Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to groom your Cav?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you use to groom your Cav?

Im not sure that this is the right place to put this but ;

I was just wondering what everyone uses to groom their Cav.

Are there any specific grooming tools that would anyone recommend - like 'cult classics' especially for Cavaliers? (such as the grooming tool equivalent of the puppia or Kong...)

Also are there shampoos which suit Cav's the best?

Sorry for all the questions but Im really curious to know as I just use basic tools on my Cav at the moment but Im on the look-out to upgrade!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a slicker brush and I start using it when they are puppy. Not that there is anything to brush at that age, but so they can get used to me touching their entire body, legs, etc.

That way when there is long hair to brush, they lay there calmly and let me brush them. Sometimes they will avoid getting near me at night, because they know that is when I brush them, but once we get started they lay back and submit.

The later you start the brushing process, it seems to me, the more the dog squirms. I started one at 5 months and one at 3 months and the one that I started early is easier for me to brush even now that she is 2 years old. My dog that I got when he is 3.5 yrs old is the hardest to brush, because he isn't used to it and doesn't like me to do it.
    Charleen and Cav's: Pippin (ruby male), Merry (b&t female), Luke (blenheim male) & Jolly (tri male puppy)

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what u wanna do...do u want to kno the tools for brushing or tools for actually clipping his fur???

For brushing/clipping-nails King I have:
    -A slicker brush
    -A horsehair bristle brush
    -A metal comb for detangling
    -A toe-nail clipper (I like the scissor type, use wat u for comfortable with)

For bathing him:
    -A tearless dog shampoo (baby-powder scented but use wat u like)
    -A light conditioner (helps keep fur from tangeling)
    -A whitner shampoo (King is more white so i use it to brighten him up)

For clipping hair:
    -A standard clipper from "Andis" wit the combs
    -A small handheld clipper for the small areas like the feet/pads
    -A pair of hair trimming scissors
    -A pair of Thinning Shears to even out his feathering

I also have a toothbrush/toothpaste for cleaning his teeth...Ear cleaner for his ears...also a colone to make him smell "MANLY"

But u dont need to go all out like it did i got all that so not to have to bring him to the groomers every couple of weeks to get his hair between his pads trimmed of his belly trimmed so I do the small things myself but the bigger jobs i bring him to the groomers..
    Aaron, King and the rest of family
    living in NY

Post Thanks / Like

OMG Aaron, I thought I was bad but you are WORSE!!!!

Maxx and Charlie have a Mikki ball pin slicker brush (brilliant as they don't scratch).

A fine comb and a finer face comb (both metal) that is excellent for getting through the fur on the long ears.

A regular two sided brush that I use the bristle side of to brush down to finish off and just remove and dead fur.

A pair of guillotine nail clippers and a pair of very fine sharp scissors with rounded ends that I use to trim any knots away and also the fur on the bottoms of feet etc.

Maxx has baby powder shampoo and whitener shampoo (also makes the black in his coat very glossy) & a baby powder grooming spray.

Charlie has Malaseb

We also have Epi Otic ear cleaner from the Vets that we use once a week to prevent problems.

When they are shedding their coats madly I also don a pair of marigolds and rub them down twice a day - amazing for getting rid of the dead fur and they think they're getting a fuss

Post Thanks / Like

That brings a whole new meaning to the saying 'pampered pooch'!!!
    But how cute- Cologne for dogs, awwww I love it

I would never attempt to clip Mim myself- I can just imagine the disaster. Im just interested in the brushes and shampoo side of grooming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxs_Mummy

Charlie has Malaseb

When they are shedding their coats madly I also don a pair of marigolds and rub them down twice a day - amazing for getting rid of the dead fur and they think they're getting a fuss
    What is Malaseb, and what are Marigolds? I'm still new to all of this....
    Jenni, Scott, Corgan (blenheim), Celti (Corgi-mix), and Luna (kitty)

Post Thanks / Like

well marigolds are yellow rubber gloves- the ones that you would usually use for washing the dishes.

Not sure about the other thing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

merlin has :

pin brish first, moveable teeth comb second and thn a human nit comb last - this seems to get te stray hairs out that the other two dont which seem to be the cause of nots.

he has a shower (has to be warm!) once a month which I use crazy dog baby powder shampoo ( the very berry one irritates his skin) and then pantene ice shine conditioner. I also put charles wothington leave in conditioner on hi tail as his hair seems dry on his tail.

In between times he has a wipe over with asda non fragranced baby wipes and he has the softest fur I've felt
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

Malaseb is special shampoo from the vet as Charlie has sore skin at the minute

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a couple of slicker brushes, some that are pins, and some that have the tipped ends. Jaspar HATES the slicker but I need to use it for some mats but not touching his skin. My favourite slicker is actually a really small one I got in a very cheap cat litter and cat toy package deal at Lidl! The brush is about 2.5 inches by 2.5 inches and is just the right size for ears and mats.

I have a comb that I almost never use, and a rake comb (ditto), a small blunt scissors for hair between pads.

The brush I use most is a Mason Pearson that was expensive but all the dogs like it; even Jaspar doesn't detest it.

I started brushing Jaspar with a soft brush from puppyhood and he was fine with the soft brush. But almost every other type of brush he hates; unfortunately he's the one that mats the most with his fine hair. I mostly use the tipped slicker brush, the tiny slicker, and the Mason pearson on him.

I also have a mat cutter which is really useful.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com