• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

HELP!! Thrombocytopenia (low platelet issue)

Thanks, Charleen. I spoke to the female vet this morning on the phone. She was very receptive and said she had not heard of this condition in cavaliers before. She wanted to do some research through the vet schools on the cavalier platelet issue. I emailed her a bunch of links and we are going to see her tomorrow. Murphy of course is full of pep and energy this morning so she agreed we should not give him prednisolone or anything yet. I'll let you know how we make out tomorrow. Thanks!

Did Luke have his surgery today and how did it go? He is in my prayers. Please let me know.

glad to hear you have a good working relationship and communication with your other vet, and that she is reasonable and acting competent. that sounded like a sucky experience with that other guy. i sure hope murphy doesn't have anything serious. you are a great advocate for him! good luck!

Well, to everyone who helped Murphy and I so much, here's the update. First I want to THANK YOU ALL for such immediate and terrific advice and information. Thanks to you, I did not start him on the prednisolone and for that and all your emotional support, I am grateful!!! :lol: :lol:

We met with my favorite vet. She was right on the money. Gave Murphy a very thorough exam, told us that his lab work was hand counted and he has very large platelets (macrothrombocytes) and they checked his clotting factor (was fine) and so were the counts. He has no symptoms and is relatively active. She was familiar with the disease but not in cavaliers. Glad for the information you all provided too.

Therefore, after a really thorough exam, she strongly believes that he has idiopathic thrombocytopenia coupled with macrothrombocytes. She also concurred that he needs no treatment for it at this time. Also, said there is not yet a genetic marker for the condition. Gave me lots of good information including a discussion on some suspects links with MVD and/or immunizations.
His thyroid testings were in the normal range. She spent a good 30 mintues examining/going over all his symptoms. She offered some speculations as to some neurological conditions he may have (including SM) that are in line with his strange symptoms and behavior. She also discussed lymes disease and another tick born illness. Any way, we will see a neurologist in the coming weeks for a consult. I am going to check with Karlin because she mentioned an MRI cost opportunity in the next few weeks in our area.

Thanks again! You are the BEST! Murphy thanks you too because the side effects of the meds would not have been fun. Sorry this is so long.

Glad this experience was so much better and that you have some places to start from now. It must be a relief.

There will be a very low cost clinic in your vicinity probably starting around September. Unless things are very worrying I'd wait til then as it will be a fourth or so of the current price of an MRI and will include several other tests.

Karlin, boy that was quick!!! Thanks, I will watch for it! Take care and thanks again for all your help.

Back