• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do I have symptoms of SM ?

Mimi

Hi
I read the SM section in the site last night , and one of my girls Heidi scratches her left ear alot . Has done since we got her. She is 2 and 9 months . The vet gave us opti clean and that gives relief when we put it in her ear , Its to clean out ear wax , being a Tri she has the most beautiful long ears ,she does the hoppy thing when we go for a walk , always with a harness. Am I being paranoid. She is a solid dog no trembling and extremely strong , the only thing is the scratching . A little every day , some days worse than others . Its only 2 years since I lost Ruby I dont think I'd have the strength to face a diagnosis on Heidi .
Any suggestions
Mimi

Mimi,

have you noticed anything else, any tender spots on her shoulders/ears/back? are her feet super sensitive? is she scooting on her bottom? any face rubbing?
start to keep a diary on everything, times places etc, see if you can find a little more from watching her. Let us know how you go OK?

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Heidi

Hi
No bottom scooting to speak of , occasionally our last Cav Ruby did alot of bottom scooting . No sore spots , a little face rubbing but usually in the nearest smell so nothing sinister about that , and her feet dont bother her at all. I'm probably just reading too much into it but i'll keep a diary just in case . Thanks
Mimi

Sorry to hear about your concern for Heidi - Alison's suggestion is very good, to keep a diary. It's worth also recording changes in weather patterns, also if she has had more or less exercise, as these can all be implicated.

If you can get video of her scratching and hopping, that is worth doing and maybe you want to think about taking her to see a neurologist, to get her checked out.

it's hard as many of these things are "normal" doggy things, with Syringo they tend to be done to excess.

I can recommend a good vet who knowns SM as well in Ireland, if you want to get an informed vet's opinion. Up near Dublin but if you were heading this direction at some point, it might be worth talking to her. (y) You can contact me anytime for more info.

Good luck with it all, Mimi. I have one with confirmed SM and will hopefully be taking my little one for a scan soon to see whether his symptoms are SM, too.

I think that once you've had one with SM, you are more than a little bit prone to thinking that every scratch or rub could be SM too, and that's why alison't suggestion is such a good one - after all, I think she's had more experience of SM than the rest of us too.

If your little Heidi is an SM dog then it hopefully, could be like my Maxx and only mild. He copes just fine on his Frusemide. We did have a bad weekend with him a few weeks back after an infection started it off but after some medication from the Vets he is fine again.

Have you also considered the possibility of PSOM? That also makes them scratch and their ears itch.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do but if it were me I'd want her scanned just so you know and can't stop worrying. You can also out her on medication if it is SM.

Take care :flwr:

Back