• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

URGENTLY!!!!!!-------- HAS YOUR PUPPY EVER EATEN HER POOOOOO

Jen114

PLEASE HELP... LITTLE MOLLY HAS BEEN CAUGHT EATING HER POOP AND IT IS NOT THE FIRST TIME.......

SHE DOES NOT LEAVE HER LONG ON HER OWN ACTUALLY SHE IS IN THE CRATE MOST OF THE TIME BUT TODAY SHE OPENED THE CRATE AFTER SHOPPING SO SHE DOES HER WEE WEE AND SHE DID IT ON THE PAPER GOOOD GIRL!!! THEN SHE LEFT HER TO PLAY WHILE PUTTING GROCERIES AWAY AND SHE ALMOST FINISHED ALL HER POOOP

WHAT DO YOU DO? WHY DOES SHE DO IT????

Hi Jen,

I'm a bit confused. Do you mean that Molly spends most of her time in her crate?

It could be a number of things. The most common being that she has been scolded for pooping and wants to clean it up quickly before she gets scolded again. OR, it could be that she's lacking in something in her diet (maybe her body doesn't readily absorb it from her food) this can be remedied by giving her some charcoal biscuits from the pet shop. OR it could be internal parasites (worms) - has she been wormed lately?

If it carries on I'd take her to see a Vet but try the charcoal biccies and worming first.

what i ment is she is beling trained..... crate trained

so she is in and out like all the books say..... out to wee wee ..... play etc..... and then she goes in to sleep and then again out to wee wee ect ect so anotherwards she is being watched most of the time......

(i said this as i could imagine the comments would be to watch her) but she is watched .... but then she turns her back to do somethign and she does a poo and then eats it

Jen, just read one of your other posts where you said about Abby having a big round tummy. If her and Molly have been together then it could be worms and they are passing back and forth. I think I'd get Molly wormed before you do anything else. If she's recently been wormed then ask the Vet about how soon you can do it again (can't remember with pups as it's a long time since I had one!).

I'll bet 100/1 that this is the problem.

I can imagine that you are watching her! Tbh I was surprised when I read that she is 'in the crate most of the time' as from your other posts I thought she was being well played with and loved sooooooooooooo much :lol:

If it's not worms and doesn't stop within days of being wormed, then get her some charcoal biccies from the pet shop.

I think tbh, it's something taht most pups or dogs will do at some stage in their lives. My GSD was a nightmare, if we didn't clean it up immediately she'd been she'd eat it. She'd also eat the droppings after our rabbits had been & wash their bottoms and even used to try and clean my youngest's bottom when i was changing his nappy - I think she was just extremely maternal and wanted to 'clean puppies' all the time.

Many years ago I had this problem with a Sheltie. It was only her poo (thank heavens) that it happened with although I know other dogs that will eat anyone'S UGH.....

How did I solve it......it was trial and error.

You can buy tablets to swallow with food so that the poos taste revolting at the other end...this didn't work.

Rewarding and calling her away after a poo....yes that worked but you need to be there for every toilet stop....not really that practical.

An alternative vet that we visited thought it might be something missing in the diet.....I gave her Vit B and Yeast Vite tablets....this worked for me. Obviously she was missing something and tried to get it through eating the poo, sheep and goats do this as well. He also mentioned that it could be something she had learnt from the mother dog as they usually clean up after the pups when small.

Has she only just started doing it?

Hope this helps,

Alison, Wilts, UK.

It's all to do with their mothers cleaning up after them, so she has learn't it from being a puppy, clean it up at once if possible - so she doesn't have the opportunity.

My lot never actually ate their own poo, just cats it seems - must smell nicer / a meaty smell - I am sure Karlin posted something that you put on the poo to make them taste awful...

Eating feces is a common enough problem for some dogs. Some eat other dogs' feces; some eat their own; some both.

Sometimes the biscuits etc will work; for some dogs, nothing works. The best course of action is always prevention -- eg clean up after her immediately so that she never has the option to eat it. Also keep her away from other dogs' feces.

It is disgusting to us but actually doesn't do much to the dog. Mine are big fans of cat poops. :yuk:

If you google something like 'dog eating feces' you will get tons of advice.

Well my little Annie-Belle used to run away down the garden with your undies if you left them around while having a shower/bath!!! :yikes

Very entertaining for the neighbours no doubt, all over the lawn in daylight! :lol:

When Donna looked after her for a week when I went on holiday she did the same to hers, up and awy down the garden! :D

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

You all are hilarious!!! with your stories. I am laughing at my computer. Actually, Quincy has the same problem. I brought this perfect little girl puppy home and it wasn't long until I caught her at it. :yuk: My vet assistant said to put Adoph's meat tenderizer on her food. It probably goes along with the same thing as said above. Whatever comes out the other end is not as tasty as before! :lol: I am so glad to read this thread as I was thinking I had gotten some socially unacceptable behaviour in a dog.

Marsha

Alison_Leighfield said:
Well my little Annie-Belle used to run away down the garden with your undies if you left them around while having a shower/bath!!! :yikes

Very entertaining for the neighbours no doubt, all over the lawn in daylight! :lol:

When Donna looked after her for a week when I went on holiday she did the same to hers, up and awy down the garden! :D

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Cheers Alison,

You just tell everyone about my knickers being dragged round the garden :lol:

It was actually quite funny. I was laying in the bath and as Maxx hates closed doors, the door was ajar. Next thing Maxx was in and then AnnieBS (which stands for Buggasodz :lol: ) came in as well. Within minutes Maxx was snoring but Annie had other ideas....

Seconds alter there was a yell from hubby "Your jeans are in the garden", then "Your t-shirt is in the garden". then youngest shouted "Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuum, Annie's got your knickers and she's dragging them round the garden :lol: " Thing is, he had a friend in the garden at the time :oops: - good job I don't wear granny pants is all I can say :lol: :lol: :lol:

How I miss that little *ng*l :( . Considering everything that her and Hunnybuns had been through, they were such characters and it was all down to Alison making them know how safe and secure they were :flwr:

Alison_Leighfield said:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

:rotfl: Haha, Bono does that to.
I sometimes have to run around the house with the towel around my middle, looking for my painties. Like you said, ver amusing for the neighbours. :lol:

Back