• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How much roadsense does your cavalier have ?

fuzzie bear

When it comes to road sense, all 4 of mine just have absolutely none !!

I can't even let them off the lead down the beach cos they head straight for the road....

Cavaliers are renowned for not having any road sense...or any sense of danger at all.

I think they approach life loving everyone and everything, so can't possibly imagine any danger :D

Bless them it's a wonderful attitude, but it means we have to be aware for them!!

Our breeder would only sell us our cavaliers if we had a fenced yard and promised to never let them off lead!

Kosmo's not too road smart, however, I'm lucky because if we're walking on the sidewalk (on leash of course) and a car comes by he will watch the car but as soon as it gets close his tail goes between his legs and he runs to my feet, LOL. :roll: He's a weiner. :lol: I would never let him off leash where any cars are though.

I think it is actually bred into them -- the breed standard says they are to be fearless, and in my experience, this is what they are -- fearless in the face of what is dangerous. Neither of mine has any sense whatsoever that they would be squashed flat on the street and they would walk into the road when traffic is there when on the lead if they could.

I never used flexi-leads on city streets for this reason; they can easily pop out of your hand or not lock at the worst possible moment. And I always loop the handle of the leash around my wrist and hold the straight bit of the lead, to be extra safe.

Leo in particular would happily walk in front of a car!! :yikes

Cailean's useless, useless, useless!

Not to be trusted off lead, particularly as he's deaf and single-minded!

Cathy Moon said:
Our breeder would only sell us our cavaliers if we had a fenced yard and promised to never let them off lead!

Same here, Cathy. Maxx's breeder had us there for 3 hours making sure we were going to be good Cavalier parents :lol: Mind you, she now tells me that she knew within the first minute that we'd be fine as one of the pups had peed on the floor and I took some tissues out of my pocket and wiped it up as we all laughed that it was amazing that neither of the kids had stepped in it :lol:

karlin said:
And I always loop the handle of the leash around my wrist and hold the straight bit of the lead, to be extra safe.

Leo in particular would happily walk in front of a car!! :yikes

Me too Karlin, Maxx would too - he seems to like cars and if he ever escapes he will chase them :yikes :roll:

misty said:
Cailean's useless, useless, useless!

Not to be trusted off lead, particularly as he's deaf and single-minded!

He sounds like Maxx too :roll: he's deaf and useless too :lol: I still love him more than anything else in the whole wide World though :lol:

Charlie, on the other hand is quite brilliant. He's like Houdini and can slip his collar or harness like nothing else I've ever seen. We always make sure it's on securely too but he can move his shoulders and escape :yikes Once he's out however, he just stands there looking at me as if to say 'look, Mum! Aren't I clever?' He's never run away either. I think he's just happy to feel secure and loved :D

None at all!!! Both of mine are very good about stopping at the curb before we cross the street...if they are on leash. I would guess (would never let it happen) that offleash they would just dash!

I had heard this, but Zola is almost always off her leash when we go for walks. We've even taught her to stay until we get to the middle and then she's told "quick quick" and then she belts from one side of the road to the other. We only do this on the smaller roads around the estate however. She is always chuffed with herself when she does it, though.

I do a lot of walking with Teddy and I have taught him the words:
'Watch Out' when we are wallking to cross the street or when we need to move over to the grass on narrow roads where there are no sidewalks I say those two words and Teddy backs up and sits (most times w/out me having to give the sit command). He is never off lease outside of the yard as his cavalier-ways are to meet and greet everything and everyone because you know, it is all about HIM ;) !

Nancy
NJ

I know too many people who have lost cavaliers to the streets to allow any of mine the option to go off leash unsecured. The littermate to our boy was hit by a car not that long ago. Sandy

As far as I'm concerned they have absolutely NO street sense. That is how I lost Beatrice last October. The neighbors dogs dug a hole under our fence and off she went - out for an adventure. She was the one that ran into the car. They just don't get it. Flora and Fauna are never off leash outside of a confined area. The lower part of our fence is like a stone stockade now. You never know what will happen and, for certain, they do not look both ways.

JaneB

The little guys are fearless and always on the "chase". I would never have them in an open area without a leash....that is just me.

After Toby has had his off lead walk for about 40 minutes over the fields, I walk home along the quiet pavements and he stays close to my heels all the way to the main road (often getting admiring comments from passersby about how well behaved he is!):D

He then goes on the lead to cross and come home, but, also for his own safety from the nasty, nasty, deep and frightening drain cover in the gutter!!!
:yikes

Back