• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I need a pep talk!

That no bite spray is an excellent idea for the kids hands - you could use it on their ankles too.

I also used the word, or noise 'Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh' like a deep growl when Maxx did anything I didn't like. It mimics the noise made by the mother dog when she is chastising the pups. Doesn't hurt them but they stand back and cock their heads as if to say 'Hmmmmm, naughty!' :lol:

DeAnna - I feel for you! You sound so frustrated. All kinds of great advice above. I also think Angela is sooo right about some of us forgetting about how difficult our puppies were. I was reading your post and feeling bad for you and my "negative" memories came flooding back! After two weeks my husband came home from work to find me in tears. I felt I had made a huge mistake in getting Jake. He frustrated the heck out of me....biting, crying, and on and on and on. I was just at my wit's end. Now I have two of them! So things do get better. I don't have any experience with the kids and dogs but what has been suggested sounds like sound advice.

Remember...this is a great place to vent....we can relate to what you are feeling and no on thinks the worse of you for it! :)

Please keep us posted on how things go. Best of luck to you as well.

Ahh I just had the longest post ever typed out and Mr. BusyPants decided to jump up and put his paw on my lap top. He touched somehow the select all and delete key! grr :( OK so for the second time . . . I am sorry with what you're dealing with . Having a young puppy can be a terror, but it also brings so much fun to your life! Ours just turned 6 months old this past week and he's still hyper and wants to play all the time, but he doesn't nip anymore. THe only teeth he has left to shed are his fang teeth though so he's pretty much done with all of his teething. I can tell you that around the stage you're at now (3 months) was the height of his nipping and biting. It really helped for us to take him to doggy obedience school. I don't know what you have available there but we used PetSmart which was very well priced and 100% guaranteed. They also only use positive reinforcement training methods. Every single person in our class (7 of us) had the same exact problem as you are having. My trainer suggested 2 ways to our class to deal with this. The first one is that when they bite at you say NO! and spray them in the face with some water. We tried that with ours but he ended up liking water. . :oops: The second method is to take an empty pop can, put some pennies in it, tape up the top and squish it. Then you say NO and shake it loudly whenever they do something wrong. This scares them and makes them stop whatever they are doing immediately.

That second method has worked with us for both nipping and jumping. Good luck with your pup and I'm sorry about your negative experience.

arasara said:
My trainer suggested 2 ways to our class to deal with this. The first one is that when they bite at you say NO! and spray them in the face with some water. We tried that with ours but he ended up liking water. . :oops: The second method is to take an empty pop can, put some pennies in it, tape up the top and squish it. Then you say NO and shake it loudly whenever they do something wrong. This scares them and makes them stop whatever they are doing immediately.

These two methods are not considered to be positive reinforcement / reward based training methods!

Cathy Moon said:
arasara said:
My trainer suggested 2 ways to our class to deal with this. The first one is that when they bite at you say NO! and spray them in the face with some water. We tried that with ours but he ended up liking water. . :oops: The second method is to take an empty pop can, put some pennies in it, tape up the top and squish it. Then you say NO and shake it loudly whenever they do something wrong. This scares them and makes them stop whatever they are doing immediately.

These two methods are not considered to be positive reinforcement / reward based training methods!

Cathy is right-- a shaker can, which is often suggested to use (even our puppy class trainer has suggested it) works by scaring the dog. The scare is a distraction, and it often gets the dog to stop barking/biting, etc. I have seen it "work" to adjusting the dogs behavior to the point whenever someone reached for the can the dog stopped. This is the same philosophy my father used with his "dont make me stop this car" or the "dont make me come over there!" threats. I behaved, but it didnt really help my relationship with my father!! I've also seen the can have negative consequences when used with nervous dogs. Once, I saw it used in a class with an unruly dog who wouldnt stop barking. It got the barking dog to stop, but another dog on the class was so scared by it that it didnt want to go into the training building!! They had to have special training time in the building to overcome the fears that can started with just one shake.

You can use the same technique as the can's distraction but in a positive way by distracting the dog with something the dog LIKES. A special toy or a treat works. Get the dogs attention by showing the dog the toy/treat. When the negative behavior stops (and I generally include a sit command, even with a very young pup) and the dog is calm and well behaved, s/he gets the fun stuff. Just like with reaching for the can, as soon as the dog sees you reach for the treat/toy, the negative behavior stops, but instead of being afraid of you, you're a great wonderful person who has the fun stuff!!

I know exactly how you feel. 15 years ago I had the puppy from Hell...no meant nothing, and nothing worked on her. She was a Lhasa puppy. Cavaliers are usually much easier but it sounds like you have a strong personality on your hands. A good rule, is that a tired dog is a good dog. Find something she likes to do and exhaust her, ie , throwing toys outside if it isn't too hot, really anything outside tends to make them run around. Then you can really work on not biting when she's tired. Don't use the xpen or crate as punishment, but merely a good place to be. I tried to get my breeder to take that puppy back, she wouldn't. Miraculously, she turned into the best little Lhasa anyone ever met. It was time more than anything. Puppies are really exhausting. People who know me, are surprised I just got another one, but I was assured he was an exceptionally nice , easy puppy and he is. Sometimes people are better off finding older puppies or young adults.

DeAnna, I am so sorry that you are having a rough time with your new puppy. I have had two new cavaliers in less than two years and I understand your frustration. However, that being said, I think your expectations are high of a twelve week old pup. Our first cavalier was also ten weeks old when we got him. His energy level far exceeded ours. I think your small children are seen by the puppy as litter mates and your pup is attacking in play like she would with her litter friends. Both or our cavaliers would lunge at socks, strings and straps hanging off the table. (My new camera hit the floor this morning because the strap was hanging off the table) When our baby cavaliers would get rough, we would YELP like a litter mate puppy would do. He would immediately let go. We would ignore him after he made us yelp. It took awhile to get him to understand that when we yelped, the fun was over.

A puppy at twelve weeks needs a play pen. I bought an X pen and put Jack's and Max's toys and his crate inside the X pen. When I got tired of the attacks, I would put the puppy in his X pen where he could see me and make him stay there. His food also was given to him in his X pen. We kept our X pen in the family room and gave the puppy access to the doggy door when he was older from his little play area. When the puppy was calm and we were ready to play with him, we would take him out and play and let him tire and fall asleep with us snuggling. When he woke up, he went outside and then back in the X pen with a C.E.T. chew or nylabone. There is no reason your small children should have to put up with being attacked in play by a loose puppy.

Your expectations seem very high DeAnna. Your puppy is twelve weeks old and you are trying to train to sit, roll over and other dog tricks. A puppy at twelve weeks really should be allowed to be a puppy and the other things can come just a bit later. One thing at a time. Potty trainng and "no bite" should be your focus and forget the treats for sitting and staying. Treat for good potty behavior and keep it simple right now.

Pick two things to work on right now. Potty outside and no biting. That is all. If you yell at the puppy he sees it as barking. He may view it as barking in play. Yelping is what dogs do when they hurt each other. A high pitched yelp will get her attention. Puppies are not vindictive. She is not coming in the house and pottying on the floor in front of you to be bad. We had a similar issue with Maxwell. We would take him outside.....stand there for fifteen minutes trying to encourage him to go. It was February and cold and we wanted to be in the house, but Maxwell wanted to be outside. Finally we would get so cold we would pick up Maxwell and go in the house frustrated that he hadn't gone potty and then he would pee right in front of us. We finally figured out that he was "holding it" outside because he knew if he pee'd, we would quickly pick him up and run inside. He wanted to be outside. In his eyes, peeing brought negative results. We changed the process. We started taking Maxwell out and waited and waited. When he finally couldn't stand it, he would pee, we would treat him and tell him what a good boy he was, then we would stand there and let him play outside while we froze. He didn't feel like he was being punnished for peeing outside anymore and the problem was solved.

You need to try to think like a dog. Many times we view little puppies as babies and forget they are dogs. A book that I bought was my saving grace while training both my boys. "Puppies for Dummies" This book did wonders in helping us understand "dog" behavior. Your puppy sounds healthy and active and right now very frustrating. My guess is your puppy has too much freedom and your expectations of a twelve week old puppy is high.

Talk to your breeder. Tell her your frustrations and see if she has some suggestions. It could be this little high energy girl is not a good fit for your family. If she isn't a good personality fit, your breeder will take her back and I am sure find a better fit puppy for you. Our boys are extremely differnt. Maxwell quiet and sensitive, Jack is our crazy wild puppy that is smart and high energy.

I hope it all works out for you. Puppies stay puppies such a short time. If you handle things right, it sounds as if you will have a very smart, fun and well trained pup. GET AN X pen and have some peace!!! Puppies need boundries and you need some rest.

Nancy

Maxxs_Mummy said:
...I also used the word, or noise 'Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh' like a deep growl when Maxx did anything I didn't like. It mimics the noise made by the mother dog when she is chastising the pups. Doesn't hurt them but they stand back and cock their heads as if to say 'Hmmmmm, naughty!' :lol:

This was the mainstay of my working with zack to redirect behaviors, whatever it was, chewing on my shoe instead of his toy, charging the cat, licking the cat's but, biting my hand, the list goes on. I had read this in a book. the book said to use 'nhaaaaa' but it's the same thing. I had read the book before i brought zack home, so i used it from the beginning. I was quite surprised at how immediately responsive he was to it. I did not expect it to work the way it did. I could say it at a very low volume, i could even say it with a certain warm tongue in cheek tone of voice because the unacceptable behavior was a bit amusing, or he was just so cute, yet, when he heard that growl, he stopped. amazing. Saying the word 'no' did not have that effect. I don't know why it worked so consistently and so decisively. It provided me with a gentle effective way of using my words/voice to manage his behavior. One of the most amazing things was that the growl could be used one time, and he would never do the behavior again! he would never chew that wire again, would never chew my shoe again, would never bite my hand again. There were occasional exceptions, lunging at the cat exuberantly was one. But generally, he would simply give up the behavior that got the "nhaaaa." I was amazed. It seemed too good to be true. i'm very grateful that i had stumbled onto this method. It was not something that caused him to be afraid of me, or which discouraged him from being curious and exploring. It just communicated to him what he needed to know, what was ok and what was not.

Biting my hands was a case in point. I kind of laugh about this example because my own ambivalence about it resulted in mixed messages to zack, and changing policies, which he good naturedly went along with. When i first got him, i was happy to let him bite on my hands, he wasn't a very hard biter, and i'd done this with my other dogs, years ago, and it was fun, to me it was a way of bonding, i'd play with him in a gentle 'rough' way, and he'd bite--he would initiate this, it was the same way he played with other puppies. and i wuold do it to entertain him, it made him very happy, smiling, 'laughing,' and i had never thought of it as a problem. but then, the book i was reading, the one wiht 'nhaaaa,' said that this 'mouthing' shoujld never never never be allowed, and that it was very bad for the relationship between dog and ownder. it wasn't really explained why it was bad. it was assumed to be self evident. I had gotten valuable advice from the book, so i changed my ways with zack and stopped encouraging his play biting on my hands, and when he did it, i softly said 'nhaaaa.' and he looked puzzled and mildly disappointed, but he stopped. after a couple of times, he no longer tried to do it, he would just lick and lay on his back in my arms to be petted, where he used to bite and invite me to play.

this made me sad. :-(

after a while, i decided i wanted to trust my gut feeling that his play biting really wasn't a problem, i didn't understand how it was a problem, it wasn't like he was biting all the time. It was just a play thing, like playing tug of war. so, i started inviting him to play in that way again. and we were both happy doing it.

Then my daughter, age 22 at the time, and her cavalier belle, came to visit for a weekend. i have always been a tomboy, i played with boys a lot, and mimicked the culture of boys who were "rough and tumble", where you don't cry when you skin your knee and you wrestle on the lawn. my daughter was the opposite. So when zack was laying in her lap on his back, and he started play biting with her, the way he does with me, at some point, i heard her complaining about it, "ouch," that hurts, and at first i didn't think anything of it. I didn't think he bites hard--true, if you let him, it can get more hard, but the manner of play involves, on my end, moving my hands in such a way that i don't get hurt. but maybe once in a while, a tooth will hurt a little. i just never minded it. but then, i began to understand that for Lisa, it really hurt and wasn't fun, she didn't like to play in that way, so she was just the passive recipient of being bitten. belle also liked play biting, but Lisa didn't do it with her. Her boyfriend Joe did it with her sometimes and i did. but belle and zack had a great time play biting each other for the whole day.

Anyway, that was when i realized the reason for teaching the dog not to do play biting on peoples' hands. Some people may like it (it was my dad who role modelled it for me with my first dog) but many people will not like it, and those people can get hurt. Lisa cried out and then said zack had actually made a mark on her arm with his teeth. She said it was an accident, he didn't mean to hurt her, he was just playing, but it hurt.

So, i told just her not to let him doing it anymore, tell him 'nhaaaa' and stop him, and after that, i discouraged him from doing it with me--and he complied. He always understood 'nhaaa.'

zack has been so cooperative about that. He's like , "whatever you want me to do , i'll go along with it. feel free to change your mind when you want." he never acted confused.

The way it is now, i still do the play with him and he has learned how to do it in a gentle way, no more accidental hurting someone, he bites very softly and he tries to miss your hand or your skin, he gives a wide birth, and he doesn't bite down with his teeth. so we've worked it out where it's an innocuous thing now. When he was a younger puppy, he could only learn from experience, he wasn't born knowing how hard was too hard.

when i was a kid, i remember my dad doing it with Teddy and i remember watching him, and he would say to Teddy, "Too hard, too hard," and pull his hand back, and then he would go back to playing, and Teddy learned to play gently.

i had a dog that bit my ear once and i had to go to the emergency room and i still have a scar, it was right after Teddy died when i was 14 and we got another puppy, Darin. Darin just got wild and was jumping through the air with his jaws flapping, and i was sitting on the grass crosslegged, and his mouth caught my ear, he didn't mean to, it wasn't more like he didn't know what he was doing.

The woman i got Zack from told me I could try him for three weeks and if it didn't work out, i could have a full refund. She also indicated it wasn't a rigid three weeks,, it could be a little longer, but she just implied that i could have enough time to be sure it was right, that he was the right dog, or that having a dog would work for me. She understood i live in an apartment and can't have barking, and she knew about my cat. When i talked about these things, this was actually before i met zack and was considering another puppy, that's when she said i could take three weeks, she wrote it in an email, and we talked about it too. She said she wanted me to be happy with the dog. And her contract requests that if i cant' keep the dog that she be given first choice to have him back.

I have never understood why some believe when a pup bites that you should act hurt and walk away-- It sounds like an Omega thing to do--- An Alpha would make some negative sound that would upset the pup-- shake can whatever. I haven't had a pup with a human biting issue. I had one larger male pup that would hurt his much smaller littermate. When she squeeked (like the omega-- and run away-- he'd come back to do it again). I would hold his mussle closed and growl. Pretty soon all I had to do is growl and he'd stop. JMO- Sandy

Two other thoughts:

You said this

My 5 year old daughter (who adores dogs and has dreamed about nothing but getting a dog for the last year) said this morning "Why can't we just get rid of her? It was so calm before we had her!" I've explained her biting and scratching away as being puppy play so many times that I feel like my kids think I'm always siding with her over them.

This is a key thing about getting a dog when there are kids. Kids have a totally rosy picture of what having a dog is like -- and puppies and kittens both bite, scratch and need constant care from the adults, not the kids, with kids only having careful time with such young animals. The reality is that 95% of the work with a puppy will fall to the adults, and a child this young should maybe have several opprtunities a day to sit Indian style on the floor and play with the puppy for a 10 or 15 minute stretch, but otherwise children and puppy need separate safe places at these ages. :) This makes the puppy interactions happy, not stressful.

Second, I do strongly agree with others that 12 weeks really is very young to be trying to get a puppy to lie down and roll over -- all this extra activity may in itself prove very frustrating to her and be causing some of this unwanted behaviour, when she just has had enough (just like a child having a tantrum or getting gidy and silly when you keep trying to make a child focus on something a bit tedious like homework or cleaning a room, beyond his or her attention span). In general, puppy training should only be simple and fun til they pass 5-6 months -- they simply do not have the patience or memory to do anything very complex. No training sessions more than 5 minutes, no more than 2-3 times a day, max. No stays, downstays, or complex things like rollovers (that;s more the kind of thing to teach after the dog is an adult). Teaching a tiny pup to rollover is like trying to make a two year old read -- it is just so very hard for them and frustrating to not be able to do correctly what you keep asking them to do. I'd recommend instead just focusing as noted on housetraining and no biting, and do a *fun* puppy training class in a month or two, if there's one in your area. :)

By the way I have lots of info on kids and puppies/dogs in the Library section -- did you look there for some help, too?

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1107

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1603

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1101

I really recommend all the articles on the diamondsintheruff site.

Though they are sometimes recommended as ';gentle' methods, I also would not use coins shaken at dogs or spray a dog. These are both punishments for bad behaviour, rather than refocusing the dog to do what you prefer it to do. Ignoring is really the single most effective way to train away from an unwanted behaviour, but takes a bit more time and patience.

And be sure to read this immediately! It should make you feel a lot better and help you think through all this:

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/puppystuff.html

ALL her stuff on dog language, on what dogs think about our postures, about how kids can learn to stand and play correctly with a puppy -- are excellent and should be very helpful to your family.

Thanks, everyone! I feel a lot better today about Daisy -- like a lot of things, when you are down and it's late at night, everything seems bleaker. The next morning it doesn't seem so bad.

I've read all the advice and really appreciate it. It is frustrating, though, when you read/hear that you will probably have to do a scruff shake to get her attention and then in the next minute you read that that very thing will damage her/our relationship.

Today, I have separated the kids from her and when she started to get nasty with me (growling, turning her head to bite me), I put her in her crate and walked away.

I'm just going to try to work on consistency with her biting, and then we will be doing a puppy class at the end of August. After that, we will see where we stand. Hopefully these things, along with the passage of time, will resolve our issues.

I especially thank those people who offered me empathy and said that they often felt the same way as I am feeling. It gives me hope that we will have the kind of relationship I have dreamed about. I'm not a quitter and it really helps to hear that lots of Cavalier loyalists didn't have it all rosy in the beginning either.

As far as the training thing goes (sit, down, rollover), I think she really likes it. I think she is as smart as a tack and this really engages her mind. It's one of the few things that snaps her out of her frenzied periods. It's not that I think it's crucial right now, but it seems like something cooperative that we do together that doesn't involve corrections or anhything negative on either side. That and fetch are our lifesaving activities at this point!

Thanks, again, everyone!

DeAnna said:
Thanks, everyone! I feel a lot better today about Daisy -- like a lot of things, when you are down and it's late at night, everything seems bleaker. The next morning it doesn't seem so bad.

I'm glad everything seems better this morning. Sometimes it just helps to vent and get those frustrations out!!

DeAnna said:
I've read all the advice and really appreciate it. It is frustrating, though, when you read/hear that you will probably have to do a scruff shake to get her attention and then in the next minute you read that that very thing will damage her/our relationship.

One scruff shake or a shout isnt going to make Daisy hate you. Even dogs who have experienced abuse and harsh conditions (which is NOT the same as a shout or scruff shake!) dont always turn into nasty biters. Especially with a little baby like you have, she will overcome (and forget) a lot of stuff. There are huge debates in dog training what is the best way to do things, so dont worry too much about damaging your relationship.

DeAnna said:
Today, I have separated the kids from her and when she started to get nasty with me (growling, turning her head to bite me), I put her in her crate and walked away.

I'm just going to try to work on consistency with her biting, and then we will be doing a puppy class at the end of August. After that, we will see where we stand. Hopefully these things, along with the passage of time, will resolve our issues.

It sounds like you've started a good strategy of dealing with the situation. Teaching the kids how to handle the dog is just as important as teaching the dog how to handle the kids. And the kids will definitely understand when the puppy is in timeout! (They will learn how timeout is necessary sometimes, maybe even for humans!!)

DeAnna said:
As far as the training thing goes (sit, down, rollover), I think she really likes it. I think she is as smart as a tack and this really engages her mind. It's one of the few things that snaps her out of her frenzied periods. It's not that I think it's crucial right now, but it seems like something cooperative that we do together that doesn't involve corrections or anhything negative on either side. That and fetch are our lifesaving activities at this point!

In my opinion, teaching some basic commands is a good thing for a pup this age. We taught Cedar to sit on command when she was probably 9 weeks of age. It helped out that she knew the command to distract her from negative behavior. when she jumped up, we could give the sit command. It ended the jumping behavior, and she felt rewarded for sitting. Now, at a year old, she knows to sit for attention rather than jumping. So a little bit of training at this age can pay off in the long run.

I'm glad you have a fresh start this morning. Puppy raising isnt easy, but it has its rewards!! I hope you keep us informed on how you are doing. Other who are waiting for their furball right now will have a more realistic understanding of what they are getting into because of your open and honest posts. Sharing experiences is one of the greatest benefits of online boards like this one!

Post some pics, too, if you find a spare minute!! ;)

DeAnna said:

glad to hear you are seeing things less painfully today.

about training/teaching a puppy or dog, or kids, i don't think there is a one size fits all right way, or a one size fits all wrong way. People disagree about child raising or dog raising methods, about using punishment, using only positive reinforcement, etc, but it's all in theory. What's right for an individual situation will come from the particular characteristics of those involved and their circumstances, a person's values, their temperment, their strenghts and their weaknesses, their lifestyle, their background.

When you ask a group of people for feedback or advice, all you can get is their own individual experience and beliefs, and these vary so much from person to person, you're going to get a mix. This can be a good thing, you get lots of perspectives and lots of choices.

You've found yourself in a challenging complicated situatioin. for me, just one small kid was quite a lot to deal with and to try to figure out what was right. you are brave to get a dog along with two kids and a husband! no wonder you are reeling a bit with a puppy who is stimulated by the family members and family members who are upset and hurt!

The best advice or counsel i ever got when i was raising my daughter, given my own anxiety about making some kind of irreversible mistakes, was that kids are not fragile little eggs in the egg toss of life (John Rosemond's metaphor). And a therapist I saw pointed out "There is a difference between letting her express her feelings and letting her be abusive." duh!? oh yeah, huh. Stating the obvious, yet when i was swimming in it, it was hard to see.

You are facing a steep learning curve where there really is no one right way to learn. :yikes

It sounds very hard to have a puppy who gets nasty. From your first post, i didn't really get that part, i thought it was all playful. If the growling is vicious, i'm not so sure that's normal after all. But i'm sure that it can be corrected at such a young age. you really have my sympathy for such behavior. Keeping her separate from the kids should bring some relief from worrying about anyone getting hurt.

I especially thank those people who offered me empathy and said that they often felt the same way as I am feeling. It gives me hope that we will have the kind of relationship I have dreamed about. I'm not a quitter and it really helps to hear that lots of Cavalier loyalists didn't have it all rosy in the beginning either.

reading about yours and others' experiences makes me thankful that i've been lucky with zack, he has always been very sweet and gentle and cooperative. I did deliberately get an older puppy, i wanted one who was 5 or 6 months. The woman i got him from mistakenly said he was 5 months but his birthdate showed that he was not quite 4 months, but by then, i was sure about wanting him. I had my own problems with him though in the beginning, and probably not unlike you, basically went through emotional hell and extreme stress because he was sick and was getting sicker and sicker, and vet bills were mounting fast, with no control over it, vets recommending expensive procedures, and no reason to have any confidence those would do any good, i was thinking about having to return sweet little Zack to the woman i got him from because i simply couldn't afford to go into debt thousands of dollars--I had signed him up for maximum coverage pet health insurance. But this was all happening during the first 30 days, when the coverage hadn't begun yet.

I can't begin to tell you the misery i felt at a time that i had thought would be fun and happy with my new puppy. Racing home from the office to get Zack and take him to the vet before they closed for emergency appointments, several vet visits a week, one medication after another that didnn't work, shoving several pills down his throat two and three times a day, coming home from the office to give him his medicine, watching him be listless and lifeless, watching him vomit, bloody diarrhea, feeling the weight of it all being on my shoulders to do something about all this, and nothing i did was working. i kept trying new vets and finally was lucky to try one who had the idea to deworm him and he was fine ever since, but before that, up until that day, almost every other day was so depressing, $1100 in vet bills just like that, with no end in sight, i had to seriously consider giving him back---that caused not only grief at the thought of it, but also of course major guilt.

Like you, i felt better when i asked people on these forums about what was happening and heard about other peoples' similar experiences. It helped a lot.

As far as the training thing goes (sit, down, rollover), I think she really likes it. I think she is as smart as a tack and this really engages her mind. It's one of the few things that snaps her out of her frenzied periods.

i was impressed when you wrote about that the first time. What a smart puppy. And a nice way for you and her to interact where she can be a success. i've watched those clicker training videos where they have preschool aged kids training 8 week old puppies to come and to sit with a clicker and a treat, and it's obviously fun for everybody. As i said, Zack was already 14 weeks when i got him, and after that first month of crisis, i started teaching him to sit and stay. I haven't been that consistent and he doesb't always seem to know what sit means, though sometimes he does, but he always stays. Somehow he gets that.

good luck with the things you are trying!

Back