• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Good Indoor Diet for Dogs

Kingofthehouse86

Ok Here's the thing I'm looking for a good diet for King that is good for an inactive dog... I mean King's not totally lazy but we don't get enough exercise for him all the time...He's currently on "Beneful:Healthy Radiance" (i kno its not the best of foods but it's what he ate @ my friends b4) i wanna kinda get him off it cuz its really sh*t...also he's not fat but he does not that im looking have a little flab (but only a tiny bit)

The only formuals I could find was "Purina Little Bites Indoor Complete Dog Food" (which I'm not feeding him) and the other was "Royal Canin Indoor Adult 21"

Any suggestions cuz i dont wanna end up wit a fat lil King if he does gain some weight..

I'm thinking you could feed him a normal high quality food, but just give him a smaller amount. I feed my dogs Innova Evo, and I have to adjust the amount for each individual to avoid weight gain. My females get a little less than 1/3 cup 2x and my male gets a little more than 1/3 cup 2x. Also, I break up their biscuits and treats into smaller pieces, so I never give them a whole piece. They've been tricked into thinking they're getting more, when really they are getting less. :lol:

I currently use Wellness; it comes in a variety of flavors, but we're currently using Chicken. There's a thread around here from Karlin about the benefits of changing your dog's kibble once in a while, so if you dont like the first quality kibble you start with, there's no negative side effects to transitioning over to something new after that first bag's finished.

Also, be aware that the labels on the dog food that indicate how much you should feed the dog are on the generous side (the more you use the more you buy!). It seems that most of the cavs on this board get anywhere from 1/2 a cup to 1.5 cups depending on size and activity level.

You don;t need an indoor diet -- you'll end up paying more for fillers (that's all these diets are -- so you feed the same amount but calories are lower).

Just cut back a bit on the amount fed; find a good quality kibble, supplement with low cal treats (lots listed in the Library section).

I would never feed a diet food either. The best diet is our own hand grabbing a bit less food when poutting it into the bowl... :p

Why not feed him in a treat ball, so he gets a brain and exrcise workout while feeding himself?

As always I will offer the link to the best food and feeding advice I know of for cavaliers:

http://www.roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

In particular check out the size of the waists in her pictures, the best gauge as to whether your cavalier is getting fat.

I am going to add some waist shots here as well for reference soon.

Kingofthehouse86 said:
......He's currently on "Beneful:Healthy Radiance" (i kno its not the best of foods but it's what he ate @ my friends b4) i wanna kinda get him off it cuz its really sh*t...also he's not fat but he does not that im looking have a little flab (but only a tiny bit)

The only formuals I could find was "Purina Little Bites Indoor Complete Dog Food" (which I'm not feeding him) and the other was "Royal Canin Indoor Adult 21"

Any suggestions cuz i dont wanna end up wit a fat lil King if he does gain some weight..

There are lots of good choices to try for good quality ingredients. good for you for wanting to take some action to keep King from getting fatter and fatter. Smaller portions, more exercise, that's the way to do it. As for Purina and Beneful, those get very low ratings by the various people who rate dogfoods, like you say, it's shit, but i think they may put stuff in those dog foods that make the dogs attracted to it, i've heard they put more fat but i don't know if that's true. The thing is, I've seen dogs show a big preference for one food over another, so i'm thinking it has to do wiht the ingredients--like you and some others said the other day, your dog rejected that Prairie Natural choice or something like that.

when i see the commercials for Beneful on TV, i get the impression it's being marketed to humans--the slogans and stuff, it sounds like what humans consider to be a healthy human diet, they play up the peas and veggies. I just wonder what kind of quality the ingredients are--it it the meat products (which tend to be the least nutritious parts of the animal) that are rejected as not fit for human consumption because of being diseased, laced with antibiotics, etc? I think that's one of the things that gets a food rated low. It sure looks appealing--the commercials make me want to give it to zack. if i hadn't read some of the critical stuff about commercial dog food, i would try it. But i seriously suspect Zack might like the flavor better than the higher quality foods because of stuff they put in it.

I have several different kinds of highly rated kibble from trying them out on zack looking for one he'd be in love with, never found one, wondered if maybe i gave him the cheapest generic store brand from the supermarket, would he wolf it down, anyway, in experimenting with what i have, the one he clearly liked the best was California Natural Lamb meal and rice, but i later noticed that it was the puppy formual, i didn't realize it at first. He definitely liked it the best, but I have heard puppy formulas can be detrimental to their skeletal development, so i got the adult version of that one. Unfortunately it's a different size and shape of kibble. The puppy one was easier for him to chew.

ut, while he will eat anything i put down eventually in the course of a day when he gets hungry, recently when i tried putting a bowl of royal canine (it's either the small dog one or the indoor one) next to a bowl of adult California natural lamb meal and rice to see if it would make any difference to him, he clearly chose the California Natural. It was good to be able to see how clear of a choice it was for him. I haven't tried giving him side by side taste tests with the other brands i have because he got sick and i figured it was best to just keep him on one thing, to simplify the picture. He eats about a half a cup twice a day.

Thnx for ur input....Here's the foods I'm thinking of switching him to: "Innova Evo", "Solid Gold" (even though he was on it b4), or "Vets Choice: HOLISTIC HEALTH EXTENSION LITTLE BITES" all are equal in nurtition so its a matter of wat King likes...but what do u guys think of the Innova Evo Reduced Fat?? it has 30% less fat but 20% more protein then the original Evo...not gonna use it or wat bout the Innova Evo Red Meat

I'm not quite sure, but doesn't fat help give dogs a nice shiny coat? Innova Evo is higher in calories than some other foods, so if you give them a smaller serving it should balance out.

The place where I buy dog food is getting Innova Evo Red Meat kibble soon, so I may try it. I also just started buying the canned Innova Evo 95% Beef.

One good thing about the Evo kibble is very firm dog poop. It's like no other food!!!!!

Ok well i eliminated Solid Gold from my list...King doesn't like it, I had some samples of Solid Gold here in the house...Tried to give it to King as a treat he refused it...I also had a sample bag of EVO which King liked to I may choose EVO but i wanna try to see bout gettin a sample bag of Vets Choice Little Bits to see how King does with that..If I can't get a sample bag I may then go wit EVO which he seems to LOVE...he's actually eatin it as i type :lol: he's only gettin a few pieces so not to ruin his night...Well now he finished and went to lay down to sleep for the night...Sleep sounds good after playin...We just finished playing "Chase" a game we haven't played since he was little...I chase King around the apartment..through the living room/dining room/kitchen... :lol:

Just to let every1 kno who responded to this post King is being switched to Innova EVO this week...and off that Beneful sh*t...He just downed his food when I added a lil EVO kibble to his bowl

Back