• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do you shave your cav? / sea salt?

Jen114

Kayla is feeling soo hot lately!!!! I do not want to shave her as i love her hair it is beautiful now!!!! but it is so hot... she loves swimming in the sea which is good but it is very hot for her...

Does anyone know if the salt of the sea is bad?

Maxx lalways used to run in and out of the sea and we just used to rinse him off in the garden when we got home (huge bowl of warm water and a jug LOL). We've never had any problems with his coat either :flwr:

If u wanna keep Kayla cool for the summer try this look for her..King seemed very comfortable when I got him trimmed...
171643756_d756b5a4fe_m_d.jpg

Just tell the groomer to not bother with the "slippers" :lol:
Or you can keep her ears long if you want

When I first got SianE she had a really nice cut but I decided to grow her fur but her hair became really dry and static, and she started to suffer in the heat and so I decided to shave her and the different in her was amazing. She didn’t just look like a pup but was charging round the house like a pup. She was so much more comfortable this way. I’d love to have her hair long but it doesn’t matter if she more comfortable this way.

Is there anyway you could put a small kiddies pool for Kayla to jump into if she gets too hot. I know that’s something a lot of Cocker owners do for their dogs.

in the past week the weather has gotten hot here, even in the cooler beach area where i live. It was so hot night before last, zack was panting all the time. I put an ocillating fan in the kitchen where he sleeps and put the powerful fan in the adjacent living room on high, and it made a difference, but this had never been necessary before, i turn the fan off at night and didn't have one in the kitchen.

I've been dealing with the fleas that come with the heat with nontoxic things like giving vitamin B complex three times a day (made for dogs and cats), sprinkling brewers yeast on zack, saturating the backyard with flea eating nematodes, and am preparing to use boric acid on the rug in the house.

But i think zack's thick coat is an impediment to getting rid of the fleas, it makes it hard to get the brewers yeast down to his skin, and it's harder to flea comb him. Things are going proetty well. zack is only scratching a few times a day, but as it's gotten hotter, it's more times a day, for some reason the fleas just vary with the heat. Fluffy is not scratching at all, so apparently they prefer Zack. And i'm not getting bitten at all.

So between the heat and the fleas, i'm t hinking it will be best to get zack a haircut. I'm hesitating because his coat is so soft and beautiful, but if the heat continues, i'm going to do it.

I'd like to know from anyone with experience with this, how long does it take the coat to grow back once it's been cut short? I'm planning a cut like that photo of King (which is adorable). When it grows back, does it grown back in a different way, different texture, other differences?

my first dog, Teddy, that i got as a kid, was a cocker mix with long rust colored hair. Every summer my dad got her shaved, leaving the ears long and leaving a bushy brush on the end of her long otherwise shaved tail, like a lion. She looked really cute and i'm sure she was more comfortable.

Tomorrow i'm going to get one of those little wading pools. we can both get in it, and play with the ball. Looking forward to it. i know that bathing too often can dry out the skin--does that just mean if you use shampoo, but you're OK if you just get wet in plain water?

Judy,

Maxx once went to a very over enthusiastic groomer who scalped him...

Maxx3170402-1.jpg

She left his bib and belly long and completely scalped him everywhere else. Twelve weeks later, he was at a different groomers having 5" taken off his fur!!!!

Since Maxwell has been neutered, his coat has become much thicker and fluffier. He also suffered with the heat, but could not stand the thought of shaving him. I bought a Mars Coat King #12 and used it on Maxwell. All of the fluffy undercoat came out and his long feathers remained as I did not use it farther down on his back. His ears were left alone as was his tail and feathers on his legs. Afterward, he got a bath and he was a new pup. I think it felt good to get all of the fluffy undercoat gone and he looks wonderful without getting rid of the pretty cavalier look. I wish I had done before and after pictures.

Jack is a baby and looks like a red seal. LOL So, no need to strip his coat.

I don't think sea salt is bad for their coat. You might find him getting a dry coat after awhile so I would keep a spray on conditioner on the coat after you rinse off the salt water.

Nancy :drivecar:

Maxxs_Mummy said:
Judy,

Maxx once went to a very over enthusiastic groomer who scalped him...
She left his bib and belly long and completely scalped him everywhere else. Twelve weeks later, he was at a different groomers having 5" taken off his fur!!!!

:lol: wow, great photo. "what happened to my cavalier???" well, that's reassuring to hear that the coat will grow back that soon. It will probably only be hot for about 2 more months.

notme said:
Since Maxwell has been neutered, his coat has become much thicker and fluffier. He also suffered with the heat, but could not stand the thought of shaving him. I bought a Mars Coat King #12 and used it on Maxwell. All of the fluffy undercoat came out and his long feathers remained as I did not use it farther down on his back. His ears were left alone as was his tail and feathers on his legs. Afterward, he got a bath and he was a new pup. I think it felt good to get all of the fluffy undercoat gone and he looks wonderful without getting rid of the pretty cavalier look. I wish I had done before and after pictures. :

oooh, i wish you had before and after photos too. How about just an 'after?"

now that you mention it, it's been after neutering that zack has gotten that fluffy undercoat. I just love it, love how it feels, and other people have the same reaction. my daughter's cavalier, belle, doesn't have that fluffy coat. Her coat is just awesome, all the hairs go the same way, her coat looks sleek and professionally grooomed, but it's not groomed. it just grows that way. Her tail is luxurious, and all the hairs fall down the same way. There's so much hair on her tail that it seems to weigh it down and she can't carry it high anymore, her tail is always at half mast.

I need to check and see if i have a recent photo from our 4th of July visit.

Anyway, i love zack's fluffy coat and will be sad to cut it off, but it will still be worth it, it needs to be done, it will make it easier to fight the fleas and he will be cooler.

Is a Mars Coat King #12 anything like a Furminator? I got the medium sized yellow Furminator, but hardly any fur came off. I wondered if i was using it wrong, although i did what the groomer at the store showed me. I saw that photos on their website of huge mounds of hair that came off. Only a little came off of zack on the comb, not enough to fill a quarter of a cup i don't think. Maybe i got the wrong size, they come in three sizes...?

Here's a mars coat king #12 Fine on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Mars-Coat-Kin...1555/ref=pd_bbs_3/103-8079252-8519036?ie=UTF8

I notice there are also extra fine and medium. Would fine be the right kind of blade? i see they also have coarse. Here's a #10 medium. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061MPL0/103-8079252-8519036

i remember another thread where someone said that a Furminator can ruin the coat, but i can't remember the details now. ?

Back