along with the diarrhea and vomiting so it looks like something related to the worms/parasites made him scratch--three negative stool samples and no sign of worms.

so hopefully there might be something like that going on for charlie. 4 out of 5 vets i saw had no idea at all that it could be worms/parasites. he had been dewormed previously.

hoping for the best for you and charlie

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Judy. Poor Zack he's really been through it, hasn't he?

With Charlie, he does this thing where he is scratching and licking at the same time and he appears to be in a trance - it's almost like a fit of some sorts. He also squeals sometimes when he scratches. He bites his front paws and he sometimes face rubs. Maxx face rubs when he's eaten but as soon as his mouth is clean he stops He's just a minger who likes to wipe his dinner in my legs or the rug

There's just something about Charlie that I can't quite put my finger on, behaviour wise. He's most certainly not 100% normal! We love him all the same but I want to get to the bottom of this and get him the treatment he needs and deserves. After all, he didn't exactly have the best start in life - we're his 4th home and he was only 2 in March (that's not including the breeders home either). None of this was his fault and I know he now feels really secure with us. I do wonder whether he has been abused at some stage too (not in his last two homes for definite). Last week, Maxx was in the recycling bag, helping himself to a takeaway curry carton (he's now got a red chin ) and I caught him. I took the carton off him, sealed the bag back up and said 'Bad dog' in a stern voice. Maxx knew I meant him and gave me a filthy look, huffed and then went and peed on my water feature in a typical 'up yours' attitude!

Poor Charlie, however, was standing in the garden (I was in the garage) and he immediately ran and hid in between the sheds. It took me ages to coax him out again I felt awful but I had to berate Maxx or he'd have thought it was OK!!!!

He's not really a nervous dog but he does cower at certain things. we're trying to break him of this and he is doing OK but it's taking time. I just do not and never will understand anyone who harms animals or terrorises them