• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lily's weight check

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I am going in to the vet shortly to get Leo's prescription filled and will bring Lily to see what she weighs now. icon_nwunsure

She's done really well!

When I brought her here, she was 8 kg or 17.6 lbs (and that was already after I'd been cutting back on her food for a few days, so she probably started at about 18lbs)

After two weeks she'd dropped to 7.8 kg = 17.2 lbs

Today she was 7.2kg = 15.87 lbs

So she has lost about 2 lbs in a month, pretty good for a little cavalier.

Looking at her I am guessing her normal weight should be about 13 to 13.5 lbs so she has another kilo or so to go. She still has no waist -- from above, she looks like the fat dog on Laura Lang's feeding manual page. But she actually has a distinct chest and belly now and you can feel her ribs at least slightly!

She's lost nearly a kilo in just under four weeks, so she's taking off about 1/2 a lb a week.

I was looking for a lb/kg converter webpage and up came this:

http://www.womenrussia.com/extopfaq10.htm

:yikes

Again, Karlin, you crack me up!!!
OF COURSE I had to check out the website :lol: !

NAncy
NJ

Way to go Lily!!!! b*n*n* she's a small girl...King's 18lbs and is at perfect weight...But we all kno u can do it Lily!!!!!!

OMG Karlin, what a site :lol: :lol: :lol:

TedBear's rather in love with Viola, 25 :flwr: :yikes

Better delete this one from the history so that hubby doesn't see it!

Well that's great news about Lily, she's doing so well bless her -I'm sure she must feel heaps better too.

1/2lb a week is great, now where do we sign up to book into the Karlin Fat Camp for People :badgrin:

:lol: Yes, Lily's makeover at the K.L. Spa is coming along well - with her very own personal trainer and dietician! ;)

I weighed Lily at the vet's again today. To recap where we were:

When I brought her here, she was 8 kg or 17.6 lbs (and that was already after I'd been cutting back on her food for a few days, so she probably started at about 18lbs)

After two weeks she'd dropped to 7.8 kg = 17.2 lbs

Today she was 7.2kg = 15.87 lbs

That was on July 20th.

Today she is at 6.6kg so she has again dropped a little over half a kilo in just over three weeks, which is a good steady weight loss.

6.6 kg = 14.5lb

So she has gone from the vicinity of 18lb to14.5

She still is only just beginning to show a waist so I figure a healthy weight for her is about 12.5 to 13 lbs. She still has problems getting up onto a sofa for example due to the excess weight though she is now quite fit, getting plenty of walks. :)

At her current weight she is the same size as Leo, who is a very compact, solid dog.

A major knock on effect of the weight loss has been the enormous improvement in her breathing. You might recall she snored constantly and sounded almost like a pig when awake as she grunted and snorted so much! :shock:

She now rarely snores and it is a quiet snore, not something that brings the house down as before (I literally could hardly work with her in the same room). She also doesn't make all the constant noise when awake. This breed already has restructed breathing because of its short nose and compacted skull, so folks, do consider whether your snoring cavalier is an overweight cavalier -- it cannot be very good for them to struggle to breathe if they don't need to. Snoring of course is also quite natural in the breed for some dogs, because of the short muzzle (Leo snores from time to time too and is very fit :) ), but do keep an eye on waists and consider whether too much weight is casuing some extra breathing obstruction for your cavalier. (y)

I wish a diet would cure Willow's snoring!! Unfortunately, she's not overweight. She's just a piggy. I wake her up several times a night to get her to change positions. Works for a few minutes, then she falls asleep again. :roll:

Leo is like that sometimes. :lol: I think most cavaliers snore anyway -- but boy Lily is an example of how much worse it can become. :shock:

Now that her snoring and snorting is under control, I'm sure she is even MORE pleasant to have about the house....... icon_whistling

I actually had to tell me neighbours what all the noise was... I was afraid they would think I was hiding away some man who they never saw, but who spent most of the day sleeping and snoring... 8)

Lily sounds like she doin really great!!!...Due to the really bad weather we had here the last few weeks, King wasn't able to get as much exercise as possible so he gain a whole POUND!!!!! lol but since this week was so nice..we did a lot of playing outside (far away from the apartment) and he lost .5lb. He doesn't look any didn't from when he was 18 then to 19 then to 18.5, guess its all the fur...But since next week we are goin on vacation, King is gonna get the workout of his life...My aunt has 6 papillons and 1 mini poodle...5out6 of the papillons are very into agility so King will b running and jumping and weaving prob all week we're there...lol

Aaron you have to get some pictures of King surrounded by all those papillons and a poodle!! :lol:

I will try sometimes they move so fast their like lil white blurs...lol and the poodle isn't to fond of King he kinda stays to himself anyway...but i will try..even though it will b kinda funny watching King try to see who to play wit first... :lol:

Back