• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Humping

Hope I have put this in the right place.
My Charlie is 4 mths old (born 17/03/06). He is getting 'over friendly' with his stuffed toys.
I thought he wouldn't do this as he is still a baby. Is this normal for a 4 mth old dog?

Hi. I believe it is normal, or natural, behavior, even at young ages. my boy zack was doing it at 4 months, and i've seen others, not to toys but to other dogs (and our cat).

I've heard that this is not necessarily sexual behavior at al, but assertion of social dominance, and after hearing that, i observed the behavior in various dogs in that framework and can see how it makes sense.

i've noticed that most owners (that i have observed)(including me) intervene to curb the behavior. zack was taught not to do it from the beginning--I'm talking about with other dogs, while i know you are talking about him humping toys, but i'll bet what you are seeing is him trying to show the toy who is boss, and to savor his power over it. Zack has not humped toys, but he sure does engage in other dominance/murderous behavior toward them.

:badgrin:

It is normal behaviour. It also isn't sexual, as Judy notes. However in a puppy this young it isn't dominance behaviour either -- that's an adult behaviour -- just like playing, it's simply a puppy trying out actions it will need and use as an adult. As most people find this behaviour undesireable, simply refocus the pup's attention on some behaviour that is acceptable -- eg gently say 'no' and distract the puppy with something like a nylabone. Praise when it shifts focus to the new object and stops the humping.

Neutering stops this behaviour completely the majority of the time, especially in males.

I have an unneutered female of between 1 and 2 who humps pillows -- she just seems to think it is fun. :roll:

LMAO Karlin, I can just imagine Lily humping a pillow :lol:

Maxx stole a stuffed toy pig of mine when he was a puppy and he used to hump it all the time. It was so funny as he used to hump it so hard that he'd snort and then do a head over heels. Then he'd sit up and look at us as if to say 'Why did you do that to me?' :lol: :lol: :lol:

He was neutered at six months (not out of choice) and it stopped overnight - we missed the laughs it gave us :badgrin:

I am still trying to catch up with the new topics, just had to look at this one called humping, and to say Ozzy was outside the other day having a long long wee (due to his tablets) and Woody was running around in circles and them jumped on him and started to hump away - his front legs cleared the wee stream, I must admit I stared for a few seconds had a laugh then thoughted I better stop it - Woody got off and Oz was still wee'ing - was so funny had to phone Darren up....what a weirdo my Woody is. icon_whistling

Such funny stories!! I can relate with you Maxx's Mummy!! We gave Bailey some doggy teddies when he was a puppy to keep him company and also to keep him warm in his bed - when he started to hump he used to pick one of his teddies and go at it - I think they all got a turn and he never left any of them out!!
:lotsaluv:
It was funny to watch when he used to fall over and then look all upset with you thinking you had done something to cause this - just because i was giggling so much!!
:rotfl:

Having said this he never humped anything or anyone else or even attempted to, he was happy with his choice of teddies!! :lol:

We have a stuffed toy called the dude and Twinkle was humping him all last week - she was in heat though. I have to say it was funny and disturbing at the same time. The poor dude gets the brunt of everything :lol:

Cedar has always humped, even after being spayed, but only on certain things. Froggie is her hump toy. When she was little, she used to hump her piggy. So when she outgrew that, Froggie got the role and has had it ever since. I've never seen her hump anything else, but she enjoys humping Froggie a lot!! Froggie is her favorite for everything. :roll:

My father HATES it when Cedar humps--he thinks it is a deviant sexual behavior that shouldnt been seen much less discussed! I dont care, myself. Hump away, I say, and have a good time!

Back