• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Nylabones

arasara

Hi Guys,

I recently had an issue with a nylabone and I thought I would note it here.

I bought a nylabone pack for Kosmo and it was pork chop flavor petite size. It was part of the healthy edibles line. On the package it said it was safe for both gentle and strong chewers, and I remember something about the biggest size they are supposed to ingest being about the size of a grain of rice.

I opened the pack of two an gave Kosmo one while Avi and I watched a movie. I checked on him in the middle of the movie, and to my horror he had bitten it into chunks! :yikes :yikes

I checked the other one and it was also a lot softer than any of the other nylabones I have bought before. I am not sure if we just got some from a defected batch or there are some nylabones that are very soft. I've never had a problem with any of the nylabone products I've gotten before and I don't know if it's just because it's from the edibles line? The bacon one he had before he was fine with though?

I am thankful that I was able to catch that it broke into pieces before I left him in a crate with it. I do have certian nylabones that I leave him with, I am just suggesting you guys to check the consistency of your nylabones before you leave your dogs crated with them ! Has anybody else ever experienced a similar problem?

Cedar ingested the only nylabone I have ever purchased in about 2 minutes. She had an upset tummy for a day or so, but luckily she managed to pass it all. (She did vomit some of it up!)

I wont buy another nylabone.

I'm glad cedar is o.k! I've fallen in absolute virtual love with her. SHe and Willow are so cute all snuggled up! :) Too bad that you had the same sort of experience with the nylabone. Thankfully I was able to catch Kosmo before he physically swollowed anything. I am sure he would have swollowed if i gave him the chance. Do you remember the kind that she tore up? I am just wondering if there are some that are softer than others, and how I figure that out without buying every flavor in the store. The only one I do leave him with now is part of the "inedible" series and he hasn't managed to break anything off of that yet. I took them all away when he broke off that chunk. It scared me half to death because if any dog is going to die from choking on something, it will be Kosmo. How's Willow doing? :)

arasara said:
I'm glad cedar is o.k! I've fallen in absolute virtual love with her. SHe and Willow are so cute all snuggled up! :) [. . . ] How's Willow doing? :)

I'm glad she was okay, too! I watched her closely. I could imagine the indigestion!! I was relieved when she vomited, as I knew most of it was out of her system, then.

Willow is doing fine. She and Cedar played tug of war for the first time tonight. They got a new froggie (Cedar's favorite toy ever, and she needed a new one!) and they both wanted it. They had a ball! (Not sure Froggie appreciated it, though!).

the only edible nylabones i ever got zack were the lamb and rice flavored ones. I thought those were supposed to be eaten--isn't that why they are called edible? I stopped giving them to Zack because he was eating those instead of his regular food. he just chewed them in fairly small pieces. I guess you are saying kosmo and cedar swallowed pieces that were too big? Zack is not a strong chewer. He's a weak chewer. I just wish i could find a kibble that is in smaller pieces because i think he has kind of a hard time chewing normal kibble. Zack did get sick on a greenie once, vomited it and had in his poop too. It was after i already had stopped giving him greenies and he found one under a chair or some place.

glad you caught kosmo in time.

I've never used Nylabones (no particular reason) but I'm shocked that your babies could chew them into such large pieces :yikes

I'm so glad that they are both OK though. Judy, glad Zack is OK after the Greenie episode too :flwr:

I think if they make claims like 'no larger than a grain of rice' on the pack, I would write to them and tell them of your experiences. the manufacturers need to know before some other poor dog chokes to death!

They might also send you some freebies out of gratitude for bringing it to their attention ;) xxxxx

We bought the set, one was fine that broke into tiny pieces when chewed, the second one was a big problem - large chunks, which Busta had problems with it really did his stomach in. The last one is plastic hard and they had no interest in it.

I am really careful now and double check everything...

Moviedust,

LOL @ cedar and willow. Is Mr.Froggie still in one piece after all of that action? I am glad they are having fun together. I guess next time you need 2 froggies! :)

Judy,

Yeah, they are supposed to be edible, but I am guessing they are kinda like the greenies thing. There is a large contraversy going on in the states right now over greenies because they are hard to digest. According to my trainer there was a lady who left her dog unsupervised with one and the dog chewed off such large chunks that it choked to death. I don't think the lady was right to leave her dog unsupervised, but I also think the company should be a bit more careful. My vet told me not to even think about Greenies until Kosmo was an adult because they are hard to digest. And the problem with the nylabone was that when I saw it, it was in 1/4s! It was also still wet and I took my fingernail and scratched it and some of it actually came off! :yuk:

Maxxs_Mummy,

Yeah I am glad our babies are o.k. too! I just was shocked to see the thing in such large pieces when people are suggesting to leave the dogs alone with them all the time. I thought I would try to make people more aware. Maybe I will write the company and say that I've spoken to others who've had similar experiences with the product - good idea!

Claire,

I am "too careful" now too. :( It kinda sucks for Kosmo as he gets almost nothing when I am gone! hehe. I give him his kong, some rubber pacifier thing, and one of those clear nylabones that he hasn't managed to chew into pieces yet. I think he keeps most busy with the kong though. Thank God for them. :) Isnt it weird how many people have had the same exact experience?

karlin said:
Off topic: love that new avatar pic of Cedar and Willow! :)

Thanks! As I perfect my multi-dog photography skills, I will probably replace them frequently. (That's assuming my skills will improve :? )

arasara said:
Moviedust,

LOL @ cedar and willow. Is Mr.Froggie still in one piece after all of that action? I am glad they are having fun together. I guess next time you need 2 froggies! :)

LOL We bought 2 Froggies this time, but they only get to destroy one at a time. ;) Froggie #2 is still intact (which is why I was willing to buy more--they are very strong--Dr. Noy Toy), though he is now blind. His felt eyes were the first things to go :roll:

karlin said:
]Off topic: love that new avatar pic of Cedar and Willow! :)

Yep, me too it's gorgeous and show how much they like each other :flwr:

Moviedust said:
LOL We bought 2 Froggies this time, but they only get to destroy one at a time. ;) Froggie #2 is still intact (which is why I was willing to buy more--they are very strong--Dr. Noy Toy), though he is now blind. His felt eyes were the first things to go :roll:

LMAO my two always take the eyes out too. The amount of surgery I've had to do on their toys is something else :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back