• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hot fur babies

blue_star

Can anyone suggest how i can keep two fur babies cool at work.

I have taken them out and hosed them down with water using a very fine mist, i have put ice cubes in their water, they are in the shade with a fan going and i am trying to keep them as still as possible.

Any ideas what else i can do as Toby is still panting away heavily.

I just read somewhere that getting them wet all over is not a good idea as the hair in the coat heats up and turns to steam on them...just cool water on their bellies to cool them down.

Ahh right ok, thanks for that.
I've sent someone out to get me a little mist bottle so i can give their tummys a spray.

This weather is nice but the dogs hate it.

You can also buy cool gel pads for them to lie on -- I've seen those before and people have said they are great!

Oh what a good idea, Karlin :D

Amy, it's been horrible here today hasn't it? Apparently one of the hottest places in the UK and all because we are down in the big dip :lol:

Tomorrow is going to be hotter!!!!!!!!

If you need anything from Wilsons or Countrywide for them then just PM me and I'll pop in and then drop it out to you.

You're doing the same as me with the ice cubes LOL I rubbed one on Maxx's belly earlier too and he loved it :lol:

Hi
Thanks Aaron (King). I love the bandana, i would be really tempted to get one although being in England this is likely to be the only summer we will get for the next 5 years as i expect we would be back to the 'old fashioned' summer which means rain. I wonder if a towel soaked in cool water would do the same job??

Donna - thanks for the offer thats so kind of you, i think we are coping at the moment. Only have one furbaby to keep cool today. Have been misting his tummy again, which really cools him down. I like the idea of ice on Maxxs tummy but i think Toby is too chicken to let me do it! :roll: Must go and make some more 'cubeys' for Tobys water.

Thanls everyone for all you suggestions

It must be hot today, Toby has no interest in eatting at the moment. Have also been spraying a fine mist of water into the flow of the fan in the office to cool the room down which seems to help.

Wow that sounds hot.....

We are used to the hot summers here in Malta so we are equiped thank goodness.. Aircon in all rooms etc... and we can not take her out at all during the day unless it is to go in the sea and when she gets out she sits in the shade.... but walks only at night it is tooo hot...

I know a few cavs with heart probs and they have to be shaved and not alowed out at all almost how sad aye!!

I put a large bath towel in some cold water, get as much out and then put it on the floor - plus they have a fan on the table blowing down on them and all my blinds are shut.....

Oooh that's a good idea, Claire. I've just been laying on the kitchen floor rubbing their bellies with more ice cubes but Maxx keeps eating them as I'm using them :roll: :lol:

I would LOVE :l*v: to know where everyone works, so that they are able to take their dogs with them??? icon_nwunsure I would LOVE to take my guys to work, but my job would never let it happen. (I work in the food industry ;) )
For those who do take your fur babies, you are very lucky... :flwr:

Jeni,

I don't work outside the home at the minute so don't need to take my dogs with me - we are home together all day long :D

jeni said:
I would LOVE :l*v: to know where everyone works, so that they are able to take their dogs with them??? icon_nwunsure I would LOVE to take my guys to work, but my job would never let it happen. (I work in the food industry ;) )
For those who do take your fur babies, you are very lucky... :flwr:
Hi Jeni,
I work in the transport industry, as long as the boys don't go into the warehouse we are ok, they stop in the offices or i take them for walkies on the field around the back of the warehouse.

Also the company i work for is family owned and the 2 dogs belong to the directors.

We have some "sendaway" mats that are cotton on top, with wadding in the middle and waterproof nylon sheeting on the back...

I soak them before we put them in the car crate, the dogs lie on top and it does help keep them cool.

IMG_0853.jpg

Mine came from here

http://petcraftproject.proboards24.com/index.cgi?board=sales

you need to watch out for them in the Flash and Grab sales, or can put in a request.

Its a bit cooler here today. The dogs are a little happier.

I took Donna's advice yesterday and rubbed ice cubes on Tobys tummy, he adored it and keeps lying on his back for me to do it again! :roll:

Sounds like it's unseasonably warm all over the world! Here in San Diego we have had unbelievable heat (for our particular area). We put a/c in the house a couple of years ago...for the dogs!!! I keep Jake's belly shaved, he's incredibly hairy and it seems to help keep him cool. I love the cooling mats. Also, I understand that wetting down their paws helps. I read something about this where there was a dog walk and it was really warm that day. They had buckets of water all along the walk to dip the dogs feet in.

Here in NY its SO HOT..the a/c keeps the house cool but now i can't really take King outside 4 very long cuz its so HOT...so we try to play a lot inside.. I've come up wit a couple of games for King that are both fun and keep him cool...

1) Is a take a regualr spray bottle w/ cold water and set it to stream...then a shot a couple shot in the air...King tries to catch some other shots just land on him back and he really enjoys it...But I'm not using the bottle like discipline...its more like rain on him :lol:

2) Another one is I block the kitchen off and put a couple of ice cubes on the floor and King goes nuts trying to catch then and eat 'em

Also wat I've done for King is take a ice cube tray and fill it will either Chicken Broth or diluted Apple Juice and make cubes from that and King loves it...So much more then regalr water ice cubes

Back