Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you use to groom your Cav?

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely love my mason pearson brush! So do the dogs...I have to get a picture of them laying there getting brushed. As I'm brushing Jake (I do him first) Shelby sits there waiting until he moves...then she flops down on her side and hold up her one leg...me next me next!! I also use a metal comb for knots. I like petsilk or Chris Christensen shampoos. I bathe once a month and the groomer does them once a month. I don't dare clip nails...too chicken!!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite tool for removing knots is an Original Greyhound comb. You can use the ends to pull through the knots and it doesn't hurt them. I also keep the comb in my purse in case we are out and I find a knot or a tangle. (OK it is weird I dont' have a comb for me in there??)

I also use a Mason Pearson nylon and boar bristle pocket brush for just nice gentle brushing that makes my babies shiney.

I also have a #1 All Systems slicker.

Last but not least I use a Mars Coat King or Mars stripping knife to thin Maxwell's thick (neutered male) coat. He goes from fluffy puppy to handsome cavalier after using those.

Nancy

Post Thanks / Like

This is great, thanks for all the feed back everyone!

Its really useful to know what tools other people find the best as it saves on having to buy loads of products on a trial and error basis.

Im going to check them all out, especially the mason pearson brush.

And to Maxx's Mummy- I really hope that little charlie is feeling better soon, there's nothing worse than a poorly fur baby. x

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Mason Pearsons are really expensive but they are very nice. I don't have one for me but I have one for the dogs! I keep meaning to buy one for me as well. Often they have them at dog shows.

Leo used to not like being groomed but of late as soon as the brush comes out he starts trying to move in front of whatever other dog I am brushing so that I'll do him instead. Jaspar does the same when I am blow-drying another dog -- he loves standing in the heat from the dryer -- well not at the moment I guess with all the hot weather.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the mason pearson was expensive I've had mine for about two years now and it has completely paid for itself at this point. Considering I was use at least 5 x week!!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Mason Pearson brushes are the very best....my last one cost me £45!!!
    they last a life time and are invaluable for my Shelties. I found an on-line shop that sold them in the U.K. Will try to find the address again.

We also bought a hands free dryer and grooming table (xmas gift from the hubby!!!) both items are just invaluable and it saves the old back!

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Post Thanks / Like

found the address if any one is interested in the brushes,

this shop is fab!

www.dezynadog.co.uk

Happy shopping!

Alison, Wilts, U.K.