• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Raw hide chew bones - How many?

Mia

Hi all

My Bailey is crazy about these chew bones and could eat them one after the other! I generally don't give him other treats and was just wondering if there is anything unhealthy about these bones and how many you should give a day?

Also i was reading about chicken and rice being better for the dog than dried food. I know that Bailey would prefer chicken and rice but just not sure if it is better or not!!

Also any tips on keeping coat nice and shiny or is he losing his puppy coat - he is going to be two next December!

Thanks !!!

I am curious what people say about rawhide too, since my dogs like it. I don't know why some people say it is bad for them.

On the coat, I can give you my experience. I brush my cav's every day and wash them once a month and their coats are still shiny. Ages 4, 3 and 2 years old.

Some rawhide chews are preserved with Ethoxyquin, BHT, BHA-- you really have to be careful of where they are made-- Especially since some of these preservatives can possibly cause birth defects.
Second point is that some dogs swallow pieces that aren't easily digested and they can cause blockages. Sandy

I give rawhide as well but always supervised and never more than one or two a week or so. They are a cause of blockages -- basically ask your vet for advice. Many vets don't recommend them because they can cause a potentially life-threateing obstrcution when the dog chews off large pieces and swallows them.

I tend to prefer the 'sheets' rather than those twists and tied bones. The sheets are about 4" by 5" and are about an eight of an inch thick. The dogs can't easily chew off pieces on these sheets.

Bully sticks are a better option as they are far more digestible. Or something like cornstarch chew bones. Bully sticks are only available in Ireland at Lidl, that I can find -- they call them 'pizzle sticks' (and yes that is what they are!) :lol: They have them over with the dog treats, three to a package.

Thanks for all your help everyone.
Karlin I can't believe that about the bones - scary! I usually give Bailey one or two a day - I will definately kick that habit it is just that he loves to chew things and these are better than my shoes etc!

I will try to find those you recommended in Lidl and see how i get on!

Check with your vet, is always the best advice. (y)

Good things for chewing:

nylabones (either the hard plastic ones or the new chewables)
rope toys
pizzle sticks/bully sticks (these last for ages by the way - it will take a dog hours to days to chew one down)
cornstarch bones (also last a really long time -- lots of pet shops are starting to carry these)
toilet roll or paper towel roll cores (yes, really! Mine like to chew the ends slowly; they will keep them bust for a good while
cardboard boxes
occasional rawhides, if you are comfortable with rawhides
hard rubber toys
stuffed kongs

Mine aren't real chewers and don't care for a lot of the chew toys out there, but they love those Lidl pizzle sticks. Good for making men feel inadequate. 8)

In general you want to be fairly careful about limiting food-based treats as this breed puts on weight too easily, which in turn puts extra strain on their hearts, which we all want to avoud because of the breed tendency to get MVD.

It can help to rotate around chew toys too or they just get bored with them. I have heard it recommended never to have more than a couple of toys available to a dog at any one time or they just lose interest. Better to keep rotating them around every few days or every week or whatever and keep fresh interest. :)

Thanks Karlin I will begin the search to find some of these and have them in stock to change over every couple of days - one thing though - I gave Bailey a rubber toy and he chews it and SWALLOWS the bits!! Also gave him toilet rolls to play with and also swallows pieces that he chews off!!! He also has a tendency to eat pieces of bark in the garden!!!

He eats well and gets food as normal so i don't understand why he does this - I also play with him give him lots of walks and so it can't be that he is bored!!

Does anyone else have this problem!

Mine love egg boxes - my hoover and back doesn't - please be careful about the rawhide chews I am sure I saw a link saying that some of them are actually made of dog/cat skin.... check the packaging.

My lot (when they are not having upset stomachs) have Dentastiks in the evening as these are good for their teeth.

On weekends they also have bully sticks or small pork scratching things... just so I am around to watch them, as Woody either steals everyone elses or tries to eat things in one go.
:sl*p:

Merlin has had rawhide bones since he was little but they have to be the big ones - he doesn't like the little ones. I always supervise him though when he has them ( that because usually I am the rock he leans on whilst trying to destroy them!). Dentafresh do something similiar but they don't break down as fast so I will leave them about for him. He also has dentastix every other night and so far (at 17 months) he has not one bit on plaque on those peggies ( which I believe can be a factor in the cause of MVD (if I have been informed correctly)

Back