• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

marking

purplefish

firstly, thanks for your help the other day, I appreciate it ! Now I have one more question...Basil is 9 weeks old and is trained, but keeps squating and doing liitle wees on the carpet. Is he just marking his teritory? If so will this stop when he is castrated, and what can I do in the mean time?
thanks !

I think these are just wees, we always put the puppies for toilet every half hour to 45 minutes..... everytime they eat, drink, sleep or after play they may need to go.

He won;t start marking til he reaches adolescence, around 6 months-plus. When they mark, they lift their leg and spray small bits of urine to scent the area; they don;t relieve their bladder entirely.

You need to prevent him from doing this on the carpet though as every time her goes, it is one step back for housetraining. Keep him under close eye at all times and make sure he gets outside immediately after waking from a nap, first thing in am and last in pm, after playing, after meals. At his age he also need to go out about every hour to 90 min. anyway. If you catch him weeing don;t hit or scold ever, firmly say NO, scoop him up and take him to the place where he is supposed to go, then praise him for finsihing there.

The idea is to never ever let him get the idea that inside is OK by never ever letting him go inside.

I recommend Shirleee Kalstone's housetraining book as a thorough step by step guide -- most people feel it is one of the best investments they ever make in their dog. 8)

You also need to get a special scent remover for pet stains to remove the scent of where he has gone on the carpet. Ordinary household cleaners won;t break down the molecules, he will still smell the places he's gone, and dogs are conditioned to go again where they have gone before (that's why you can hasten housetraining by having one area that a puppy is taken to outside -- when he smells it is 'his place' he is a lot more likely to keep going out there. It's why it's good to always leave one poop there as well, or a bit of one, so he knows to return to that place and go.

And yes, when he is neutered it will help prevent this behaviour. Every unneutered male rescue I've had, has marked til he was neutered. :roll:

One other thought -- a 9 week puppy won;t be housetrained though may have a start to such training. It usually is at least age 6 to 9 months before they begin to be reliable and many will have occasional accidents up to about age 1. If he's weeing in the house, he isn't housetrained yet. :) Also if he keeps doing lots of small wees, this could very well be a urinary tract infection and you might have him checked if it is behaviour that is frequent and unusual. This would be typical behaviour for a UTI and dogs tend to like to go on something soft like a rug, carpetting or bedding.

I will bring you a fish and trade you for your wee lil one :flwr: :D :D :D Do ya live far away :drivecar:

they are lots of work when they are so small! Hey and no offense jeni, but I'll bring you TWO fishies to trade! hehe :p

It's a bidding war :D :D :D I'll see your two fishies and raise you two... ;) ;) ;) Wonder what kind of fish we are talking about here????

WOW! You're quite the professional gambler! hehe :) I don't know if I can manage to match that offer! hehe :) And the type? Purple fishies, of course! lol :lol:

If he's only 9 weeks old, he can't possibly be "trained" as his body isn't capable of holding his urine for more a few hours. It isn't until at least 16 weeks old that they are able to physically hold it for longer periods. Our trainer has told us the general rule of thumb is the number of months plus one in terms of how long they can generally hold it. Given this, Basil would be at about 3 hours max. Also, until he's trained, he shouldn't be allowed free-run of the house. This is just setting him up for accidents and then leading him to those spots in the future once he gets a scent off them.
We have a four month old pup, and he's getting better, but at this point if he has an accident it's more than likely our fault for giving him too much freedom or not watching him closely enough.

Jen said:
. Also, until he's trained, he shouldn't be allowed free-run of the house. This is just setting him up for accidents and then leading him to those spots in the future once he gets a scent off them. /quote]

This is good advice, Jen. I like to think of house training as an expansion of crate training. The dog should naturally not want to relieve itself in its crate. I set the crate in one room, and limit the dog's access to just that one room (an expen or a baby gate helps to block doorways/access to other areas). Eventually, the dog will expand it's "crate" to include that one room as long as it is supervised, taken out regularly, and corrected if found eliminating in the room. Once the dog is reliable with this one room--and asking to go out--expand the dog's access to include an adjoining room. As the dog includes each new room in it's non-eliminating area, it will eventually realize that all rooms in the house are just like his crate.

If you take the dog out of it's allowed space to somewhere else in the house, always taken it on a leash. You can even attach the leash to your waist so the dog has to stay with you and you can closely supervise the dog to avoid accidents.

My JoJo is 7 months old and he still isn't trianed either. I totally agree with Jen that giving them too much freedom sets them up for disaster. :yikes If JoJo is down near his doggy door, which is where his x-pen (AKA the kitchen) is... then he never has an accident. But when he is upstairs, he tends to forget that he just has to go down to the doggy door to go out... it is too far for him. My female wasn't 100% trained until she was about 15 months old. That is having free roam of the entire house and learning that the doggy door is on the other side of the house. It just takes a bunch of patience and love :lotsaluv: :lotsaluv: :lotsaluv: and in my case, the first level of my house is ceramic tile and that helps tremendously with clean up :flwr: :flwr:

purplefish said:
you can have the little sh#t factory for a pack of pepperidge farm! he is a little @#&!!

Well, you obviously don't want him anymore, so I think you should definitely give him to one of us :lol:

We don't have Pepperidge Farm in the UK but I will swap you hubby's 3 prized Koi Carp for him. In fact, you can have the whole lot of them and pond included :lol: :lol: :lol:

purplefish said:
you can have the little sh#t factory for a pack of pepperidge farm! he is a little @#&!!

Sounds like you definitely don't need a pup...good luck finding it a new home.

Hey sod it you can have my husband - he is toilet trained..... and won't make much of a mess, bets a fish anyday. icon_whistling

karlin said:
He won;t start marking til he reaches adolescence, around 6 months-plus. When they mark, they lift their leg and spray small bits of urine to scent the area; they don;t relieve their bladder entirely.

Oh, gosh. When Bono was on his teenes he marked nearly every house he got into where a dog lived. That was annoying! :yikes
But now he's just my iccleypiccley monny moo and onley marks outside :hug:

Back