• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

wow, innova evo

Claire said:
Hi Judy - I put it up on the side for him to see and then he barks and we put it on the floor - hold the other two and then he wolfs it down in one go..... we are probably wrong for doing this but it works.

:lol: picturing that cracks me up.

Zack's almost all on the Evo now, i still mix in a little CN lamb and rice, but he tries to pick out the Evo and leave the other. Stools are good, no gas, and he continues to eat it as if he really enjoys it. I am so glad i did this one last experiment in trying various kibbles. This one really appeals to him, and i feel happy seeing him enjoy it. The only further diet change i plan will be to get the Evo RM (Red Meat) and give it to him on alternating months as some people have reported doing, to give variety of nutrients.

Is Innova Evo the only kibble with such a high protein content and no grain?
Why aren't other brands offering this kind of food? And, if it's like cat food, then why is it not healthy to feed dogs cat food? and, while i'm on the subject, why DO dog food makers put grain in dog foods, if it's not natural for dogs? Inquiring minds want to know...

I stopped at a local pet supply store in my area this week. Talked to a sales assoc. regarding the EVO brand. I have one cavalier that needs to lose weight - I've cut her kibble down, supplemented with pumpkin, fruit and veggies, but don't know if she's actually losing much. One of the EVO brands is no carb/high protein, so it seems to make them fuller was what the salesperson was telling me. She has one of her "heavier" dogs on it now and her dog has lost a couple lbs.

My other cav, Sasha is worrying me b/c she seems to be losing weight. She had her larynx sutured open at age 3 (due to prolapse) and needs to have very small or crushed kibble. I'm worried that she's losing too much muscle mass - talking to the vet about possibly doing a throat scope to see if the opening has closed up too much. Anyway, I've been thinking about changing her to EVO small bites, to give her some more protein, etc. in her diet.

They are both on Natural Balance Reduced Caloric and have always liked it.

Are any of you using the EVO no carb/high protein brand? (for Sophie) Anyone using the small bites EVO kibble as well (for Sasha)?

thanx.

Sheri

Hi Sheri,
I have been feeding my cavs the Evo kibble for quite awhile. It's an interesting food in that it contains no grains, but it does have potatoes, apples, carrots, tomatoes, alfafa sprouts in addition to turkey, chicken, herring, eggs, and cottage cheese. Dogs seem to love it!

The kibbles are very small compared to other kibbles I've fed them, so I'm wondering how small the Evo small bites are. They must be tiny! The Evo has a little more calories than some kibbles, so you'll need to adjust the amount you're feeding. My dogs get about 1/3 cup twice a day. My girls actually get a little less than 1/3 cup.

If you change their food, you might want to do it gradually, mixing the new food into the current food in increasing larger amounts. Especially do this with the Evo, or they might get diarrhea if it is changed too quickly.

I personally would never feed my dogs a reduced calorie food, there is no need for that, I just give them a little less of the regular food.

There are also canned Evo foods that might be easier to swallow, unless she would try to swallow a big mouthful.

I hope your little Sasha feels better, does she wear a halter instead of a collar? If not, there are some very nice soft cloth halters that are very popular with the folks on this site. My dogs are wearing theirs in my avatar photo.

The one i'm using, the Evo, is the high protein no grain one. Protein is 46% i think. You can no doubt look at the content of the Small Bites Innova on their website.

I just looked at the following link that has ratings. Innova small bite isn't listed. Probably the ratings are not as recent as when they came out with the smalll bite kind.
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showcat.php/cat/8

The thing is, i was looking for a small bite kibble too because the usual size of the kibbles i got was too big for zack, he really struggled with it, chewing up one piece at at ime. I was pleasantly surprised to find the Evo has smaller flatter pieces than the others i'd tried. Zack can stand over the bowl and eat it instead of taking one piece at a time over on the carpet to lay down and slowly chew it up. It makes me wonder how small the small bite kind is. I looked at the bag at the store, but it has grains in it and i wanted to try the no grain type. So i was pleasantly surprised at the small size of the kibble pieces.

In looking at the link above, i did see that there are other brands as well that have no grain kibbles, including Nature's Variety Prairie Raw Instinct, Timberwolf Organics Wild and Natural, and Solid Gold Barking At the Moon. Those are all their 6 star highest rated foods. The rating system seems to place a lot of weight on omitting grains.

The highest protein one i see there is the Innova Evo Reduced Fat which has 52%. That's twice as much as most kibbles. The regular Evo that i have is 42%. The other premium kibbles i was feeding had around 24-26% protein, and included grain. California Natural Lamb and Rice was the one i was mostly using, that he seemed to like a little better. The kibble pieces were too big though. The protein content was only 21%.

Back