• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Teething toys/chews

Jen

Gus is teething now, and his chewing has gone to another level, to say the least. We can't find anything to really satisfy him. We have the frozen Pet-Stages toys, but he grows tired of them after they unthaw a bit. Ice cubes are another favorite, but don't last long either. Nylabones don't do it for him either, he doesn't really care for them. Any ideas on what to use that will last long and that he can have unsupervised while we're at work?
Poor guy, his gums are just red and painful looking. :(

Try mayb the "Chili Bone" or mayb the "Puppy Kong" wit some pnut butter inside to get Gus's attentions... Does Gus like bully stix, flossies, or other tendon chews those might b nice for him...What did Abbey have when she was a puppy try some of the things u gave her

Kingofthehouse86 said:
Try mayb the "Chili Bone" or mayb the "Puppy Kong" wit some pnut butter inside to get Gus's attentions... Does Gus like bully stix, flossies, or other tendon chews those might b nice for him...What did Abbey have when she was a puppy try some of the things u gave her

Abbey was a rescue, we got her when she was 2. He does like the Kong, but he doesn't really chew on it--he gets the stuff out in seconds and then just ignores it. :lol: I don't think I can do bully stix, the thought of what they actually are grosses me out. :shock:
I think I may just get a femor bone, the large ones that I know he won't be able to get any pieces off of. That should keep him busy long enough.

Jen all the bully stix are beef tendons...nuttin else. the femur bone might not b good cuz if it cracks and splinters it could hurt Gus's stomach if he swallows a shard....or u kno wat we send home wit the puppies we sell is the flossies or chicken fillets...but as long as u can watch Gus wit whatever chew u give him is fine. but in my opinion dont do bones or rawhide heard too many stories bout puppies and rawhide/bones

Kingofthehouse86 said:
Jen all the bully stix are beef tendons...nuttin else. the femur bone might not b good cuz if it cracks and splinters it could hurt Gus's stomach if he swallows a shard....or u kno wat we send home wit the puppies we sell is the flossies or chicken fillets...but as long as u can watch Gus wit whatever chew u give him is fine. but in my opinion dont do bones or rawhide heard too many stories bout puppies and rawhide/bones

Bully sticks are tendons--of a particular male part that I don't care to have my dog chew, that's all. Personal choice. :)

Jen said:
Bully sticks are tendons--of a particular male part that I don't care to have my dog chew, that's all. Personal choice. :)

I totally know what you mean!! I was of the same vein, but I saw some on sale at the petstore once and figured I'd give it a try. (They didnt LOOK like what I know them to be.)

Anyway, Cedar LOVED it. It didnt last long, though, so if you're looking for something for Gus to gnaw that might keep him busy a bit, they might not be the best idea.

How do you feel about pig ears? You can buy pig ear strips, so they dont look as bad as the whole ones. Both Willow and Cedar love these, and Willow, who eats really fast, takes her time with them.

Moviedust said:
Jen said:

I totally know what you mean!! I was of the same vein, but I saw some on sale at the petstore once and figured I'd give it a try. (They didnt LOOK like what I know them to be.)

Anyway, Cedar LOVED it. It didnt last long, though, so if you're looking for something for Gus to gnaw that might keep him busy a bit, they might not be the best idea.

How do you feel about pig ears? You can buy pig ear strips, so they dont look as bad as the whole ones. Both Willow and Cedar love these, and Willow, who eats really fast, takes her time with them.

He does like pigs ears, but I'm looking for something that he can't actually eat--something to keep him occupied while we're not with him that he can't choke on, etc. I think I'll have to revisit the Nylabones and see if I can find a flavor/style that he likes. So far he hasn't been interested in them though. :roll:

Back