Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here we go again - Cailean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by misty

I know it's only a tiny anaesthetic, but you always worry a little.
    Worry a little? Jeez I was in tears when Maxx was poorly the other week. My own Vet is used to me but this was a locum. I think the poor guy thought I was a nutter

He was very good though. After he gave Maxx a shot he handed me a tissue and said it was to make mummy better

I hope it's good news Misty, I really do. you just don't deserve this all over again

I didn't realise you'd already spoken to the Cardiologist already, I'm sorry Let's hope that Cailean has a good life left ahead of him yet. As I said before, my friend's little Bobby was 14 when we passed over. XXXXX

Post Thanks / Like

We're back from the vets.

His heart is absolutely enormous. A little part of me wanted to believe that maybe, just maybe, Cailean would have been less badly affected by Declan.

Cailean's actually presented with symptoms about 3 months earlier than his daddy.

His windpipe has been pushed right out of the way by his heart. His heart is about 50% bigger than it should be.

He is on Fortekor & Frusemide and needs to go back to the vets in a week.

The vet said she has known Cavaliers with MVD to go on and on and I know they will persist in mixing and matching the meds. to get the best solution for Cailean.

I'm usually very philosophical about this, but not tonight. Tonight I want to stamp my feet and shout that it's not fair. I haven't even had time to get over the loss of Declan on 20th May, let alone come to terms with Cailean having the same disease.

Tomorrow I want to start enjoying every moment with Cailean yet again, but right now I just feel sorry for myself.

Cailean is my 4th Cavalier - and now the 4th to have MVD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, I've so sorry to hear this. We'll all hope he has many years despite the enlarged heart. Did you read the article I posted here on Pimobendan? Is that an option too?

PatB's post that I linked to above is also full of good info on making sure they get as much time as possible; often this can be a full life of many many extra years. But it is still so unfair that this lovely breed has this terrible issue and that it is so widespread. It is so difficult that you are now dealing with this again, so soon after a painful loss.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

DEFINITELY not fair!!! Thoughts of you and Cailean and hoping for the meds to help a great deal.
    Mary-owned by Maya, Scout, Jazz and Sassy
    Annie at the bridge 3/13
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance......

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your support.

Today is another day. Cailean is gradually getting more lively and we've had some lovely cuddles already this morning.

I'm now ready to get on with the rest of his life with him. My daughter's told him he has an extra big heart because he has so much love to give and he can't fit it into a normal heart.

He's getting the hang of his meds. - stands around waiting for a treat to take them with .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Misty, what a sweet thing for your daughter to say! He is so lucky to have you to love him. Cherish every moment with your little boy!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)