• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Games?

Sunna

Hihi :) I was just wondering if someone here could tell me about some fun game for me and my dogs? Fjalar loves to run after a ball, stick or other toys but Molder think it's a stupid game :lol: They both like it very much when I let them stay in some room while I go out of it to hide some pieces of cheese, dried fish or something good. Then I say to them "find" and they love to use the nose to search. I am also thinking about trying to make agility toys to have in the garden, they like to jump over hindrances as I make with sticks or other stuff.
If you know about other fun games, please tell me ;)

Kosmo and I have a ball playing hide and seek. Someone on this board suggested it to me. We also make games out of training.. (such as sit stays) He likes Tug (what dog doesnt?) and we also play fun games at dog school. :) Don't know how into that you are, but it is a lot of fun for the both of us :) Good Luck!

Thanks for that! :) We haven't go to a dog school before but maybe we will sometime ;)

Why don't you try a few small jumps in the garden and a play tunnel for them to run through? find a small agility club... they will love you for that!

Mine love hide and seek with treats under flower pots, and learning simple tricks! twisting (right twist) twirling (left twist) weaving through legs etc. make it up as you go along and have fun!

Using the grey brain matter tires them out better than a long walk, good to remember if you can't get out.

My Shelties unload the washing machine and dryer!!! and even carry the hoover attachments up/down the stairs! ..if I return home from being out and someone has rang she lets me know by barking by the telephone....everytime there is a munber awaiting...excellent home security system!!

a typical pastoral nature I guess...

Alison, wilts, U.K.

Gosh some fun ideas on this thread. I want to do some clicker classes as well as I'd like to do freeform clicking with Jaspar, where you keep changing the goal for the dog as they achieve the task. Basically it keeps them constantly thinking and figuring things out and is very challenging and fun for them. But it is advanced level clicker work and I need to do clicker basics first!!

We really like the clicker training. It's working nicely for our Corgi, and we'll be trying it starting Saturday with Corgan, too! :) We think he'll do well with it!

"Hunting"

Find a sports bag - the type men, in particular, put their sports gear in while training.

"Prep"/psyche up your dog by waving a few treats in front of its face.

Put the treats into the sports bag.

Zip up the bag, leaving a 4-inch aperture at one end (start with a larger aperture, and gradually reduce, to make the game increasingly difficult).

Tilt the bag, so that the treats fall down to the opposite side of the aperture.

Fling the bag on the floor - it psyches up the dog!

Dog should then go scrambling the bag and find treats.

Repeat 9 times.

My cocker LOVES this game, and my cavalier has got hooked as a result of the cocker's interest.

Toilet rolls.

Put a few tiny treats into a toilet roll, or kitchen roll. Squeeze either end of the roll, and twist (so that it looks like a Christmas cracker). Fling the roll on the floor (it psyches dog up!) and dog should hunt for the treats within.

Back