Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marley

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marley

Hi all, it has been a while, but no news is good news, Marley is doing great and we managed to get some of our money back from "the middle man breeder" she is a happy healthy girl aside from the few ailments she arrived with..she goes back to the vet today. She is doing well with potty training. We leave her in her crate while we are at work and she manages to hold the poo for us until we get home, but she always pees in her kennel..we suspect that she is still too young to hold it for an entire day. The night is a different story though-she barks when she needs to go out but its 3-4 times, some times more a night!!! And she goes everytime we take her out! She eats at 5 and she's a nibbler so we take up the food and water no later than 7...we take her out several times before we put her to bed around 9...and at 10:30 is is crying to go out!! what can we do? At one point we got so tired we just put her in bed with us...and she did well for a while, we thought we solved the problem because she only wanted to go once in the middle of the night, but one time she did have an accident. We love her in our bed but sometimes shes stinky and she love to chew on our comforter and sheets and just be annoying lol imagine that. I feel like I have to sleep with one eye open when she's in bed with us, so no dog in the bed-sorry Mar girl. So needless to say she's back in her kennel-and back to getting up 4 times a night-what do we do.
    Also if anyone has had luck with some good toys, please tell me what they are, Marley is more interested in our flip flops and belts and wicker table than any of her toys! We got her a rope but she started to eat the strings and had obvious trouble digesting it-not fun!! I want something, atleast one thing I can trust to leave in the kennel with her so she doesn't get bored....thanks for any advice

Post Thanks / Like

Why is she "stinky"? I sleep with 6-8 on any given night and they all have to smell good. Does she have a UTI? That could make her go often and wet her kennel. Sandy

Post Thanks / Like

she just smells like dog..lol, nothing too bad-I don't think she has a UTI she goes often and doesn't seem to have any trouble and she is drinking a regular amount of water...I guess I could take a sample along with me tonight since we are going tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as toys, go, have you tried a kong? You can stuff it with tasty treats, freeze, it or give it to the dog empty. Frozen rags (twisted into a log) also helps with teething pups.

How old is Marley? How long is Marley left alone during the day? If she's urinating in her kennel, she could simply be left in her kennel too long. If you cant go home during the day, it's a good idea to have a friend or dog sitter stop by and let the dog out and exercise a bit. Sitting in a kennel for 8 or more hours a day is hard on any dog, and a puppy simply doesnt have the bladder size to hold urine that long.

Plus, if she's not going potty in her kennel, she wont get so smelly so fast!

Post Thanks / Like

yah we are gone for 9 hours plus, I Try to get home but sometimes I just can't-you are right she needs to go out in the middle of the day...
    And I will get the Kong-lol

Post Thanks / Like

Shes about 5 months, sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

With all due respect, I think you really, really need to either get someone to come in midday or find a doggie daycare type of place to keep her. Nine hours (plus!) is way too long for even a full grown adult to last, especially five days a week. It's placing the dog in a very painful condition, especially at such a young age. Imagine trying to hold it yourself for so many hours, or asking a toddler to hold itself, amd you can see what I mean. Marley is still a baby and this must be distressing for her to have no option but to wee (in general a dog can only hold itself at max, an hour for every month of age). Dogs in general find it very distressing to have to dirty their living space in this way and it makes it very hard to ever housetrain the dog as well if it learns that dirtying its living space is not just an option but a requirement -- that is what she is currently learning.

A dog can become seriously ill as well from trying to hold in urine in particular for so many hours, day after day. It needs to be able to empty its bladder at least once during that stretch.

Can you try a room for her, like a kitchen -- or even an x-pen? This is lining her up for housetraining issues, to have her peeing in her crate (end exposing herself to urine burns) as well as behaviour issues. It is very boring and unstimulating for a dog to be left in a crate for such a stretch, too. It's not generally recommended to keep a dog crated longer than a 4-5 hour stretch, maximum.

Is there any way you can address this to get someone in for a walk? Often a retired person or teen can come in and there are many commercial dog walking services, too. Or can you and your partner alternate getting home?

You might try to train the dog to use a litter box, or papers, inside, and give her a room to stay in, as a compromise. There are directions for doing this in Shirlee Kalstone's book on housetraining a dog.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here's advice from the American Dog Trainers Network on crating:

Crating Duration Guidelines

9-10 Weeks

Approx. 30-60 minutes

11-14 Weeks

Approx. 1-3 hours

15-16 Weeks

Approx. 3-4 hours

17 + Weeks

Approx. 4+ (6 hours maximum)

*NOTE: Except for overnight, neither puppies nor dogs should be crated for more than 5 hours at a time. (6 hours maximum!)
    More info on crating:

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html
    http://www.nhspca.org/community-serv...eTraining.html
    http://www.terrier.com/wwwboard/faq/crating2.htm
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Please please get someone to come in during the day, aside from the wetting she must be very lonley in her kennel for that long. Maybe that is why she is crying in the night as she as been on her own all day she may just want company. Good luck

Sarah Xxx

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Karlin. She shouldn't be kenneled or crated for that amount of time. Cavaliers are social dogs and need people around them. I felt guilty at having to leave mine on their own for 3 or 4 hours whilst I was at work & there's two of them and they have the whole downstairs of the house to do as they please in.

Please, please, please find a doggy daycare centre to leave her at, or a dogsitter or dogwalker to pop in and break up her day, let her out for a wee and walk her & please reconsider leaving her in a kennel for more than a few hours. It must feel like she's in a doggy prison in solitary confinement

I also think the chewing of your comforter and sheets is a comfort thing - these dogs are like babies and babies suck and chew things.

One accident on the bed at 5mths shouldn't be a huge problem to ban her for either. I once spent every day of the week at the launderette with my duvet where Charlie was having accidents.

I'm sorry to sound hard but if you are both out for 9 hours plus, 5 days a week and leave her caged all that time then why get a dog? They are not toys, they have feelings too

Maybe I am too soft and caring with my two but I had them because I wanted them and wanted to spend time with them. In fact, I very often say no to invitations because I don't want to leave them & they can't attend. I think they'd rather that to being left in a cage for 9 hours plus a day, Day in, day out & then being banished from the bed for having an accident and being stinky though.

As I said, maybe I sound hard but did you really think it through before you went and got Marley?