• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Heidi has a tiny lump on her shoulder

Mimi

When grooming Heidi today i noticed a pea sized lump on her shoulder . It appears to be a tiny syst . I'm scared stiff, Ruby got one on her tummy and it enlarged . When she went to have it removed at the vet's she died of a massive heart attack when they gave her the pre med. Is this going to happen again . Any advice from someone who has had something similar or am I being paranoid.
Mimi

I'm so sorry that you had that terrible experience :yikes . Did the vet explain why she had the heart attack? Was it due to anaesthesia or an existing heart condition, or something like that? I can see why you'd be wary.

Do have it checked though; most lumps are just fatty deposits or cysts and seem relatively common (I have seen the issue come up many times on animal discussion sites and never yet has a lump been anything serious). But you always want to make sure. Sometimes a hard lump forms at the site of injections as well. Your vet can probably tell by looking at it whether there's a need to do anything further.

I think it would be very rare to have the kind of tragedy you had with Ruby but talking to your vet would give you better insight into the risk factors.

Also have a read of this:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/lumps.html

Mimi said:
When grooming Heidi today i noticed a pea sized lump on her shoulder . It appears to be a tiny syst . I'm scared stiff, Ruby got one on her tummy and it enlarged . When she went to have it removed at the vet's she died of a massive heart attack when they gave her the pre med. Is this going to happen again . Any advice from someone who has had something similar or am I being paranoid.
Mimi

Could it be where she was last innoculated?? Our boy had a lump for 3 months-- It got bigger and within a week (and two vet visits later) it disappeared. It was the last shot he got in the shoulder area-- we now do shots in the fleshy area around the thigh. Sandy

Have you been outside a lot lately? My mom's Papillon was getting bumps while she was visiting my family in KY, and hers are chiggers and mosquito bites... :yuk:

Lump

Two of my dogs developed lumps after their shots, the lumps were there for several months. I don't know how long it was before the lumps appeared after the shots, but it frightened me. I was told this often happens and eventually they left. Hopefully this is your situation. We will think positive! :)
Pam

i'm really sorry to hear about what happened to ruby. :( i'm sure it's not a common thing. Good for you for being so on top of things and noticing the lump and getting it checked out. no wonder you are anxious. what a trauma with ruby. good luck mimi, Heidi should be fine.

Thanks for the encouraging words , I think she did get her last shots in the shoulder so maybe thats it . I'll keep a close eye on it to see if there are any changes.
Ruby's reaction was probably an existing heart condition even though we had her heart checked out at every vet visit. Ruby wasnt as healthy as Heidi and Nifa apart from regular check ups They have only had one vet visit each for something other than shots etc whereas Ruby was with the vet for her eyes , her anal sacs , etc at least once a month if not more often.
I'm really worried when any lump or bump appears on the girls after Ruby so fingers crossed
mimi

Good luck Mimi and Heidi,

Let's just hope it was from the injection or is a simple cyst. It's not a wart type thing is it? Maxx has two of these and apparently, Cavaliers get them a lot.

So sorry to hear about Ruby, I think some of our angels are only put here for a short time as they are so special.

Take care :flwr:

Several months back I found a lump on Shelby's neck. Scared me to death after going through cancer with Jake. I immediately took her to the vet's for analysis....it was a fatty deposit and went away on it's own. Whew...what a relief.

Update on Heidi , with the vet for a check up , and he is not concerned about her lump. He knows my worries as he was Ruby's vet also. He checked her out thoroughly as I have been worried about her scratching that it could be SM . We have been treating her ear with oticlean ( I think thats the spelling) and he found that she has an inner ear infection which explains all the scratching. What a relief totally treatable . She is on a course of antibiotics ans we have noticed a reduction in scratching in afew days. He checked over both Heidi and Nifa and is very happy with their condition . I cant believe how lucky I am. 2 happy healthy girls , when the ear infection is cured.
mimi

Great news! that's the best kind of diagnosis, something treatable. Glad the lump is not worrisome. thanks for the update.

Good news on both fronts! Jaspar had an ear infection recently too and it really gets them scratching. His ear canal was very red and irritated and drops helped within days.

Back