• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vet Insurance

Vechkin

Hello all,

Can anyone reccomend a good dog health insurance policy? I cannot seem to get through to the companies to get what genetic defects they wont cover on cav's. Thank you in advance.

you can also look up something called vetinsurance. I think the only thing they don't cover is hip displaysia and exam fees, providing your pet is neutered/spayed before their 1st birthday. Then they cover a more limited range of things. :)

I'm pretty sure the AKC health insurance includes at least some hereditary conditions. Is that one of the ones you can't get clear information from?

I have Petcare, mainly because they cover all hereditary conditions with a few exceptions that don't include the common ones to cavaliers, and VPI, the other big one, does not cover hereditary conditions. Petcare is also less expensive than VPI, and i like it that they offer a high level of coverage--they had the most varied range of options of the plans i looked at. I'm paying a relatively high premium to have 100% coverage, no 20% copayment, after a $50 yeary deductable.

Whether they pay claims or not, i'm about to find out because Zack was sick with something that resulted in pyoderma, he's on antibiotics, the bloodtest was $187, plus the office visit, plus two other office visits at two other vets, i claimed all of them, plus medication, i don't know if they cover that. Also subcutaneous fluids. So, within a month, i ought to know whether they uphold their end of the bargain. I'll report back on that.

Moviedust said:
judy said:
I'll report back on that.

Good! I'll be interested to know what the insurance will cover from Zack's illness.

Well, in today's mail was a check for $209 and letter saying they covered $259 minus the $50 deductable. That was fast. Their check is dated 7/7. Zack got sick on 6/28, he went to the first vet on 6/30. I submitted a claim for $285 for that visit ($55 for the exam, $52 for the fluids, and $185 for the blood test) but that vet didn't send the claim form in until Monday of this week, 7/10, after they paid the claim. So i don't know if they're going to pay me any more for that bill, i'll call them monday. On 7/2, i took him to a second vet appointment because he got the skin lesions that the first vet didn't see. That was $87 ($46 for the exam and $41 for the antibiotic pills). She submitted her paperwork right away on 7/3. The third vet visit was on 7/6, and the vet faxed them her paper work on that day. That was about $140 ($50 for the exam, $93 for a different antibiotic).

OK, i see what happened. they paid everything i submitted up to the day they issued the check, so that's cool. I submitted two bills, $87 and $172, and that totals $259. I didnt expect for them to pay the whole $172 because it included two doses of Advantage, one for zack and one for Fluffy the cat. I guess they didn't look that closely at the $172 bill because it included $13.85 for Advantage for the cat. She's insured too, but that's not why the paid it--just a small oversight i guess--in my favor :D

So that is cool. The liquid antibiotics i got that they paid for cost $30 more than if i had gotten the pills and they didn't question that. Way better than my own HMO plan. :x

I'm happy with this. What remains to be seen is what they do with the first vet appointment i had for this illness which wasn't submitted by the doctor until 7/10, after the check was issued. That was the biggest bill, the $185 blood test and $52 subcutaneous fluids, plus $55 for the exam. So, we'll see what they do with that. But what they did pay sure does help. They are on my good side now. :flwr:

i hope they don't cancel me. :?

one other thing, my daughter has PetCare for Belle and they covered everything she submitted except for an exam that was done on her eyes while she was under anaesthesia being spayed, because a vet had noted an eye problem in Belle's medical records, prior to when the insurance went into effect.

Back