• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

HAIR IN EYES!!!!

Jen114

Kayla always manages to get hairs in her eyes almost everyday there is like a hair sitting in the middle of one of her eyes it must be so annoying does this happen to any of your cavs... how do you clean IN the eye?

I usually get a big pad of cotton wool and soak it in either boiled (cool) water or optrex eye bath and then just hold it over their eyes and wipe gently (not pressing at all :yikes ) from the inside out.

If you watch carefully, they usually form a goo (eye snot :lol: ) around the hair anyway and then it goes to the inside corner of the eye and you can easily wipe it away :D

This stuff though is in the middle of the eye like where she would be looking out from... she gets the eye snot too :yuk: and i normally whip that off a few times a day or eye bath her too.....

can you wash the inside of her eye with drops or something?

Just try and do as I said above with the cotton wool and optrex or water - i mean really soak the pad and it should move it.

Refresh Tears eyedrops can also help clean the eyes. I also do the cotton ball thing like Maxxs_Mummy, throughly soak a cotton ball with sterile saline solution and very gently wipe the eyes.

How about a little dropper?

I used one with Honey to keep her eyes moist with the dry eye, she was happy to sit and let me put drops in, try boiled cooled/warm water in the dropper. then wipe clean with damp cotton pads.

I sat her on a kitchen chair facing away from me and stood behind her, then I cupped her chin in my hand and gently tilted her head upwards and put the drops in, she was comfortable and safe without the wriggles in this position, and then she enjoyed the meaty chunk treat/ reward afterwards!

Alison, wilts, U.K.

about your question as to whether it's annoying to them when they have things in their eyes, i've wondered about that. Sometimes I see something in a dog's eye and they don't show any sign of irritation like blinking, or rubbing with the paw, or anything. I've wondered if they don't have as much sensitivity in the eye as people do.

for myself, when i have something irritating my eye, or if t here's a foreign body that i can't rub out, i use an eye cup and wash with boric acid solution. It pretty much always works, and feels good. I haven't tried it on zack. The only thing i've ever tried for his eyes was to give probiotics once a day when i expected yeast.

I accidentally got some fine dust of nutritional yeast i his eyes the other day and he didn't seem to notice. He loves that yeast and was just focused on whether i would give him any to eat. It disappeared almost immediately.

I use cold filtered water on sterile cotton wool to wipe their eyes every day , thats only if Nifa hasnt already cleaned them herself on my trousers or new skirt etc. . The hairs dont seem to bother them as much as we feel it should , I know I couldnt go longer than afew seconds with an eyelash in my eye.
Mimi

Back