• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Distressing grunting sounds

catriona

hi, i am just wondering if anyone can help me, my cavalier makes frightening grunting sounds at times, usually when he is being brought on a walk, sounds like he's choking.
any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanksjavascript:emoticon(':?')
Catriona
:drivecar:javascript:emoticon(':drivecar:')

grunting

Hi there,
How are you?
Hope doggy is improving.
It might be due to pulling on the lead if it's attached to the collar rather than a harness
Brid

Hi Catriona
This isn't the "reverse sneeze" that cavaliers can be famous for is it? Mine do it when they are excited usually. It is more like a snort than a choke. If you lift their chest and gently push their nose toward the chest they will stop.

Mary

This may sound like doggie torture but if you blow in their nose or gently block their nasal passages for a second it will stop the reverse sneeze. :roll:

JaneB

I have also heard if you stick your finger in their mouths to unclench their jaws so they take a breath that helps too. Sometimes I just tell mine " take a breath" and that gets their attention and stops the snort!

this is a really frightening sound. my daughter's cavalier belle was doing it when we were out on a walk a few months ago, and Lisa said it happens sometimes and said the vet said it was something about a part of the throat or upper mouth being too soft or something, and falling over the air opening. It sounded like a combination of choking and snorting, but like she couldn't breathe, it was a terrible sound. lisa ended up carrying her because it happened more than once, we'd start walking again and it would happen again. she had talked to the vet about it and was told it was normal.

I will pass these tips along to her about what to do for it.

My two do this all the time, especially Charlie, it's gross. The Vet told me to cover their noses when they do it. I tried it and it stops it like magic :D

Willow reverse sneezes more than Cedar. She's been through more stress lately, so it could be that, too.

It does sound like they are dying or something, and when people dont know it's normal, they start to freak out (which can sometimes aggrivate the dog's breathing, too).

The tips listed above have always worked for us with both Willow and Cedar.

Thanks for the good advice

This is very helpful. Thanks everyone! I will try covering his nose next time he does it.

Catriona :)

Back