• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Brother or Sister???

Mia

Hi all - I knew the minute i found this website that i would get no work done due to all of the questions?! icon_whistling

Need to know from everyone's experience on this one cause each dog is different!!
We are wondering about getting Bailey a playmate?? He loves to play with other dogs or children - and the kids thing isn't happening just yet!! ;)

He seems to crave a playmate to play tug with him and chase flies!! I am just wondering if he will manage the diminished attention time as he is our baby!!

He is a yr and a half old now and we are considering getting another King in the next month or two - also boy or girl - Bailey is a barker and we were also thinking that another dog may calm this down a little or else double the noise!!

Help i am in two minds!!!!

We have three boys...... when we got Woody, Busta played alot more with him and let us out of playing throw every evening. We introduced Woody very carefully Busta had a sulk for about an hour and had a go when Woody tried to jump on his back but was fine after that. I would go for it.... just remember you will have to do the four feeds, the training and be there for the first few weeks.

I also have two males, just a personal preferance.

Dudley is 2 1/2 years old and we introduced Darby Ruby whom is now 15 weeks old at 8 weeks of age.

It took Dudley a good month to accept Darby, he still has his moments.

Dudley is not a toy dog but Darby is and plays continuously.

Dudley will play with Darby but on his terms ususally more in the evening.

They do chase each other around in the backyard and all over the house, and also snuggle together. It took time for this to happen.

Only my opinion, The boys are In Love with You the females Love you :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

As long as your male isn't overly territorial ( most cavalier males aren't) you could get either sex. Multiple females are more likely to have issues. I have a female alpha and a wanta be alpha. When they get grumpy-- I pull the "I AM ALPHA" card and everyone plays nice.

Barking-- have you tried a squirt bottle or a shake can. Sandy

I've always thought a dog should have another dog as it's playmate. Someone they can play with and sleep with. It really takes the pressure off, if you are at work and you know that the dog has a friend with them. That they are not alone.

I love what I am reading about male dogs. I had a male cavalier first and when he was 10 months old, I got his half-sister. They are best friends and wrestle together and sleep together. They are now 3 & 2 years old. Then in May I introduced a 2nd adult male (nearly 4 years old) into the family and I really wasn't sure what would happen.

Lukily the new male isn't territorial and the 2 existing dogs accepted him. However, the new male is in love with me. He is adorable. He is much more comfortable with me, than the other dogs, but I am seeing him accepted more and more into the other 2 cav's games.

I guess I vote for another male dog too. It worked for me.

If you're getting another pup then either. Be prepared for the sulking though :lol: Maxx loved Charlie for a while and then he realised he was staying... Sulk, sulk, sulk for a couple of weeks and now they love each other.

I just wish I'd found Charlie earlier as Maxx is 7 next month and has SM. He doesn't play much these days he just stands and watches as Charlie zooms round the garden with his toys!

I must say though that Maxx has been excellent with Charlie and for the first few weeks Charlie was quite a bully to him. he's let him have all his toys and chewies and everything. Now Charlie gets put in his place occasionally but neither are aggressive towards each other.

Charlie gets in Maxx's bed so Maxx will stand and glare at him until he gets out :lol: . They both get given a chewie and Charlie will want Maxx's so maxx will walk around with Charlie trying to get it out of his mouth. Maxx will keep turning his head in the opposite direction LOL & the best of all... Maxx will get on the bed and Charlie will push him out of the way so Maxx will wriggle around and put his butt in Charlie's face then let rip :yikes :lol:

I also agree with Linda. The females love you but the males are in love with you :l*v:

I have two females and have always been partial to female dogs. (male cats, female dogs) I have heard that the male Cav's are more affectionate than the girls. Lord, help me, I couldn't take any more love. My girls are very much the love bugs. I got them within 3 months of one another and had no problems with them getting along. They are the best of friends playmates. Of course, they are only 2 months apart in age and both were babies when they came to live with me. I think which sex is simple a personal preference as there are NO BAD Cavaliers. :flwr:

JaneB

I think you should choose the pup you fall in love with when you find the litter to view-not predisposed to a certain color or sex. I have 4 females...one ruby, 2 tris, one blk/tan and one ruby male. I love each and everyone of them and they love me...really don't see a lot of difference between males/females. Mine all get along with each other. The only time there is an alpha struggle is when there is food. I crate for food. My boy is the boss over all the girls which is weird as it is usually a girl that is top. Mine are all neutered/spayed.

Maxxs_Mummy said:
If you're getting another pup then either. Be prepared for the sulking though :lol: Maxx loved Charlie for a while and then he realised he was staying... Sulk, sulk, sulk for a couple of weeks and now they love each other.

Beauregard was sulky for a day or so when we brought Elvis home, and now a week later they're best buddies. It's fun to watch him try to help teach Elvis how to use the footstool to hop up on the couch, or climb the steps to the bed...just like Princess the Cocker did with him. :)

KC

Thanks all of you for your advice - I am still in two minds - I think it would be good for him to have someone to play with when i am not here or at work etc. Then on the other hand he is our baby and gets so spoiled - would he feel left out if there was another puppy in the mix?

Claire - I know what you mean about playing throw - Bailey just picks up all his toys and drops them at my feet and runs outside waiting for them to come flying out to him - would be nice if he had a playmate who would play with him!!

Linda - It sounds so cute about Dudley and Darby snuggling - then maybe we could get our bedroom back and maybe have a chance of a baby baby!!! :D

Woodhaven - Bailey is not territorial at all - he is so soft although when my mum's dog comes to stay - Bailey is so funny - he follows him around the garden almost peeing on him just so his smell isn;t left there!! I have to watch when i feed them also because Bailey will eat his food and then take on Sammy's and Sammy doesn;t protest!!
WHat is a squirt bottle or shake can?

Charleen - thanks for your advice!! Maybe the males give more love!!

Maxx's Mummy - Sorry about Maxx - they do sound adorable together! My mum's dog is 12 and all Bailey want s to do is play!! Sammy just looks at Bailey tearing around the garden and thinks he is mad! All Sammy wants to do at this stage of his life is sleep in peace - he doesn;t visit often!!! :lol:
That is so funny about Maxx letting one rip!!! :rotfl:

JaneB - THat is so true about there being no bad Cavs - they are the most divine animals can't get over how much love they have to give no matter what or how bad a mood i am in Bailey can always make me smile like no other!!!

Mary - maybe you are right just do what i did with Bailey - fell in love with him!! at first glance!!! :lotsaluv:

JeanKC - Thanks for the advice !

Well i think i am as confused as ever - its just really hard to go and see all of the pups as i know its going to be hard to pick just one!!! :cry*ing:

Back