• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

CORN??????

dona

I have a 10 month old Cavalier Kasey. We got Kasey 6 months after loosing our Sheltie and thinking we could never find one as close and good as she was. Tess was 14 and had become so muchone of our kids. Kasey has fit right in to our family, has been so easy to train, is a pure joy I don't know what we would have done with out him. We currently have Kasey on Eagle premium puppy food. At what age do we change from puppy food to adult food? I have read that corn in food is not good for our Cavaliers. Any thoughts on this? What effect does the corn have? I appreciate any and all feed back.

Welcome to the board! :)

Most reputable cavalier breeders that I have heard on this point believe you never need to feed a puppy food and indeed, feel you *should* never feed a puppy food, as it can accelerate growth (eg it has too many extra nutrients). So I'd take him off once you finish the current bag of food and move to an adult food.

Corn is a grain additive that occasionally causes allergic reactions in dogs but I've fed foods with corn and have never had a problem. I';ve never personally known of a dog allergic to corn.

Recommended reading on feeding including list of recommended foods:

www.roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

Corn also stimulates hyperactivity in a lot of dogs, so sometimes it is suggested you take them off of it if your dog is fidgity (sp?) a lot of the time.

Back