• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Preparing puppy for time alone

Donald Duck

We're picking Huey up tomorrow afternoon and I'm still trying to plan everything out! My husband and I work full time so I've arranged my schedule so I can go home every day in the early afternoon for 45 minutes to feed, play and let him out. We're also planning to hire a dog walker and will eventually take him to daycare when he's a little older. We plan to spend every minute with him when we are home.

But I'm so STRESSED about leaving this young puppy alone, I've read all the previous posts about separation anxiety and the fact that Cavs really need to be around people. I also know that the first few days home are already difficult for a young puppy. I don't want the first time he spends by himself to be an absolute shock. Any suggestions for how to help him prepare for his first time alone, should we start leaving him for short periods right away or should we wait? Should I start out having a dog walker every day in the morning AND coming home for lunch?

Try gettin a "Snuggle Puppy" or someother comfort toys for him...also try to come home as often as u can...that's really all i can say..will post if i can think of anything else

We leave either a tv on or music playing when Pixie is alone. A SnugglePuppy is a good idea, or really any kind of plushy toy they can cuddle with is good.

I'm guessing that since you're picking him up Friday, you'll have the weekend to help him get used to his new home. You might want to give him a little alone time (maybe an hour) Sunday.

Congratulations! We'll be waiting for pictures. ;)

Ask his breeder for a piece of bedding that smells of his Mummy or take something with you that you can rub all over Mum and the other pups to get her smell on - it really helps to settle a puppy.

Maxx was the only animal we've ever had that we did this with - he was also the only one that's ever settled immediately :D

I also leave a radio on for mine when I go out - it's usually on all day anyway :lol:

Ahhh your pup is so cute! He looks awfully young though to be alone for long periods of time. If you can get someone to come in the mornings for a walk, it would probably help him alot. Good luck with this sweety.

I bought this CD at the training center that I belong to:
http://www.caninelullabies.com/

The person who owns the training center used to be the Animal Care Supervisor at the Animal Protective League in our area. I think they use this music there. The music was originally developed for infants.

You can hear a heartbeat along with the soft music. I played it one Saturday, and all 3 dogs and I ended up on the sofa snoozing and relaxing.

Long ago (almost 3 years ago) when we had just one cavalier puppy, India, we could hardly bear to leave her alone, so within 2 months we bought our second puppy, Geordie!! :flwr:

Thanks for all the advice, Huey is doing AMAZING! We got him a Snuggle Puppy that he ADORES. I had the breeder put a sock in with his mother and siblings that we now keep in the little pouch. He has been simply perfect! Absolutely NO problems and he charms everyone that comes into his presence! He is curious about other dogs and people, loves to explore and can't get enough of the tummy rubs!

He loves to chew and makes the cutest little grunting noises whenever he plays with his favorite toys, shakes his head around like crazy! I know that many trainers advise against tug of war but he tends to lose interest in playing with his toys if we don't sort of wave his toys around him. Any suggestions?

I know many advise against this but we've always played tug-o-war with Maxx & he's the most gentle soul ever put on this Earth. Hubby always jokes that we had to teach him to growl and the only time he makes his pathetic excuse for a growl (really a slobbery, jowly noise) is when he's playing LOL

Tbh, if you are tuned in to your own dog then I think you will know the limits yourself.

Maxxs_Mummy said:
...the only time he makes his pathetic excuse for a growl (really a slobbery, jowly noise) is when he's playing LOL

Tbh, if you are tuned in to your own dog then I think you will know the limits yourself.

well said. zack is the same, the only time he growls is during tug of war, and he loves playing that game. i read a book that said don't play tug of war with your dog too, and i also read that you're not supposed to let your dog do play biting with you. I tried to follow that advice but it made me feel sad. I used to play with my dogs i had earlier in my life that way, and i had great relationships with the two that i had for a long time, they were obedient, neither one of them ever tried to dominate me. so i don't see tug of war as teaching a dog to challenge my position in the "pack," or family.

when i first got zack i was really stressed about leaving him alone while i'm at work, he is extremely sociable. I took a week off from work to be home with him in the beginning, and when i went back to work, i came home every day for lunch and spent an hour with him, hanging out and being together. i'm lucky my schedule isn't rigid and i could do that. I still go home for lunch almost every day, zack was 3 1/2 months when i first got him, and he's 8 1/2 months now. At least the cat is here when i'm not home, but she is not exactly the type to be his buddy. but they do have an evolving relationship of sorts.

i looked into getting a dog walker, and left voice maills for two of them. but they never called me back. It was expensive. I thought about day care, but i think things are OK the way they are now, now that Zack isn't confined anymore and has the run of the house while i'm gone. It was harder when i had to put him in a little crate when i left him. i work one night a week as well as my day job, and i have a friend who would come and walk Zack and take him to Yappy Hour on those nights.

Huey is such a cute name! i know you are enjoying him.

What a cutie. Love the "new baby" stories. Their little puppy sounds are the greatest aren't they? Yes I have played tug of war with my pups too and they play with each other. No problems here.

Back