• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Therapy dogs

edel

I was wondering does anyone know if there are therapy dogs in Ireland and if so how do you train your dog to be one. I know in the US there are organisations that certify the dogs but i havent heard about anything on this side of the pond.

I would love to do that with Lady, i think she would make a great therapy dog. *ng*l :lotsaluv: :hug:

I thought that they would provide some training as well. Lady is rather boisterous and would be all over everyone. The only training class that i found for her was one where i did not agree with their methods.

What should i do? I would love her to take part in this but she is too hyper for it at the moment

Here is the link to the Therapy Dog Internaltional Test:
http://www.tdi-dog.org/tditesting.html

I took my dogs to regular obedience training (based on positive / reward) and when I had them tested for TDI they just passed! The certified TDI tester said any dog with the right temperament usually passes! So I don't think you need to train them specifically for therapy. :flwr:

I don;t know if anyone in Ireland trains dogs for therapy; I don't think the set up is that formal here. In general very young dogs tend to be too bpisterous, and not all dogs will make good therapy dogs. In general you want to start with a well-trained, calm dog. If Lady hasn;t done at least one good, positive-method, rewards-based training class, you should start there. Dogs learn much self-control and polite behaviour through basic obedience.

Neither Leo nor Jaspar would be acceptable therapy dogs -- but Lily no doubt would be.

Tara and Lisa might have a recommendation for training in the Cork area.

Be aware that as far as I know, you really need to make a weekly commitment if you want to do therapy work with a dog. If you contact PEATA they can tell you more and also tell you if there is training for doing therapy.

Back